LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 140 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by tankle104:

Absolute GOLD! Who are they?
So what's the verdict on this kid? Is he any good or what?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Patton:

He is feeling kinda cute...might delete later IDK.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are evaluating on combine stats plus draft status. Height, weight, speed, stature. Where were you drafted? All that stuff.

But that's not how the game is played. Purdy is a great player and has a huge impact on the game. They don't see it because they are looking at all that other noise. Montana while a good athlete wasn't a great athlete. With his skinny little bird legs. He could run but certainly not like Lamar does. I don't think Montana would win a combine test. He was a decent athlete. Purdy is not far off athletically. Young could show great at a combine. He would run fast. But he wouldn't throw 70 yards like Allen or Herbert. He had a good arm. But not a cannon. So many more important things at QB.

People like SCAM Newton have a huge bias towards their own style of play. You have to be 6'6" 250 lbs. and slam straight into the pile and run guys over. That's a "difference maker" QB. Ironically SCAM struggles at all the more important things. Processing, reads, timing, quick decisions, mechanics, throwing accurately. Purdy is awesome at those. SCAM is terrible which is why he's no longer in the league.

Kyle is really amazing if he's the one that really banged the table to draft Purdy. Before, the story was Lynch, Grisie, Slowik that banged the table for Purdy. I don't know who to really belive with that Jed York story - but it bodes well that our coach (contrary to popular opinion) can actually tell a good QB from bad QB.

Slowik & Griese found him and banged the table for him first. Kyle, after watching film, came to the same conclusion as they did and Kyle vetoed for the QB over other positions despite them already having 3 QB's in the building. Kyle has veto power. Clearly.

I find all these stories kinda lame.

All I know is - if you believed in someone that much as these articles will have you believe - you don't take them with the last pick of the draft.

Love Kyle and Love Brock but I call bs.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Patton:

He is feeling kinda cute...might delete later IDK.

Lol, do not delete
Originally posted by Cosmo:

They're all ex players and one is a current coach.
king Dunlap was an o lineman
Collins was a corner
One is an assistant coach with the Seahawks I think
Originally posted by 4ML:

All I know is - if you believed in someone that much as these articles will have you believe - you don't take them with the last pick of the draft.

The idea was to always take a QB late or UDFA. That's why Griese and kubiak were scouting for QBs. They had no intention of taking one high.

other part is that just cause you really like a player on tape, doesn't mean you know that they'll be a star - i bet 99.9% of players drafted arent thought of going to be a star. Lynch actually said we had a fourth/fifth round grade on Brock but the position wasn't a priority.

same with Brady, pats had a higher round grade on him but they didn't need a QB - just gave, it was about to, a record contract to Bledsoe. They took him after passing him over cause it wasn't a priority and then he was the highest traded guy on the board left and took him because they couldn't ignore it anymore.

You can like/love players but you'd be a fool to sit there and say a guy is going to be a star, especially when you know for sure you can get them later.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
You realize how bad our oline is right?

I think this is where the game turns. The Superbowl will be won or lost depending on how well the 49er offensive line run blocks and pass protects.

It would be so 49ers that finally Purdy, Trent and Kyle couldn't hide the O-Line anymore in the Superbowl.
That's why all this talk about Purdy is incredibly stupid. Dude is playing behind an average at best O-Line at a Pro Bowl level and it's just because of Kyle, Trent and the playmakers. Seriously, if Goff was the QB for the Niners, he would have been killed behind that O-Line.
The O-Line is weaker than 4 years ago and Chris Jones is as good if not better.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Feb 3, 2024 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

this is about exactly how I feel. He's a glorified running back. He had 1-2 good years in a decade (which Brady deserved that MVP all day). Never liked him. Exceptional athlete and good football player but shouldn't be talking like he was THAT guy. Lol if anytbing he is a disappointment for a #1 pick.

Every former QB has been complimentary of Brock's play this season except for Cam. Cam just making clown takes.

Yeah SCAM Newton was not that great. Purdy already beat his playoff record in 2 years. He played for like a decade about. LOL. A hugely overrated passer. He was a big, giant, powerful, over glorified RB. Just like Sapp said and he's right about the stop hating and being so angry stuff. He feels like he can still play. He can't. But he believes it. He also vastly overrates himself as a player. He was a disappointment for #1 pick. Not that good. Passing and processing was sub par. He was just a big bulldozer RB.

Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are evaluating on combine stats plus draft status. Height, weight, speed, stature. Where were you drafted? All that stuff.

But that's not how the game is played. Purdy is a great player and has a huge impact on the game. They don't see it because they are looking at all that other noise. Montana while a good athlete wasn't a great athlete. With his skinny little bird legs. He could run but certainly not like Lamar does. I don't think Montana would win a combine test. He was a decent athlete. Purdy is not far off athletically. Young could show great at a combine. He would run fast. But he wouldn't throw 70 yards like Allen or Herbert. He had a good arm. But not a cannon. So many more important things at QB.

People like SCAM Newton have a huge bias towards their own style of play. You have to be 6'6" 250 lbs. and slam straight into the pile and run guys over. That's a "difference maker" QB. Ironically SCAM struggles at all the more important things. Processing, reads, timing, quick decisions, mechanics, throwing accurately. Purdy is awesome at those. SCAM is terrible which is why he's no longer in the league.

Kyle is really amazing if he's the one that really banged the table to draft Purdy. Before, the story was Lynch, Grisie, Slowik that banged the table for Purdy. I don't know who to really belive with that Jed York story - but it bodes well that our coach (contrary to popular opinion) can actually tell a good QB from bad QB.

Slowik & Griese found him and banged the table for him first. Kyle, after watching film, came to the same conclusion as they did and Kyle vetoed for the QB over other positions despite them already having 3 QB's in the building. Kyle has veto power. Clearly.

Could you imagine the hysteria if they drafted Brock Purdy in the 3rd round hahaha

like think about that for a second
Has anyone seen the podcast Damon Bruce just put out with Nick Wright as the guest? at first, I thought it was a joke, and started watching part of it. Boy let me tell you that guy either never breaks from whatever his shtick is or he honestly believes all the absolute b******t coming out of his mouth. I thought maybe we'd hear what he really thinks about Brock and all the stupid polarizing narratives since he was just appearing on some non-produced, or at least minimally produced podcast vs a slick produced TV show. Nope, that's really what the guy actually thinks he's convinced Brock is no better than the 15th or 16th QB in the league. That he has absolutely no business being an MVP finalist and whatever else. He didn't double down, he tripled down on his total horses**t narrative. That guy cannot stop hating on Purdy.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Has anyone seen the podcast Damon Bruce just put out with Nick Wright as the guest? at first, I thought it was a joke, and started watching part of it. Boy let me tell you that guy either never breaks from whatever his shtick is or he honestly believes all the absolute b******t coming out of his mouth. I thought maybe we'd hear what he really thinks about Brock and all the stupid polarizing narratives since he was just appearing on some non-produced, or at least minimally produced podcast vs a slick produced TV show. Nope, that's really what the guy actually thinks he's convinced Brock is no better than the 15th or 16th QB in the league. That he has absolutely no business being an MVP finalist and whatever else. He didn't double down, he tripled down on his total horses**t narrative. That guy cannot stop hating on Purdy.

He gets clicks for it and he knows it.

He is on the same level as 20 year old influencer making outlandish statements for clicks.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by Cosmo:

They're all ex players and one is a current coach.
king Dunlap was an o lineman
Collins was a corner
One is an assistant coach with the Seahawks I think

Who's the long haired dude that looks like he just crawled out of a bong?
Kinda glad I don't follow / listen to much of the commentary out there. Lol.
Share 49ersWebzone