LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 151 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

But isn't that what keeps Purdy from being "elite"? Purdy had the highest rating of any SF QB ever and on First Take, Chris Canty said it was because of Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk. Someone should tell that idiot that Montana and Young only had the greatest WR EVER to throw the ball to.

It's the WRONG comment and they will run with it. Montana was surrounded by the best talent in the entire league. So did Aikman have enormous talent, Kurt Warner, Mahomes, Rodgers on his Super Bowl year. They all had tons and tons of talent. But it's only used against Brock.

Bunch of jealous has beens.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

But isn't that what keeps Purdy from being "elite"? Purdy had the highest rating of any SF QB ever and on First Take, Chris Canty said it was because of Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk. Someone should tell that idiot that Montana and Young only had the greatest WR EVER to throw the ball to.

It's the WRONG comment and they will run with it. Montana was surrounded by the best talent in the entire league. So did Aikman have enormous talent, Kurt Warner, Mahomes, Rodgers on his Super Bowl year. They all had tons and tons of talent. But it's only used against Brock.

Bunch of jealous has beens.

I think that's what a lot of it is. Very jealous and they wish it was them. So ridiculous.
I've been impressed with the super bowl media so far. Usually this week is ultra boring but there has been some good interviews and tidbits
Originally posted by Heroism:
Anyone else notice Purdy's footwork has been s**tty at times ever since the Baltimore game? Dude is at times clicking heels, gaining no depth on some drops and even losing his typically-awesome throwing base. Brady always talked about how mechanics aren't some static thing and are constant, career-long work in progress. I don't watch JT O'Sullivan, and I wonder if this is something he's pointed out.

I already know Purdy will get everything back on track in the offseason.

It's been Shakey to start pretty much every game. The ravens reset it back from just the first drive to the first 2-4 drives for him to get comfortable.

The Washington game he was working through it to start as well.

The gb and lions games it's been tough to tell because middle push has been in his face so much to start games.

I expect depending on the rush anywhere from 1-2 drives to start the SB to be Shakey also. We need some easy passes for him to get on a roll.
this is the playoffs - you can't expect to blow everyone out, especially when you're the big dog and everyone is gunning for you. The offense has been the least of our problems.

hell our offense is the only reason we are here. They have a lot to improve upon but they aren't the issue. It's been our trash ass defense and poor special teams.
  • Cosmo

Just watched the show. Anyone else hear the story Pat told about Joe's grandchild kidnapping attempt? Is it a true story? Please let it be true, because that is the most Joe Montana thing EVER.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by tankle104:

It's weird that this is considered a compliment.

this is the playoffs - you can't expect to blow everyone out, especially when you're the big dog and everyone is gunning for you. The offense has been the least of our problems.

hell our offense is the only reason we are here. They have a lot to improve upon but they aren't the issue. It's been our trash ass defense and poor special teams.

I can't get onboard with calling out our D and those players. We held GB to 6 in the first half. We nearly shutout DET in the 2nd half. Brock has had ups and downs, just like our whole squad this postseason. Probably the one guy locked and dialed at all times, is maybe CMC on O and Nick on D. O ain't the only reason we are here, I saw 3 4th down stops in postseason, huge fumble forced, 2 INTs off Love, couple sackaroonis, Montgomery stuffed at the goal line, without most all those plays we are watching the SB. Margin was tight we needed all those plays. So I view our whole squad as stepping up in winning time late, Brock and the D included. Takes a team.

No doubt he has clutch tendencies his first start was vs TB12, and he looked like a 10 year vet ballin. Lil bit of a never say die attitude to this postseason run.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I can't get onboard with calling out our D and those players. We held GB to 6 in the first half. We nearly shutout DET in the 2nd half. Brock has had ups and downs, just like our whole squad this postseason. Probably the one guy locked and dialed at all times, is maybe CMC on O and Nick on D. O ain't the only reason we are here, I saw 3 4th down stops in postseason, huge fumble forced, 2 INTs off Love, couple sackaroonis, Montgomery stuffed at the goal line, without most all those plays we are watching the SB. Margin was tight we needed all those plays. So I view our whole squad as stepping up in winning time late, Brock and the D included. Takes a team.

The only thing the D did well in the first half of the Green Bay game was their red zone play and a fourth down play. Other than that, they couldn't get off the field. We were dominated in every stat, especially TOP, they just didn't up touchdowns. Offense only had three (I believe) possessions in the first half because the defense was crap and couldn't get a stop.

second half they gave up quite a few points but I think they played better against GB than Detroit. Against Detroit, it was literally the worst statistical performance in a half fir a Kyle shanahan team (7 years). We got abused in every single way, it was embarrassing.

Second half, we got a nice forced fumble (credit to 31). Outside of that, they actually got beat up and down the field all game - just got lucky on 2/3 of the fourth downs because the lions DROPPED it. Not because they stopped them. The last one was a great play design and execution to make it fall incomplete.

the defense has had some big plays that contributed to winning but as a whole, they've got beat like they stole something all game.

The only thing the D did well in the first half of the Green Bay game was their red zone play and a fourth down play. Other than that, they couldn't get off the field. We were dominated in every stat, especially TOP, they just didn't up touchdowns. Offense only had three (I believe) possessions in the first half because the defense was crap and couldn't get a stop.

second half they gave up quite a few points but I think they played better against GB than Detroit. Against Detroit, it was literally the worst statistical performance in a half fir a Kyle shanahan team (7 years). We got abused in every single way, it was embarrassing.

Second half, we got a nice forced fumble (credit to 31). Outside of that, they actually got beat up and down the field all game - just got lucky on 2/3 of the fourth downs because the lions DROPPED it. Not because they stopped them. The last one was a great play design and execution to make it fall incomplete.

the defense has had some big plays that contributed to winning but as a whole, they've got beat like they stole something all game.

It was an odd read on your post, cuz you started out saying that it's playoffs and teams are dangerous and ended with calling our D trash. I agree more with the first part of your post. Playoffs are tough man, hard to shutout a top 3-5 O. Now we did shut em out for 29 mins in the 2nd half. I'll focus on the good, that's more my way of thinking. We did enough good, to survive and advance. Even BP had missteps, like high fiving a defender that went for an INT, or I recall a wide open JJ perhaps for a TD and the pass sailed. It's not about being 'perfect' it's about coming up with enough good moments to win.
I wonder if one of the guys that was ticked off was Adam Peters. Why else would anyone be pissed over the last f**king pick in the draft?

[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 2, 2024 at 2:25 PM ]
It was an odd read on your post, cuz you started out saying that it's playoffs and teams are dangerous and ended with calling our D trash. I agree more with the first part of your post. Playoffs are tough man, hard to shutout a top 3-5 O. Now we did shut em out for 29 mins in the 2nd half. I'll focus on the good, that's more my way of thinking. We did enough good, to survive and advance. Even BP had missteps, like high fiving a defender that went for an INT, or I recall a wide open JJ perhaps for a TD and the pass sailed. It's not about being 'perfect' it's about coming up with enough good moments to win.

If the front office, ownership, coaches, players, and stats all say that the defense isn't playing well - then they probably aren't playing well. Lol you can be as optimistic as you want, doesn't change the fact they've been handled for most of the playoffs. It isn't about shutting a team out, it's about being competitive.

the defense has made some good plays but overall, they've def played worse than usual. I think they'll actually have a much better game in the Super Bowl. I think it has more to do with them being focused, effort, and executing than it does with if they actually suck. They've played far worse than they are capable of, that's why it's so disappointing.

once again, when everyone… literally everyone.. is saying they haven't played well and you're saying they have been - then you're most likely incorrect.

You're right it's not about being perfect, or shutting a playoff opponent out. That would be an A+ performance. Nobody is expecting that. What we'd like is something better than a D or F level performance in a full half, followed up by B- or C performances after they've adjusted at halftime.

Offense hasn't been on it's A game either, but they haven't fallen through the floor like the defense has for stretches of these games. And they can be graded on their own. It's not a good practice to excuse substandard levels of play from players or units because something else is also struggling.
Share 49ersWebzone