LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 114 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by tankle104:

I remember Tim Ryan reporting on the 2022 training camp about the QBs. He mentioned Jimmy, and Lance, and Sudfeld. Then he said the 49ers have this Brock Purdy kid that they drafted at the end of the draft. The kid is showing some pretty good stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat our Sudfeld for a roster spot (my recollection of Ryan's comments).

This sorta maybe explains all the designed runs for Trey?...

or am I?

I think it's insane to think that Kyle TRIED to get lance hurt. I think it speaks more to what most of us thought, which was that kyle didn't think/trust Lance to throw. so he tried to take advantage of his best physical assets.

Kyle didn't need to get lance hurt to do anything, but I do think he owed him the chance to play and see what he could do, but he ended up getting hurt pretty quickly.

Then I think he owed the team to start the guy he thought he was best to help their chances win a SB.

just cause he sees a lot of potential with Brock, didn't mean he was ready to play. Brock was a rookie and he hadn't done any of it in game action. it was all in training camp, doesn't mean it would translate, at least initially. I have no issue with kyle doing what he did and the order he did it in.
Purdy is doing all of this after not having the ability to train in the offseason due to his injury. Don't they often say the biggest jump in a player is from their rookie season to year 2? Excited to see how Purdy develops in year 3!
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
This is what Brock Purdy's final form looks like when he can consistently do this against NFL talent. In year two, he's beginning to look like Drew Jackson, Kyle's prototype QB.

Midas touch
Kyle needs to switch to more of the Shawn Peyton/Brees style O, but he won't. Peyton and Brock would be an amazing combination.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Purdy is doing all of this after not having the ability to train in the offseason due to his injury. Don't they often say the biggest jump in a player is from their rookie season to year 2? Excited to see how Purdy develops in year 3!

Still looking for that sophomore slump from 2nd year qb ....

I remember Tim Ryan reporting on the 2022 training camp about the QBs. He mentioned Jimmy, and Lance, and Sudfeld. Then he said the 49ers have this Brock Purdy kid that they drafted at the end of the draft. The kid is showing some pretty good stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat our Sudfeld for a roster spot (my recollection of Ryan's comments).

or am I?

I think it's insane to think that Kyle TRIED to get lance hurt. I think it speaks more to what most of us thought, which was that kyle didn't think/trust Lance to throw. so he tried to take advantage of his best physical assets.

Kyle didn't need to get lance hurt to do anything, but I do think he owed him the chance to play and see what he could do, but he ended up getting hurt pretty quickly.

Then I think he owed the team to start the guy he thought he was best to help their chances win a SB.

just cause he sees a lot of potential with Brock, didn't mean he was ready to play. Brock was a rookie and he hadn't done any of it in game action. it was all in training camp, doesn't mean it would translate, at least initially. I have no issue with kyle doing what he did and the order he did it in.

Kyle needs a second elite wr. It's obvious, if they rebuild/strengthen that line Brock could tear the league up even more. Especially if Kyle looses this SB. He's got the qb to change up
Has he been figured out yet?
Originally posted by socal1632:
Kyle needs to switch to more of the Shawn Peyton/Brees style O, but he won't. Peyton and Brock would be an amazing combination.

Kyle has been employing the shotgun at a higher rate than at any other point in his career because of Brock's preference for it. This notion that Kyle is unwilling to change is ludicrous, this is a guy who designed an offense out of whole cloth for RG3. a QB that neither he nor his dad ever really wanted but still made it work. Kyle's primarily someone that wants his offense to work, whether its employing outside zone, inside zone, power rushing, deep passing...etc. Whatever gets it done, its a great quality to have and also why he'll likely age very well in terms of his performance as an NFL coach.

or am I?

Kyle needs a second elite wr. It's obvious, if they rebuild/strengthen that line Brock could tear the league up even more. Especially if Kyle looses this SB. He's got the qb to change up

I like our offensive weapons, I think we need to get a much better pass blocking O line. If we can get that, then brock will be out of control!
I've been expecting an O lineman in this first round of the draft but this defense makes me think they'll go defense again. lol
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Yep wise decision.

Lol remember when ppl were crying and doubting during that 3 game skid? Who was on here saying they loved BP over and over during THAT time? Ahem...me lol While ppl ghosted/doubted/freaked out..I was proclaiming my undying love haha

Hey, gotta toot my own horn sometimes lol

That 3 game losing streak didn't bother me either. I could still see Brock playing at a high level. What really concerns me was the Ravens lost. Those turnovers would kill any confidence of a young qb. Glad he overcame it. But it's the first time I get a sense Brock is fallible. He had been playing so good for so many games, my expectation was becoming unreasonable lol 😆

Has he fully overcome it? He hasn't played as well since then and he's admitted that he's been tentative at times, especially early in games. Greg Cosell pointed out that lately he's been missing some reads that he was making routinely before that game. Something about that game has had some lingering impact on the team.

We like to say we broke a lot of teams eg Eagles, Jags. Although Baltimore didn't break us, they sure as hell put a dent in our armor. This team hasn't been the same since that game. Offense looks a bit off at times. The win against Detroit wasn't because of our typical offense. It was literally Brock Purdy taking matters into his own hands and coming up with plays off script. That includes 3 monstrous runs, a tip toe sideline pass, and the Fluke to Aiyuk.

IMO, the only Niners drive we've seen all postseason that looked like what we're used to seeing was that final drive against GB. That's the only drive I've seen where everything seemed smooth, on point. Every other drive this postseason has been some type of grind.

It's a process. I think he's learning from the mistakes since the Ravens game. Take a step back from being gunslinger. Be more careful with some of the decisions. And slowly creep back into gunslinger mode eventually. You just don't learn from mistakes, and then go right back to doing or having the same mindset before those mistakes the very next game <insert slight on Josh Allen>. The last 2 games were playoff games, you want your 2nd year qb to be more careful with the decisions until more risky decisions are needed.

Take that INT in the Lions game for example. His hand was hit as he threw because he forced that throw a bit late cosindering the defender bearing down on him. The next time if he sees Jennings open but if there's too much going on surrounding a tighten pocket, the best decision would be to run with the ball. People watch be like, Jennings was open, why did he run...lol
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 2, 2024 at 7:23 AM ]
Mod edit-If there's profanity in the tweet and it includes a word that is otherwise censored on the forum, don't post it. Its gotten out of hand lately.

or am I?

Yeah knowing what we know now I speculate Kyle's plan for Brock was to go into the following offseason with the QB position being an open competition with Jimmy out the door either way, and Brock would have won it over Lance with ease. Of course us fans would have been dumbfounded and pissed, but in this alternative universe we would have seen eventually the Brock is the guy.

this clip was a Netflix clip, seems to be chatter that he will be on QB season 2 on Netflix. That would be awesome.

Bosa seems like that dude that has the potential to go full psycho at any minute 😂
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
"'I think our third-string quarterback is our best quarterback,'" York shared about what he heard from Shanahan ahead of the 2022 season, per David Bonilla of 49ers WebZone. "I'm like, 'Okay, what does that mean?' He's like, 'Well, obviously, we've invested in Trey. Trey is doing a good job. We're going to do everything that we can. We're not going to change that, and we're not going to change the depth chart, but I think Brock will end up being our quarterback at some point.'"

Purdy entered the NFL as the final pick of the 2022 draft and began his rookie season as San Francisco's third-choice option. He unexpectedly rose to the top of the depth chart in early December 2022 when both Lance and Garoppolo were sidelined with season-ending injuries, and it took Purdy fewer than three full games to cause Shanahan to re-think the club's long-term plans.

The conspiracy in me thinks maybe Kyle purposefully ran Trey on those designed runs up the gut to try to get him injured. 🤔

JK, but makes for some discussion. 🤪
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
This is what Brock Purdy's final form looks like when he can consistently do this against NFL talent. In year two, he's beginning to look like Drew Jackson, Kyle's prototype QB.

Midas touch

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/196292-two-wordshellipsean-payton/

Originally posted by Patton:
Bosa seems like that dude that has the potential to go full psycho at any minute 😂

What you say about my momma?!
Share 49ersWebzone