LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 128 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
ONLY weather can slow down B-Rock Steady Purdy !!

The Browns game showed it, tho it was BAD MOODY RYSIN who really cost us the game on that one..

then last Sunday, B-Rock really showed why he in trouble when the rain comes down..

For sure, I thought the Browns game was an anomaly, I was wrong. All good though, clear skies on Sunday!!
Originally posted by BP13:
Originally posted by 9moon:
ONLY weather can slow down B-Rock Steady Purdy !!

The Browns game showed it, tho it was BAD MOODY RYSIN who really cost us the game on that one..

then last Sunday, B-Rock really showed why he in trouble when the rain comes down..

For sure, I thought the Browns game was an anomaly, I was wrong. All good though, clear skies on Sunday!!

His next contract should include a dome from Jed
Originally posted by Montana:

Sometimes I don't even know how he walks around with all that weight he's carrying around down there
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
was at the game and haven't watched the replay yet..but I just heard Rice on our local radio that Purdy switched the ball from his right hand to left, wiped his hand and then switched the ball back to his right hand while still making the throw ?

any clips ?

that's completely ridiculous to see
we need a big hands QB2, aka the rain QB

He'll be fine. Whether it's learning to play with a glove, or Brendel dipping his crotch in rosin, there's a solution that doesn't involve playing another guy when the season is on the line. Brock was perfect on the final drive (only incompletion being a ball that hit Kittle in the chest) and there was still rain, so it's probably just a matter of Brock figuring out a different grip or whatever.
Originally posted by Chance:
He'll be fine. Whether it's learning to play with a glove, or Brendel dipping his crotch in rosin, there's a solution that doesn't involve playing another guy when the season is on the line. Brock was perfect on the final drive (only incompletion being a ball that hit Kittle in the chest) and there was still rain, so it's probably just a matter of Brock figuring out a different grip or whatever.

I tend to think he can get better, or get more comfortable with a glove in time.

He obviously struggled on some throws, but a handful of the missed also appeared to be other issues, like timing related to receivers being re-routed and/or slipping, and Brock getting his arm hit on a couple of plays as well.

That was another thing JTO highlighted in his review… Brock taking multiple hits on his throwing arm. We obviously would like to do everything we can to avoid that.

Brock has the same size hands as mahommes. Lol he throws just fine in the rain. I'd imagine it has more to do with grip strength or just how he grabs the ball. Some guys squeeze the ball when they're throwing (in a light capacity) and some just let it rest in their hand. I'm not a pro at this but I'd imagine it has something to do with that.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I tend to think he can get better, or get more comfortable with a glove in time.

He obviously struggled on some throws, but a handful of the missed also appeared to be other issues, like timing related to receivers being re-routed and/or slipping, and Brock getting his arm hit on a couple of plays as well.

That was another thing JTO highlighted in his review… Brock taking multiple hits on his throwing arm. We obviously would like to do everything we can to avoid that.

Yeah, there were a handful of throws that I thought he just missed when I was watching it live but his arm was hit. One was a throw over the middle to Aiyuk - he ran a great route and had a ton of room to run (possibly house call) but protection didn't hold up and they hit Brock's arm as he threw it.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Brock has the same size hands as mahommes. Lol he throws just fine in the rain. I'd imagine it has more to do with grip strength or just how he grabs the ball. Some guys squeeze the ball when they're throwing (in a light capacity) and some just let it rest in their hand. I'm not a pro at this but I'd imagine it has something to do with that.

I know you are pro Brock as it gets, and I dig all your posts,
I just don't see how we can say he throws just fine in rain, he has definite issues. The normal pinpoint Brock he was a lil all over the place. I think all QBs have to deal with it some better than others, he doesn't handle it well, from the current sample size.

I just don't see how we can say he throws just fine in rain, he has definite issues. The normal pinpoint Brock he was a lil all over the place. I think all QBs have to deal with it some better than others, he doesn't handle it well, from the current sample size.

Huh? I didn't say he didn't have issues throwing in the rain. He obviously does - what I said was that I don't think the size of his hands are the issue. Like I said, he has the same hand size as mahommes and he doesn't have the same rain struggles.

his hands are pretty average size for the entire league. He doesn't have the smallest hands in the league like kenny pickett does.

which leads me to believe that his issues throwing in the rain have more to do with the way he holds/grips the ball or his grip strength. I've seen some QBs really grip the ball when they're throwing it and I've seen where some just kinda let it rest in their hand - idk what the best or proper way is.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
was at the game and haven't watched the replay yet..but I just heard Rice on our local radio that Purdy switched the ball from his right hand to left, wiped his hand and then switched the ball back to his right hand while still making the throw ?

any clips ?

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Pretty cool!
wow.. it is pretty cool and the processing power with this kid to multitask in that pressure with little time

Time to build a dome for him

Huh? I didn't say he didn't have issues throwing in the rain. He obviously does - what I said was that I don't think the size of his hands are the issue. Like I said, he has the same hand size as mahommes and he doesn't have the same rain struggles.

his hands are pretty average size for the entire league. He doesn't have the smallest hands in the league like kenny pickett does.

which leads me to believe that his issues throwing in the rain have more to do with the way he holds/grips the ball or his grip strength. I've seen some QBs really grip the ball when they're throwing it and I've seen where some just kinda let it rest in their hand - idk what the best or proper way is.

Maybe I misinterpreted I thought you were saying Brock throws just fine in the rain, but I see now you were probably saying that, about Mahomes.

Jordan Love didn't seem that great in the rain did he? He had "almost interceptions" and 2 ACTUAL INTERCEPTIONS. All QB's struggle in the rain. I think it's over blown. That said I would like to see him play better in the rain. Maybe get used to the glove for rainy games. He's just not used to it. That's all. But I think the grip is better with that. Than bare hand.

Maybe I misinterpreted I thought you were saying Brock throws just fine in the rain, but I see now you were probably saying that, about Mahomes.

Yeah, I meant that towards Mahommes. I probably could of written that better.

brock def has an issue with wet conditions. The only silver lining In the Cleveland and GB game is that he got us in position to win the game both times (losing one).

It's not something we have to worry about for the rest of this season but I'll be curious to read about his workouts and all that this year - what he targets and how. I really think it's more of how he grips or his grip strength. It's got to be hard to remain confident and consistent throwing the ball when you all of a sudden are gripping the ball different in a game.
Bomani Jones was on 95.7 this morning calling Brock mediocre and all the usual stupid takes that the National Media has, but he mentioned Jimmy and it really got me thinking. While I personally think the on field comparison of Jimmy and Brock is absolutely ridiculous, he brought up one thing that I think is very similar: the defense of the two.

He mentioned that when the media criticized Jimmy, that Kyle, the players and a faction of fans got really emotional and were quick to defend Jimmy against the not so stellar reports of his play. And now that they saw Jimmy play horrendous football without Kyle and our offense, the National Media feels they were correct all along with their takes on Jimmy. Which, lets be honest....they absolutely were.

Now, those same media members who criticized Jimmy are getting the exact same kind of push back from the same people with their takes on Brock.

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a mediocre at best QB like Jimmy did?

So to an extent, I totally understand why they arent quick to believe Brock is the real deal like the majority of us do. They dont watch all the games, and are hearing the same people say the same things in response to them. I get it. I just completely disagree.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Bomani Jones was on 95.7 this morning calling Brock mediocre and all the usual stupid takes that the National Media has, but he mentioned Jimmy and it really got me thinking. While I personally think the on field comparison of Jimmy and Brock is absolutely ridiculous, he brought up one thing that I think is very similar: the defense of the two.

He mentioned that when the media criticized Jimmy, that Kyle, the players and a faction of fans got really emotional and were quick to defend Jimmy against the not so stellar reports of his play. And now that they saw Jimmy play horrendous football without Kyle and our offense, the National Media feels they were correct all along with their takes on Jimmy. Which, lets be honest....they absolutely were.

Now, those same media members who criticized Jimmy are getting the exact same kind of push back from the same people with their takes on Brock.

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a mediocre at best QB like Jimmy did?

So to an extent, I totally understand why they arent quick to believe Brock is the real deal like the majority of us do. They dont watch all the games, and are hearing the same people say the same things in response to them. I get it. I just completely disagree.

I think people should see it rightfully as a positive thing about the culture here in 49ersland. Our team doesn't throw each other under the bus. In this day and age, it's admirable as hell the way our players stick up for one another.
Share 49ersWebzone