There are 256 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
I find this very interesting - Purdy told haberman today that the near pick Brock threw (which was fortunately dropped) made him tentative. I mean he is human, and inexperienced, but interesting he admitted that.

Kyle has to call a bit more runs in that situation to let Brock know he doesn't have to play hero ball.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Chance:
Yeah, that's fair. Stroud has certainly had an incredible start to his career, and my thinking of Brock being better is more of an assessment of how special he is than any sort of indictment on Stroud. And admittedly, I'm biased, but man, we could be looking at an all-time great if he continues on this trajectory. And I think the same could be said of Stroud. Time will be the judge.

Unfortunately for Stroud, he may be in an Alex Smith situation. Alex Smith had a revolving offensive coordinator situation, and he's had multiple systems every year he had to learn. He could never get comfortable in any of them until Harbaugh came in and made the offense more balanced with a credible schemed run game. I hope Stroud can overcome that difficult situation and I hope Demeco can get him some stability on that side of the ball.

Slowik is going to be a hot commodity.

For sure. Demeco is going to have to go after Kyle's quality control coaches if he wants a Kyle Shanahan deciple running his offense. Klint Kubiak and Brian Griese have been drawing a lot of NFL interest.
I find this very interesting - Purdy told haberman today that the near pick Brock threw (which was fortunately dropped) made him tentative. I mean he is human, and inexperienced, but interesting he admitted that.

Kyle has to call a bit more runs in that situation to let Brock know he doesn't have to play hero ball.

Yeah, I just wonder what made Brock make that throw. I remember JTO went over it but I can't remember
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, I just wonder what made Brock make that throw. I remember JTO went over it but I can't remember

I'm betting it's just rust, but that's just a guess.

I want see a clip of it
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

I want see a clip of it

Its pretty bad, just a bad read by him. No excuses, glad he was able to come back with a clutch drive at the end.

6:58 mark to see JohnnyDels breakdown on the near pick by Brock. Savage didn't bite and Brock threw it - just a bad read by him. Good play by savage (besides dropping it).

the false start made things more difficult too. Idk how the f**k you keep false stsrting AT HOME. Lol I think he did it twice.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 24, 2024 at 7:53 PM ]

6:58 mark to see JohnnyDels breakdown on the near pick by Brock. Savage didn't bite and Brock threw it - just a bad read by him. Good play by savage (besides dropping it).

Ok so it looks like Purdy read the wrong thing there, the play call was also no ideal for that coverage especially if you don't have another guy running a inside post to take that safety away, or at least another guy on a shorter dig route to give Purdy an easier dump off if needed.

the false start made things more difficult too. Idk how the f**k you keep false stsrting AT HOME. Lol I think he did it twice.
i called it last week.. mos def glad he dropped it

Ok so it looks like Purdy read the wrong thing there, the play call was also no ideal for that coverage especially if you don't have another guy running a inside post to take that safety away, or at least another guy on a shorter dig route to give Purdy an easier dump off if needed.

Today Purdy talked about how he was being too aggressive and needed to take the check down more often in this game. Which is what he did on the game winning drive.

Seemed like they did similar to what the ravens did. Brock just needs to take those chunk 4-6 yard dump offs until they get tighter and then he can get the chunk play.sounds like he's learning the right lesson.

i think if he relaxes and takes the dump offs more, it will also be long sustained drives that wear down the defense. Lions will be different cause their corners suck but I have no problem with him just taking what they defense gives and not turning it over.

love how grounded he is and how he learns so fast. Can't believe he's so seasoned already. He has a lot of room to grow but an amazing foundation.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
that's completely ridiculous to see
we need a big hands QB2, aka the rain QB

Brock has the same size hands as mahommes. Lol he throws just fine in the rain. I'd imagine it has more to do with grip strength or just how he grabs the ball. Some guys squeeze the ball when they're throwing (in a light capacity) and some just let it rest in their hand. I'm not a pro at this but I'd imagine it has something to do with that.

I can't believe ANY QB likes to play in the rain. It affects them ALL to a certain degree. What it doesn't stop them from doing (like Purdy this week) is winning the game. Anyone that remembers the Young years, also might recall that Aikman sucked in the rain…but he still got three rings. I really wish it had been a bigger problem…but it just wasn't. …and it shouldn't be for Purdy. He will grow and get better.

Today Purdy talked about how he was being too aggressive and needed to take the check down more often in this game. Which is what he did on the game winning drive.

Seemed like they did similar to what the ravens did. Brock just needs to take those chunk 4-6 yard dump offs until they get tighter and then he can get the chunk play.sounds like he's learning the right lesson.

i think if he relaxes and takes the dump offs more, it will also be long sustained drives that wear down the defense. Lions will be different cause their corners suck but I have no problem with him just taking what they defense gives and not turning it over.

love how grounded he is and how he learns so fast. Can't believe he's so seasoned already. He has a lot of room to grow but an amazing foundation.

Yeah, nothing wrong with taking one's time to feel out a defense.

I love being aggressive, but IMO you would need a very seasoned QB with possibly a lot of arm talent to be able to take a lot of chances early and get away with it.

This is perhaps why Garoppolo wasn't so bad......he would almost never be aggressive unless the situation called for it. He didn't have the skill to be able to do the more aggressive throwing like Purdy, hence the limitation.

This is all coaching.

Lots of confidence going these next two games for Purdy!!
Not saying Brock played great (which he usually does!) but it's just so odd to me that the expectation of Brock is he has to be perfect every game. I don't understand

Nuff said.
Share 49ersWebzone