LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 217 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Goff looked like the game manager out there. When the run game stopped working, he was unable to carry the team on his back. He is a good qb, but he doesn't elevate the offense like Brock does. If he were our qb going into the superbowl I'd be 100x nervous as I am now.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Goff looked like the game manager out there. When the run game stopped working, he was unable to carry the team on his back. He is a good qb, but he doesn't elevate the offense like Brock does. If he were our qb going into the superbowl I'd be 100x nervous as I am now.

Hes Jimmy without as many bonehead mistakes.

The QB makes all the difference.
Originally posted by Chance:
I hear what you're saying. I was speaking more to the unprompted answer he gave at the podium last night. Hey, I love the guy and have no problem in him believing whatever he wants as long as that belief does not hurt others. I also hold the belief that those kind of opinions, on the nature of the word, are not most appropriately stated as the first thing said when you're presented with the NFC championship trophy. It just is cringey to me as someone who has a differing opinion, and who would never find it appropriate to share that opinion in such a way. But I understand that religious people and atheists/agnostics don't see the world the same, fundamentally.
Translation: if you express your beliefs that I don't agree with, you are cringe.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

Anyone know what his wristband means? I assume something religious

Holy Spirit to Keep Calm

I'm thinking "His Servant to Kingdom Come"

On that general topic, in an article from Marcus Thompson in The Athletic this morning, Purdy said after the game: "When I'm down 17 at half," Purdy said, "honestly I'm thinking, 'Alright God. You've taken me here. Win or lose, I'm gonna glorify you.' That's my peace. That's the joy. That's the steadfastness. That's where I get it from. That's the honest truth."

It's pretty cringey when the first thing out of his mouth after a win is religious, but I understand that's how some people operate. I mean, if I believed there was a giant magical maestro in the sky, it would probably be the center of my world too. It's just a little ridiculous and I'm hoping it doesn't become a Teebow thing where every thought needs to be framed around one's faith. We get it, no one is not aware of Christ by brother in Christ.

The fact he, as a young, relatively inexperienced player, who is becoming renowned for his poise in high-pressure situations is being asked how he can do that and gives an honest answer should not be cringey. It should at the very least give a certain amount of pause because what he is doing is far beyond the norm. It works for him and he would be dishonest to his faith if he did otherwise.

I hear what you're saying. I was speaking more to the unprompted answer he gave at the podium last night. Hey, I love the guy and have no problem in him believing whatever he wants as long as that belief does not hurt others. I also hold the belief that those kind of opinions, on the nature of the word, are not most appropriately stated as the first thing said when you're presented with the NFC championship trophy. It just is cringey to me as someone who has a differing opinion, and who would never find it appropriate to share that opinion in such a way. But I understand that religious people and atheists/agnostics don't see the world the same, fundamentally.

Fair enough. You have a right to your view and your right to express it. Only allow those with other views to express theirs, including on national TV.

I have spent the morning looking at numerous statements from Purdy's teammates as they express their appreciation for both his talent and humility as well as his transparency. It is clear that they recognize his faith as being central to the person he is, and respect him. Some weeks ago, Kyle Shanahan said that Purdy's faith was as central to his foundation as any other person he knew. He is who he is.
Originally posted by rrallan1:
Translation: if you express your beliefs that I don't agree with, you are cringe.

Lol right. Who the F cares. But it's like that now a days....if you don't hold the same view point on ANYTHING is cringe/get canceled/etc.
[ Edited by JC_916 on Jan 29, 2024 at 1:10 PM ]

Both of those guys were eliminated by the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs who have an elite defense and Mahomes. Brock will get his chance to prove his superiority to them in the Super Bowl, but we had an easier path in the NFC.
Fair enough. You have a right to your view and your right to express it. Only allow those with other views to express theirs, including on national TV.

I have spent the morning looking at numerous statements from Purdy's teammates as they express their appreciation for both his talent and humility as well as his transparency. It is clear that they recognize his faith as being central to the person he is, and respect him. Some weeks ago, Kyle Shanahan said that Purdy's faith was as central to his foundation as any other person he knew. He is who he is.
I prefer to keep my faith private, but I respect people with an elevated platform who are not embarrassed to show their beliefs. What I heard from Purdy is what I've also heard from Mahomes, Steph Curry, Rodgers (when he was first in the league), Russell Wilson, etc etc. It's part of who they are and it's not like they're trying to force anyone to believe what they believe in. Huge respect to those dudes
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Both of those guys were eliminated by the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs who have an elite defense and Mahomes. Brock will get his chance to prove his superiority to them in the Super Bowl, but we had an easier path in the NFC.

You spend A LOT of time defending other teams' players lol.
Pure and simple. We lose to the Lions with Jimmy. This second year qb is the best thing to happen to us in a long time. He will get better. We are lucky to have him.

Originally posted by Furlow:

You spend A LOT of time defending other teams' players lol.

I'm not defending them. It just feels premature. If Brock and the 49ers beat the Chiefs then there will be plenty of time to rightfully dunk on those other QBs who fell short and mock the media who acted disgusted that Brock would be compared to them as an MVP candidate. No point in doing it now right before we play the game against the team that eliminated them.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Jan 29, 2024 at 1:26 PM ]
Purdy had such an electric second half. ESPN's QBR was 99 out of 100 for second half. If he beats Mahomes, the final boss, he'll be a legend.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm not defending them. It just feels premature. If Brock and the 49ers beat the Chiefs then there will be plenty of time to rightfully dunk on those other QBs who fell short and mock the media who acted disgusted that Brock would be compared to them as an MVP candidate. No point in doing it now right before we play the game against the team that eliminated them.

We can dunk away.

Purdy is the 3rd youngest QB to start a SB EVER!

He did it in his second year.

Those guys may NEVER go as far as Purdy. They'd trade their entire careers to go where Purdy has gone in 1.5 years of playing.
The stage is set. Purdy is headed to the Death Star in Vegas, and will confront Mahomes. Is this the return of the Jedi?
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Jan 29, 2024 at 2:45 PM ]
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

Anyone know what his wristband means? I assume something religious

Holy Spirit to Keep Calm

I'm thinking "His Servant to Kingdom Come"

On that general topic, in an article from Marcus Thompson in The Athletic this morning, Purdy said after the game: "When I'm down 17 at half," Purdy said, "honestly I'm thinking, 'Alright God. You've taken me here. Win or lose, I'm gonna glorify you.' That's my peace. That's the joy. That's the steadfastness. That's where I get it from. That's the honest truth."

It's pretty cringey when the first thing out of his mouth after a win is religious, but I understand that's how some people operate. I mean, if I believed there was a giant magical maestro in the sky, it would probably be the center of my world too. It's just a little ridiculous and I'm hoping it doesn't become a Teebow thing where every thought needs to be framed around one's faith. We get it, no one is not aware of Christ by brother in Christ.

I'm not a Christian and I have no problems with what Purdy said. It's a big part of who he is, he didn't try to convert anyone up there and he left it at that. He's not Tim Tebow going out and doing anti-abortion ads on national television. He's not saying anyone is wrong that doesn't agree with him. Many players cite faith when talking about the game.

Now does it suck that there are extremists that are trying to make him the next poster boy? Yeah. But they live in the bowls of the internet, just don't tread down there. It doesn't seem at all that Purdy is trying to make himself into their new leader, he is humble and works hard and I think (although I don't believe in his religion) that having his faith is a big part of why he is so humble and is why he cites it when people ask him about football- he is reminding himself of perspective. I don't have to agree with that to understand it. I don't do it but he is in no way knocking on my door handing out pamphlets.
Share 49ersWebzone