Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Wouldn't it be a Us'ie ?

You beat me to it.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Wouldn't it be a Us'ie ?

You beat me to it.

Ain't none of you calling it that

"The thing that always struck me about Drew was his focus," said Lynch, a former NFL safety and San Diego area native who got to know Brees there. "I probably saw it more when I broadcast his games. During the timeout, Drew would stand there alone. He wouldn't go into the huddle, he wouldn't go over to the coaches. He was just collecting his thoughts. He was intensely focused. And I think Brock's very similar in his focus and his attention to detail."

In Brees, Purdy saw a kindred quarterback.

"I don't think either of us are guys who have a Josh Allen-, Dan Marino-type of arm," Purdy said. "But we definitely have a good enough arm to play in this league and make the intermediate and even deep throws every once in a while."

He said he paid special attention to Brees' feet. Brees was a full head shorter than everyone around him but never seemed lost in the pocket. He had a knack for finding just enough space to throw. His feet were always in sync, which meant his passes came out quickly and accurately. He generated power by keeping his cleats planted on the ground when he threw. In short, he was someone who was always in control.

"If you're a guy who's on top of your footwork, I don't know why, but I feel like that separates you," Purdy said. "You know the plays, you know the concepts. Your feet are tied to the plays you're running. So there's never a play where he was doing something chaotic. He was always on top of his stuff. You can tell he was a very disciplined guy, he knew what he stood for and believed. And I respected that a lot in him."

"We talked about my footwork, and he said, 'If you'll just follow the directions and the footwork that goes with each pass pattern, I can tell you the timing of when to deliver the football and to who on you're feet,' and I'm like, 'What?" -Steve Young

"Still hear it in my sleep. Turn on the film and he'll go, 'Hey, footwork. This is a five-step drop, you took like three big and a hop. That's why you feel like you're waiting, it's not ready yet."- Joe Montana

Brees said there was a saying he used with the Saints: Let your feet talk to you.

"Your feet are your clock," he said. "A lot of times, I can just look at a guy's feet and tell you if he's in rhythm, what progression he's on, if he's throwing the ball to the right guy. It tells you everything."

"Brock? Oh, he has great feet," he said. "He has great balance. I think a lot of it is the footwork in that offense, these play-action passes that are all married up to the run game. Because it's such a great zone run game."

Purdy had torn the UCL in his throwing elbow in Philadelphia just a week and a half earlier and was waiting for the swelling to subside so he could have the surgery to repair the ligament. Brees told him not to dwell on the six-month recovery projection but to instead look at it as a series of shorter challenges.

"You just try to beat whatever the prognosis is that's right in front of you regarding the range of motion or strength or the ability to throw or whatever it might be," Brees said he told Purdy. "And before you know it, you're throwing the ball again and you've come back stronger than you were before."

Brees rebounded from his shoulder injury to lead the Saints to the conference championship in 2006. Purdy beat his initial prognosis by a month and a half, didn't miss a game due to injury in 2023 and helped his team to the Super Bowl.

"I couldn't be more impressed with the young man," Brees said.

https://theathletic.com/5250414/2024/02/06/brock-purdy-drew-brees-49ers-super-bowl/
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

"The thing that always struck me about Drew was his focus," said Lynch, a former NFL safety and San Diego area native who got to know Brees there. "I probably saw it more when I broadcast his games. During the timeout, Drew would stand there alone. He wouldn't go into the huddle, he wouldn't go over to the coaches. He was just collecting his thoughts. He was intensely focused. And I think Brock's very similar in his focus and his attention to detail."

"I don't think either of us are guys who have a Josh Allen-, Dan Marino-type of arm," Purdy said. "But we definitely have a good enough arm to play in this league and make the intermediate and even deep throws every once in a while."

He said he paid special attention to Brees' feet. Brees was a full head shorter than everyone around him but never seemed lost in the pocket. He had a knack for finding just enough space to throw. His feet were always in sync, which meant his passes came out quickly and accurately. He generated power by keeping his cleats planted on the ground when he threw. In short, he was someone who was always in control.

"If you're a guy who's on top of your footwork, I don't know why, but I feel like that separates you," Purdy said. "You know the plays, you know the concepts. Your feet are tied to the plays you're running. So there's never a play where he was doing something chaotic. He was always on top of his stuff. You can tell he was a very disciplined guy, he knew what he stood for and believed. And I respected that a lot in him."

"We talked about my footwork, and he said, 'If you'll just follow the directions and the footwork that goes with each pass pattern, I can tell you the timing of when to deliver the football and to who on you're feet,' and I'm like, 'What?" -Steve Young

"Still hear it in my sleep. Turn on the film and he'll go, 'Hey, footwork. This is a five-step drop, you took like three big and a hop. That's why you feel like you're waiting, it's not ready yet."- Joe Montana

Brees said there was a saying he used with the Saints: Let your feet talk to you.

"Your feet are your clock," he said. "A lot of times, I can just look at a guy's feet and tell you if he's in rhythm, what progression he's on, if he's throwing the ball to the right guy. It tells you everything."

"Brock? Oh, he has great feet," he said. "He has great balance. I think a lot of it is the footwork in that offense, these play-action passes that are all married up to the run game. Because it's such a great zone run game."

Purdy had torn the UCL in his throwing elbow in Philadelphia just a week and a half earlier and was waiting for the swelling to subside so he could have the surgery to repair the ligament. Brees told him not to dwell on the six-month recovery projection but to instead look at it as a series of shorter challenges.

"You just try to beat whatever the prognosis is that's right in front of you regarding the range of motion or strength or the ability to throw or whatever it might be," Brees said he told Purdy. "And before you know it, you're throwing the ball again and you've come back stronger than you were before."

Brees rebounded from his shoulder injury to lead the Saints to the conference championship in 2006. Purdy beat his initial prognosis by a month and a half, didn't miss a game due to injury in 2023 and helped his team to the Super Bowl.

https://theathletic.com/5250414/2024/02/06/brock-purdy-drew-brees-49ers-super-bowl/

MVP.

Brock too.
I've been calling him Brock Brees I think for over a year now but didn't know Brees gave him words of encouragement, very cool
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You know, with as much talk as there is about Brock and whether he's this or that, it's nice to see an NFL great like Brees really stick his neck out there for Brock.
Not bad for a system QB.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Not bad for a system QB.

Huh..was this at Mandalay Bay? Kinda looks like it idk
  • bud49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by bud49 on Feb 6, 2024 at 2:25 PM ]
Brocky as a runner is some revelation now LOL
He ran for 1,000 yds as a senior in HS as one of the top 30 dropback QB prospects in the country, dude is a good athlete with the ball in open space.

Originally posted by Montana:
I've been calling him Brock Brees I think for over a year now but didn't know Brees gave him words of encouragement, very cool

I remember a few months ago that some people on this site were so outraged at comparing him to brees lmao
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Montana:

I remember a few months ago that some people on this site were so outraged at comparing him to brees lmao

Probably during the L streak. I remember reading that someone would take Caleb W over Brock
I don't know how much weight you guys want to put into Matthew Barry's opinion, but apparently he's saying the outcome of the game is more important to Brock's legacy than Mahomes. I get it Mahomes has won before, so maybe that's the reason for the statement, I don't know. I think the reason this is getting to me is that it's Brock's second year, this in my opinion far too early to be worried about something like legacy.

https://nbcsportsbayarea.app.link/KJrsgXGTYGb
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I don't know how much weight you guys want to put into Matthew Barry's opinion, but apparently he's saying the outcome of the game is more important to Brock's legacy than Mahomes. I get it Mahomes has won before, so maybe that's the reason for the statement, I don't know. I think the reason this is getting to me is that it's Brock's second year, this in my opinion far too early to be worried about something like legacy.

he probably thinks brock will never get back, even though he went to back to back nfc title games
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

he probably thinks brock will never get back, even though he went to back to back nfc title games

Winning 1 Super Bowl has a much bigger impact on how a QB is perceived vs. winning a 3rd when you've already won 2.

It's also just not always easy to get back. Drew Brees was still pretty early in his career when he won his first SB and then never made it back. Rodgers too. At the time they won their first, most would have guessed they would make it back eventually, but they never did. Gotta capitalize on these opportunities when they come.
Share 49ersWebzone