LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 237 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
In Todays clown show Greg Jennings said Niners should move off Brock and sign Justin fields.

Why would we sign Justin Fields? We already have Christian McCaffrey.
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Jan 24, 2024 at 12:31 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Crown:
In Todays clown show Greg Jennings said Niners should move off Brock and sign Justin fields.

Why would we sign Justin Fields? We already have Christian McCaffrey.

Of course Greg Jennings wants the 49ers to move away from Brock. He's a former Packer and is sick of GB getting whooped in the playoffs. James Jones (former Packer) also doesn't like Brock and probably for the same reasons.
Some people don't understand the Niners with Kyle Shanahan. He had collected a bunch of playmakers on offense through the years. The most critical part of the qb position in this offense is to get the ball out on time, into the windows to the playmakers, let them make plays. No matter how athletic the qb is, if he can't do the processing, he's not good for Kyle. This offense does not lack anything that an athletic, big arm qb can provide to compensate.

This is why people can't wrap their thinking around guys like Brock, Brady, Brees, Manning would be really good in this offense, just as elite as the other guys running around throwing darts.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Some people don't understand the Niners with Kyle Shanahan. He had collected a bunch of playmakers on offense through the years. The most critical part of the qb position in this offense is to get the ball out on time, into the windows to the playmakers, let them make plays. No matter how athletic the qb is, if he can't do the processing, he's not good for Kyle. This offense does not lack anything that an athletic, big arm qb can provide to compensate.

This is why people can't wrap their thinking around guys like Brock, Brady, Brees, Manning would be really good in this offense, just as elite as the other guys running around throwing darts.
Yeah, both Kittle and Juszczyk have been on the 49ers since 2017. Kyle's kept his superstars and paid them well and then just drafted guys like Deebo and Aiyuk. He Added CMC and you have a powerhouse offense. A QB that can be accurate between the 10 to 30 yard area is deadly in this offense because of the zone run game that Kyle bases his play action pass offense on.

I think a guy like Brock is perfect for Kyle's offense. Deadly Accurate in the 10 to 30 yard area, mobile, and has an incredible processor (Brady like level processing) that can defeat blitzes and Kyle can build a formidable offense around him. Really, the only thing lacking to make this a perfect offense is a stronger right side of the offensive line.
Originally posted by thl408:
49er fans that were honest with what they were seeing knew Jimmy was being propped up by his supporting cast. It's unfortunate that Brock is being lumped in as being a QB propped up by his supporting cast. We know it isn't the case, but only prolonged success over multiple seasons will get the national media to change their view on Brock. We as 49er fans are better off not caring what the national media thinks and view it as a positive that Brock continues to be doubted. It's been this way his entire football playing career, being overlooked, and it's gotten him this far.

I will have to take minor exception to that. The idea that Jimmy was being propped up by his playmakers is the same argument that people are making towards Brock, and yet there are people in this forum you will argue that, while it was true of Jimmy, it isn't true of Brock. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have argued that, part of the reason the Niners lead the league so often in YAC is that Jimmy was pretty good at putting the ball in a position where receivers could catch it in stride and keep going, and every time I made that case there would be a ton of pushback from people arguing how YAC was really a WR stat and Jimmy had nothing to do with it.

For reasons of their own, it seems they don't take that same view in regard to Brock. The difference between Brock and Jimmy is that Brock sees the field better, and throws with better anticipation, while Jimmy's quick release perhaps caused him to wait a little longer for the route to develop and maybe led to a lot of those picks over the middle. Ball placement is a huge factor in a WR's ability to run after the catch and I think Brock and Jimmy both contributed to their receiver's success in that regard.

I think Brock's nature is also maybe a little more aggressive when it comes to taking down field shots. Jimmy always said that he wanted to do that, but I'm not sure he ever had as much confidence in it that Brock has. There is no arguing that Jimmy had his limitations as a QB, but the fact remains that as the QB of the team, he helped, and I am underlining that for emphasis for the "Oh, he never carried the team" crowd, get to three NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl. He was also, by all accounts, a valuable asset in the locker room and helped change the culture of the team in a way that contributed to the path they're now on. Speaking for myself, I think he deserves some credit and our thanks for helping turn the team a round. Sucks he couldn't get the ring, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Go Niners!
I have been a Niner Fan since John Brodie, plus followed NFL in general, and I have never seen any QB in the league inanely evaluated the way Purdy has been by many of these "gurus". Skip Brainless, Ryan Clark, etc. all usual the klowns plus the worthless opinions of Cam Newton and Amy Trask. These Opinionators are quick to render their assessments but apparently they just don't make the effort to watch film analysis of Purdy games. The play-by-play analysis shows the truth. Purdy is the only QB I have seen that, whatever the results, is always compared to perfection. If he isn't absolutely perfect, then he had a bad game.
Even when Niners win, if they don't blow out their opponent, then Purdy has a bad game. When the Niners win, well, that's because they're talented and Purdy is along for the ride. The utterings of these naysayers are beyond wrong, they are inane. I suppose the Niner haters and fans of other teams who were knocked out by the Niners need to have somewhere to go to make themselves feel better, and these klowns give them a home. That's why as we get close to the next game I don't even look at much of the online material because i don't need anyone to tell us Niner fans what we already know and I especially don't need to waste time on the klowns.
When I watch that play in the win against the Packers, where Purdy got out of the pocket to his right and (on the run) threw a strike to Kittle in the end zone, that one play alone relegates all the Purdy naysayers to the trash bin. That was a Montana-like play.
[ Edited by NoCalNinerFan2024 on Jan 24, 2024 at 1:03 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Bomani Jones was on 95.7 this morning calling Brock mediocre and all the usual stupid takes that the National Media has, but he mentioned Jimmy and it really got me thinking. While I personally think the on field comparison of Jimmy and Brock is absolutely ridiculous, he brought up one thing that I think is very similar: the defense of the two.

He mentioned that when the media criticized Jimmy, that Kyle, the players and a faction of fans got really emotional and were quick to defend Jimmy against the not so stellar reports of his play. And now that they saw Jimmy play horrendous football without Kyle and our offense, the National Media feels they were correct all along with their takes on Jimmy. Which, lets be honest....they absolutely were.

Now, those same media members who criticized Jimmy are getting the exact same kind of push back from the same people with their takes on Brock.

While I personally think its incredibly unfair to Brock to compare him to Jimmy, the same narrative is around that he is being carried by his team. And when these National Media members are getting the same push back from the same people about Brock, they are most likely thinking about how they have read this story before and that they were the ones who were correct last time....so why would they be wrong this time about the last pick in the draft with what they perceive as limited physical tools flourishing in the same system a medioItcre at best QB like Jimmy did?

So to an extent, I totally understand why they arent quick to believe Brock is the real deal like the majority of us do. They dont watch all the games, and are hearing the same people say the same things in response to them. I get it. I just completely disagree.

That is a huge part of it.

Just wish these talking heads would watch the film and see how head and shoulders above Jimmy Brock is in what he's doing.

I Agree also. That's a big part of it that is feeding the narrative that Brock is just ordinary and Kyle is the *real* star. Of course that narrative is false, and they have to watch the Superbowl - like the 49er fans - if they want to watch REAL football in February. Once they *actually watch* Brock play, I'm pretty sure they will have to change their minds -- that is if they have any football IQ left after being drained of intelligence points by Social Media.
the brock purdy hate is going thermonuclear this week
They currently have him in a lose, lose situation.

* Win the Super Bowl - it was expected. He's on a great team. He got dragged there by his team.
* Lose and don't make the Super Bowl - they failed because of Purdy. Trade for Fields. Anybody is better here.

What do they want him to do?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the brock purdy hate is going thermonuclear this week

People claiming Fields would be an upgrade, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NoCalNinerFan2024:
I have been a Niner Fan since John Brodie, plus followed NFL in general, and I have never seen any QB in the league inanely evaluated the way Purdy has been by many of these "gurus". Skip Brainless, Ryan Clark, etc. all usual the klowns plus the worthless opinions of Cam Newton and Amy Trask. These Opinionators are quick to render their assessments but apparently they just don't make the effort to watch film analysis of Purdy games. The play-by-play analysis shows the truth.
Even when Niners win, if they don't blow out their opponent, then Purdy has a bad game. When the Niners win, well, that's because they're talented and Purdy is along for the ride. The utterings of these naysayers are beyond wrong, they are inane. I suppose the Niner haters and fans of other teams who were knocked out by the Niners need to have somewhere to go to make themselves feel better, and these klowns give them a home. That's why as we get close to the next game I don't even look at much of the online material because i don't need anyone to tell us Niner fans what we already know and I especially don't need to waste time on the klowns.
When I watch that play in the win against the Packers, where Purdy got out of the pocket to his right and (on the run) threw a strike to Kittle in the end zone, that one play alone relegates all the Purdy naysayers to the trash bin. That was a Montana-like play.

That was a 40 yard pass, and deadly accurate thrown on the run. Brock didn't even heave it like a javelin throw, he basically flicked his wrist and it went 40 yards. I still can't believe folks say that his arm is a negative after seeing a throw like that. His arm is above average, for the Football God's sake. Now Add in the Mahomes/Lamar-like mobility on that play too, and people still call him a below average athlete. Unbelievable! My only explanation is they simply don't watch the game.
Brock elevates this offense. You would have to be blind not to see it. That TD pass to Kittle was a dime while on the run. But because it was our first TD and not our last, it doesn't get highlighted.

That GWD was f**king superb. It was great playcalling by Kyle and even better execution by Brock. The only play that didn't gain yards was the clear drop by Kittle. Some folks were pointing out that Brock had Aiyuk coming open in the endzone and should have waited a split second to throw it to him. I personally think Brock did the right thing there. He ran the ball down to the 6 yard line and made it 3rd & 1. It also ran 48 seconds off the clock. At that point we had GB's defense on their heels. We really could have ran anything so GB couldn't sell out to stop the run. Kyle called the perfect play at the perfect time.

That drive was something of beauty and it was Brock's ability to read the coverage, get the ball out on time, QB sneak and scramble that made it all possible. What QB have we had under Kyle that can do all of those things while under immense pressure?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
was at the game and haven't watched the replay yet..but I just heard Rice on our local radio that Purdy switched the ball from his right hand to left, wiped his hand and then switched the ball back to his right hand while still making the throw ?

any clips ?

Pretty cool!

So this play is also the play where we saw Purdy yelling "what are you doing." Would have been a first down if Ray Ray doesn't change the route, also added to the "Purdy is off" feel during that stretch in the late 3rd to 4th Quarter.

here's Purdy talking about it today

Originally posted by Giedi:
That was a 40 yard pass, and deadly accurate thrown on the run. Brock didn't even heave it like a javelin throw, he basically flicked his wrist and it went 40 yards. I still can't believe folks say that his arm is a negative after seeing a throw like that. His arm is above average, for the Football God's sake. Now Add in the Mahomes/Lamar-like mobility on that play too, and people still call him a below average athlete. Unbelievable! My only explanation is they simply don't watch the game.

This. So many people were wrong about him that they have to keep sticking to their narrative, because they would rather not admit they were wrong. It's pathetic
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They currently have him in a lose, lose situation.

* Win the Super Bowl - it was expected. He's on a great team. He got dragged there by his team.
* Lose and don't make the Super Bowl - they failed because of Purdy. Trade for Fields. Anybody is better here.

What do they want him to do?

Break the system and tie in the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone