LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 242 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Bomani Jones was on 95.7 this morning calling Brock mediocre and all the usual stupid takes that the National Media has, but he mentioned Jimmy and it really got me thinking. While I personally think the on field comparison of Jimmy and Brock is absolutely ridiculous, he brought up one thing that I think is very similar: the defense of the two.

He mentioned that when the media criticized Jimmy, that Kyle, the players and a faction of fans got really emotional and were quick to defend Jimmy against the not so stellar reports of his play. And now that they saw Jimmy play horrendous football without Kyle and our offense, the National Media feels they were correct all along with their takes on Jimmy. Which, lets be honest....they absolutely were.

Now, those same media members who criticized Jimmy are getting the exact same kind of push back from the same people with their takes on Brock.

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a mediocre at best QB like Jimmy did?

So to an extent, I totally understand why they arent quick to believe Brock is the real deal like the majority of us do. They dont watch all the games, and are hearing the same people say the same things in response to them. I get it. I just completely disagree.

This and the fact that Brock looks like a high schooler. Those are the main reasons people dismiss what Brock is doing IMO.

Brock being the last pick in the draft is overblown... if Brock looked like Josh Allen, fans of other teams would be more accepting.
Bomani Jones was on 95.7 this morning calling Brock mediocre and all the usual stupid takes that the National Media has, but he mentioned Jimmy and it really got me thinking. While I personally think the on field comparison of Jimmy and Brock is absolutely ridiculous, he brought up one thing that I think is very similar: the defense of the two.

He mentioned that when the media criticized Jimmy, that Kyle, the players and a faction of fans got really emotional and were quick to defend Jimmy against the not so stellar reports of his play. And now that they saw Jimmy play horrendous football without Kyle and our offense, the National Media feels they were correct all along with their takes on Jimmy. Which, lets be honest....they absolutely were.

Now, those same media members who criticized Jimmy are getting the exact same kind of push back from the same people with their takes on Brock.

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a medioItcre at best QB like Jimmy did?

So to an extent, I totally understand why they arent quick to believe Brock is the real deal like the majority of us do. They dont watch all the games, and are hearing the same people say the same things in response to them. I get it. I just completely disagree.

That is a huge part of it.

Just wish these talking heads would watch the film and see how head and shoulders above Jimmy Brock is in what he's doing.
  • thl408

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a mediocre at best QB like Jimmy did?

49er fans that were honest with what they were seeing knew Jimmy was being propped up by his supporting cast. It's unfortunate that Brock is being lumped in as being a QB propped up by his supporting cast. We know it isn't the case, but only prolonged success over multiple seasons will get the national media to change their view on Brock. We as 49er fans are better off not caring what the national media thinks and view it as a positive that Brock continues to be doubted. It's been this way his entire football playing career, being overlooked, and it's gotten him this far.
Originally posted by thl408:
49er fans that were honest with what they were seeing knew Jimmy was being propped up by his supporting cast. It's unfortunate that Brock is being lumped in as being a QB propped up by his supporting cast. We know it isn't the case, but only prolonged success over multiple seasons will get the national media to change their view on Brock. We as 49er fans are better off not caring what the national media thinks and view it as a positive that Brock continues to be doubted. It's been this way his entire football playing career, being overlooked, and it's gotten him this far.

Keep that chip right where it is.

Agreed. But to me, it just speaks to the surface level analysis of the hot takes industrial complex, than it does to grinding one's nose in actual film analysis. Jimmy thrived in this system (relatively speaking) because he had a lightning quick release and Kyle used that to our advantage. Brock thrives because his anticipation and ability to progress through his reads is as JTO calls it, world class. Just simply turning on the tape shows why Brock is different and would thrive in other systems, but the people that populate sports shows don't care to do that kind of homework; it would entail actually doing something other than coiffing their hair for the cameras.
[ Edited by Chance on Jan 24, 2024 at 11:24 AM ]

Don't see a problem with people being hesitant to crown Brock a top QB because they know his job is 'easier' than nearly every other QB. That was true for both Jimmy and Brock. But it doesn't take much to see that Brock is a better player than Jimmy. It's beyond lazy to ignore the differences in their play and just make the blanket claim that the team helped both of them.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Don't see a problem with people being hesitant to crown Brock a top QB because they know his job is 'easier' than nearly every other QB. That was true for both Jimmy and Brock. But it doesn't take much to see that Brock is a better player than Jimmy. It's beyond lazy to ignore the differences in their play and just make the blanket claim that the team helped both of them.

It's all about who the comparisons are to.

It's perfectly acceptable to think CJ Stroud is better than Brock Purdy now and going forward. It's crazy to think Justin Fields is. Too many takes are in the crazy realm.

I've felt like for a while that Jimmy has a lot to do with the criticism of Brock. I think it's easier for us diehards to realize the difference because we watched every Jimmy game and every Brock game, we can see and understand the difference between the two.

that's why I don't get why people get so riled up about talking heads cause you know they only see the prime time games, and Brock hasn't looked good in the last two.

I'd probably feel the same way if I didn't watch and follow the niners the way I do. Or at least somewhat similar.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It's all about who the comparisons are to.

It's perfectly acceptable to think CJ Stroud is better than Brock Purdy now and going forward. It's crazy to think Justin Fields is. Too many takes are in the crazy realm.

Is Stroud better than Purdy though? I wouldn't dismiss the argument as being absurd, but that's not really what their body of work shows imo. And this is the problem with the media. Put on the tape. Just put on the tape and tell me who out there is playing as well as Purdy. Not many dudes. How many QBs are throwing with the type of anticipation and accuracy that Purdy is on a consistent basis? I mean, it's pretty remarkable how well Purdy processes the game. I just don't see that level of processing from Stroud. Not saying he isn't throwing with anticipation and doing a lot of things really well, but if I'm starting a team today, I still take Purdy over him.

I do. I have a huge problem with this. People didnt discount Joe Montana because he had Bill Walsh, the best WR ever and a bunch of other weapons. Montana flourished with what he had. To this point, so has Brock.

Now what I dont have a problem with is people wanting to see Brock do this over multiple seasons before they crown him a top QB. That's very fair to think, and is actually in line with what I believe. Brock has been unbelievable this season, and based on his skillset, I cant see him just falling off a cliff. But to be considered a top or elite QB, elite play needs to happen over the course of multiple seasons.

Originally posted by Chance:
Is Stroud better than Purdy though? I wouldn't dismiss the argument as being absurd, but that's not really what their body of work shows imo. And this is the problem with the media. Put on the tape. Just put on the tape and tell me who out there is playing as well as Purdy. Not many dudes. How many QBs are throwing with the type of anticipation and accuracy that Purdy is on a consistent basis? I mean, it's pretty remarkable how well Purdy processes the game. I just don't see that level of processing from Stroud. Not saying he isn't throwing with anticipation and doing a lot of things really well, but if I'm starting a team today, I still take Purdy over him.

The body of work for Stroud is pretty damn good and when you factor in the lack of surrounding talent in comparison it makes sense. I watched a lot of him this year and he throws with anticipation at a very high level (Not Brocks level but not far off). Has a better arm though so that has to factor too.

I don't think most teams would take Purdy over him right now. Honestly he's the only "young" qb that I think that claim can be made about, including Trevor.

My point was you can make arguments for guys over Brock. But when it's the Jared Goffs or Baker Mayfields or even arguing Justin Fields because he's a "playmaker" it gets ridiculous.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The body of work for Stroud is pretty damn good and when you factor in the lack of surrounding talent in comparison it makes sense. I watched a lot of him this year and he throws with anticipation at a very high level (Not Brocks level but not far off). Has a better arm though so that has to factor too.

I don't think most teams would take Purdy over him right now. Honestly he's the only "young" qb that I think that claim can be made about, including Trevor.

My point was you can make arguments for guys over Brock. But when it's the Jared Goffs or Baker Mayfields or even arguing Justin Fields because he's a "playmaker" it gets ridiculous.

Yeah, that's fair. Stroud has certainly had an incredible start to his career, and my thinking of Brock being better is more of an assessment of how special he is than any sort of indictment on Stroud. And admittedly, I'm biased, but man, we could be looking at an all-time great if he continues on this trajectory. And I think the same could be said of Stroud. Time will be the judge.

It's ridiculous because, all of these top QBs who "carry" their team aren't winning Lombardis. The exception being Mahomes whom everybody acknowledges is #1 without argument. Even the great Mahomes is having a down year with shot WR play. Look at the conversation around the Chargers wasting the career of Herbert. NOBODY is winning by themselves. That's why Rodger's has one ring. Lamar - 0, Allen - 0, Burrow - 0. The fancy yards and TDs are great against s**t teams all year, but when you get to the playoffs that s**t don't mean nothing.

The Packers are a legit good team. They are young and had to figure things out with a new QB. Instead of people admitting that they were wrong about the Packers, they would rather push a hard line against the 49ers. All year they said Brock never had a game winning drive. 49ers can't win dirty. Now they gotta find a way to hate in a different way.
Yeah, that's fair. Stroud has certainly had an incredible start to his career, and my thinking of Brock being better is more of an assessment of how special he is than any sort of indictment on Stroud. And admittedly, I'm biased, but man, we could be looking at an all-time great if he continues on this trajectory. And I think the same could be said of Stroud. Time will be the judge.

Right. Just saying thats not a crazy take.

But to suggest we need to trade for Justin Fields like Greg Jennings did. Absurd.
People comparing Jimmy G and Brock Purdy either don't watch the games at all or don't understand football. Certainly they don't understand or watch the film. It's just absurd.
Share 49ersWebzone