There are 189 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:

ive never understood how fans don't realize this. In order for a skill player to get YAC, you need good timing and ball placement (usually). I think part of it is our system and the way it's designed but speaking in general. Sometimes a skill guy just makes a great play but overall, I've always felt like a qb should get credit if a team has a ton of YAC.

Yeah a large part of it is the system. For example, there are offenses that use curl routes, spread across the field in quiet areas, to beat zone coverage. While this works to beat zone, WRs are at a standstill when they make the catch. The 49ers do not usually do this. Their zone beating route combinations consist of routes with guys on the move so that if they make the catch, they are on the run and that promotes YAC.

Not all YAC is equal in terms of whether the major contributor on that play is the QB, the WR, or the scheme. And most plays it's a combination of all three. But to Aiyuk's point, yeah the QB definitely has a role.

Yup, classic example, the naked boot. If Purdy can hit Kittle in the middle of the field on those routes, Kittle can add another 10+ yards in YAC on top of the catch.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

A certain few speak facts and then theres the majority of ignore facts. I could see if Purdy dinked and dunked his way to the NFCC like Alex Smith did, then I wouldn't be so defensive. But Purdy throws dimes and is probably the most poised QB in the NFL. Purdy is #1 in the NFL when facing pressure, how is that a game manager or system QB??
Regarding the talking point that Purdy had trouble gripping the ball in the rain, I seem to recall wet conditions during at least one of his games in Seattle as well as the game in Philly. Likely, it wasn't as wet as this past game, but it seems like we've seen Purdy in wet games before (with Cleveland being another one). I seem to recall his hand hitting someone's helmet in the Washington game in the follow through on a pass -- but maybe I'm imagining things.

Is there something else going on with his hand?

Preach
Originally posted by Kolohe:
A certain few speak facts and then theres the majority of ignore facts. I could see if Purdy dinked and dunked his way to the NFCC like Alex Smith did, then I wouldn't be so defensive. But Purdy throws dimes and is probably the most poised QB in the NFL. Purdy is #1 in the NFL when facing pressure, how is that a game manager or system QB??

#1 when facing pressure? Dude is #1 at just about everything.

Ironic that the same people will also not give Kyle Coach of the Year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

That touchdown throw to Kittle was one of the best checkdowns I've ever seen.

Yeah, Purdy showing off his *weak* arm!
Josh Allen wishes he was half the game manager Brock Purdy is. If he was, the Bills would be playing this week.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Yeah it's annoying that Purdy seemingly can't have a bad game because if that's the case surely he's not the guy.
I'm impressed by Jordan Love and him and Lafleur will be dangerous for the next few years but he wasn't good at the end of the game.
Are we gonna say that Jordan Love is not the guy because he had a bad last drive with a horrible interception? No. I think the logical thing to say is that Love improved all season, had a great second half of the season and was impressive in the PO with an outstanding game at Dallas. For his first season as the starter, it's f**king great even if he wasn't able to win the game for his team at the end against the Niners.
So why, Purdy all of sudden, coming back from his UCL injury, in only his second season is the one QB in the POs that can't have a bad game?
Why the ultimate underdog is the one that has to prove his doubters wrong every freaking game? For me it's insane. Like he can't improve? At 24 years old in only his second season?
And having people say that Baker Mayfield, the one on his fourth team, is better than him, I mean, ok. Sure Baker has a better arm but mobility, athletiscm, poise, accuracy, anticipation give me Purdy please. And Baker had a really good season with the Bucs don't get me wrong. He's a good QB.

Love is extremely overrated. Packer fans will hate him soon.

He makes stupid throws relying on his arm. He threw two very bad interceptions. One led to 3 points and the other cost them a chance at the game. But all I hear is that he played tremendous and Pack are in good hands. He tore up the Cowgirls but its not hard to play when the defense sucks that bad and Dak spots your team 14 points in the first half.

From 3:00 remaining in the 3rd to the end of the game, Love went 5 of 12 for 19 yards and 2 INTs.

Could you imagine if Purdy finished the game like that? The entire mainstream sports media would be insisting we need a new quarterback.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Yeah it's annoying that Purdy seemingly can't have a bad game because if that's the case surely he's not the guy.
I'm impressed by Jordan Love and him and Lafleur will be dangerous for the next few years but he wasn't good at the end of the game.
Are we gonna say that Jordan Love is not the guy because he had a bad last drive with a horrible interception? No. I think the logical thing to say is that Love improved all season, had a great second half of the season and was impressive in the PO with an outstanding game at Dallas. For his first season as the starter, it's f**king great even if he wasn't able to win the game for his team at the end against the Niners.
So why, Purdy all of sudden, coming back from his UCL injury, in only his second season is the one QB in the POs that can't have a bad game?
Why the ultimate underdog is the one that has to prove his doubters wrong every freaking game? For me it's insane. Like he can't improve? At 24 years old in only his second season?
And having people say that Baker Mayfield, the one on his fourth team, is better than him, I mean, ok. Sure Baker has a better arm but mobility, athletiscm, poise, accuracy, anticipation give me Purdy please. And Baker had a really good season with the Bucs don't get me wrong. He's a good QB.

Love is extremely overrated. Packer fans will hate him soon.

He makes stupid throws relying on his arm. He threw two very bad interceptions. One led to 3 points and the other cost them a chance at the game. But all I hear is that he played tremendous and Pack are in good hands. He tore up the Cowgirls but its not hard to play when the defense sucks that bad and Dak spots your team 14 points in the first half.

From 3:00 remaining in the 3rd to the end of the game, Love went 5 of 12 for 19 yards and 2 INTs.

Could you imagine if Purdy finished the game like that? The entire mainstream sports media would be insisting we need a new quarterback.

We won and they're saying we should look into Justin fields
He's getting Jimmy G'd. That's one of the big arguments I see on the internet and the Hot Takes shows. Jimmy G made the Super Bowl in 2019. Blah, blah, bhah.....
If you can't see that Brock_STAR has better processing and a better, much more accurate arm you need your glasses checked. He also can throw downfield which Jimmy G can't. He also has short area quickness and can buy time to make off schedule plays. Just a so much better player. It's not even close.

2019 was defense, special teams and running game. Mostly keep the ball away from Jimmy G in key moments. Even Buckner made this team different. A powerful inside presence was a different team. This team is more offense. With some defense holes. Also a special teams capable of a miss on the game winning FG where 2019 probably wouldn't do that. The average NFL career is 3 years. There is a lot of turnover. A completely different roster. Some new draft picks, free agent departures, retired guys. The average fan thinks it's the same roster but it's not remotely the same team.

It's Jimmy G can make the Super Bowl and anybody can make the Super Bowl with "this team" (it's not the same team but they think it is). That and a lot of people didn't watch all 17 games and the larger body of work. Everyone is off on Christmas and watched the disaster Ravens game. A lot tipped balls and jumping into throwing lanes. But still it happened. So they think that he is not very good. Even bad. It's not true and not fair. Also not the whole body of work.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 25, 2024 at 3:15 PM ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's getting Jimmy G'd. That's one of the big arguments I see on the internet and the Hot Takes shows. Jimmy G made the Super Bowl in 2019. Blah, blah, bhah.....
If you can't see that Brock_STAR has better processing and a better, much more accurate arm you need your glasses checked. He also can throw downfield which Jimmy G can't. He also has short area quickness and can buy time to make off schedule plays. Just a so much better player. It's not even close.

2019 was defense, special teams and running game. Mostly keep the ball away from Jimmy G in key moments. Even Buckner made this team different. A powerful inside presence was a different team. This team is more offense. With some defense holes. Also a special teams capable of a miss on the game winning FG where 2019 probably wouldn't do that. The average NFL career is 3 years. There is a lot of turnover. A completely different roster. Some new draft picks, free agent departures, retired guys. The average fan thinks it's the same roster but it's not remotely the same team.

It's Jimmy G can make the Super Bowl and anybody can make the Super Bowl with "this team" (it's not the same team but they think it is). That and a lot of people didn't watch all 17 games and the larger body of work. Everyone is off on Christmas and watched the disaster Ravens game. A lot tipped balls and jumping into throwing lanes. But still it happened. So they think that he is not very good. Even bad. It's not true and not fair. Also not the whole body of work.

This is pretty much it.

The two most recent games that everyone has seen have been this one and the Ravens one.

So they're projecting those out across the whole season. Doesn't work obviously.

I think it will take years of similar production to quiet the naysayers. It's very apparent it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.

I'd say not unless he put the team on his back to win the Super Bowl, but you really don't want us to be struggling to the point where he has to be a hero.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This is pretty much it.

The two most recent games that everyone has seen have been this one and the Ravens one.

So they're projecting those out across the whole season. Doesn't work obviously.

I think it will take years of similar production to quiet the naysayers. It's very apparent it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.

I'd say not unless he put the team on his back to win the Super Bowl, but you really don't want us to be struggling to the point where he has to be a hero.

Yeah those ones and the false Jimmy G argument. It's sad and wrong and not the whole body of work. But what can you do? If we win people will start to look at it differently. Some will come around. Not all but some will.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

#1 when facing pressure? Dude is #1 at just about everything.

Ironic that the same people will also not give Kyle Coach of the Year.

Purdy can't be MVP, his weapons and coach/system are too good.

Kyle can't be coach of the year, his QB and weapons are too good.

Aiyuk can't be all-pro, his QB and coach/system are too good.
Originally posted by ColorMeBaddFan:
Regarding the talking point that Purdy had trouble gripping the ball in the rain, I seem to recall wet conditions during at least one of his games in Seattle as well as the game in Philly. Likely, it wasn't as wet as this past game, but it seems like we've seen Purdy in wet games before (with Cleveland being another one). I seem to recall his hand hitting someone's helmet in the Washington game in the follow through on a pass -- but maybe I'm imagining things.

Is there something else going on with his hand?

he just clearly has trouble with his accuracy throwing a wet ball, he needs to figure it out going forward. maybe he did so on the last drive.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Purdy can't be MVP, his weapons and coach/system are too good.

Kyle can't be coach of the year, his QB and weapons are too good.

Aiyuk can't be all-pro, his QB and coach/system are too good.

Share 49ersWebzone