LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 247 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
I'd agree with this. But we didn't have Brock in that game. It's truly that game and not SB54 that proved that Jimmy needed to be replaced.

Jimmy needed to be replaced for sure, but we should have still won with him that season.
Got less than two complete seasons under his belt, got to the SB and didn't play bad considering he went up against Spags D. He'll only get better at reading defenses, even more accurate and more confident. Hopefully, he can develop a stronger arm as well. 49ers are good at QB unless he digresses.
Originally posted by bigpete50:
Anyone knocking Purdy should quit watching football and go watch cricket instead. Brock balled out hard this year. He's barely 24 years old. The kid is a stud. He was not the reason we lost today.
Purdy literally went toe to toe with Mahomes and basically out performed him for 4 quarters. But Mahomes did what he does best and was unstoppable with the ball in his hands at the very end. Our luck honestly just ran out (CMC fumble, punt ricocheting off Luter's ankle, Moody making crazy long field goals only to miss a PAT, Warner electing to receive in OT which I'm convinced he figured was probably regular season OT rules). If there is anything to be encouraged about after another disappointing loss, we have finally found our franchise QB who was in the discussion for MVP this season and likely will only get better with more experience.
Man, if only Purdy had a team and coaches around for him to not do s**t for the whole game and win a SB like Mahomes.
Felt Kyle could have helped young Brock more.

Hope the kid is not too hard on himself.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Purdy literally went toe to toe with Mahomes and basically out performed him for 4 quarters. But Mahomes did what he does best and was unstoppable with the ball in his hands at the very end. Our luck honestly just ran out (CMC fumble, punt ricocheting off Luter's ankle, Moody making crazy long field goals only to miss a PAT, Warner electing to receive in OT which I'm convinced he figured was probably regular season OT rules). If there is anything to be encouraged about after another disappointing loss, we have finally found our franchise QB who was in the discussion for MVP this season and likely will only get better with more experience.

Or he was told to do so because the 49ers defense just had been on the field and needed a break? So you let the Chiefs take the ball first, they go down the field and score anyways and their defense has been resting the whole time, what advantage have you gained really?
Originally posted by q0c0p:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Other then Maholmes, who is it? Allen hasn't really won anything either. I get that he doesn't have a very good team, but Brock just started 1 and a half season and game back from the horrible elbow injury.

He hasnt won but he has the ability to duel mahomes and has shown that. I'm not saying purdy cant win the chip. He came damn close. But if he has to duel a top guy he wont be able to. All the weapons on this team and tbqh the offense was putrid. But I dont put all the blame on brock on that, kyle was terrible. He chokes in big games, it is what it is. Like I said brock is good and we may have no choice to go elsewhere. But the only chance we have now to win a sb is if we arent playing patty. It would be a mistake to pay purdy 50 million or whatever the market is right now. It would be hard on the fanbase cuz everyone loves him but let him be someone else's cousins/dak/geno etc..

The question was who can duel Maholmes. Even prime Tom Brady might not be able to do that. You are acting like all we need to do is to find something that doesn't exist or may not exist in the next decade.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Kyle didn't put him in a position to succeed. Constantly put him in 2nd and 3rd and longs.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Kyle didn't put him in a position to succeed. Constantly put him in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Brock still led the team down to take the lead in his last 4th quarter drive and OT drive. Kid has nothing to feel bad about. He'll continue to work hard because that's who he is.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Brock still led the team down to take the lead in his last 4th quarter drive and OT drive. Kid has nothing to feel bad about. He'll continue to work hard because that's who he is.

I agree. Brock wasn't the reason we lost. He played as well as he could given the circumstances handed to him.

Originally posted by libertyforever:
The question was who can duel Maholmes. Even prime Tom Brady might not be able to do that. You are acting like all we need to do is to find something that doesn't exist or may not exist in the next decade.

The 49ers were one whiffed block from scoring a touchdown in OT. At which point even if Mahomes scores a TD the game is still tied and the 49ers have the ball and only need a FG to win. People are acting like there's some giant chasm when it took a lot of 49ers miscues for KC to win.

The way you're going to beat Mahomes is a strong run game, a disciplined defense and no major miscues on offense.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
Yup. Lost in all this post SB discussion is how 3 first round draft picks might have helped this team win. But if not for Brock, this team is nowhere close to a SB and is still looking for its QB1

We were unlucky last year, when our team was better overall (at least IMO).

We really blew it in '21 though. That Rams loss was the worst of the Kyle era IMO. To have a team you own ahead of you and then that Bengals team instead of the Mahomes Chiefs… rough.

Last year, I don't think Purdy was as good. I also don't think Kyle had a chance to fully utliized CMC especially in the passing game. The D was better, but I don't know it could have done better against the Chiefs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or he was told to do so because the 49ers defense just had been on the field and needed a break? So you let the Chiefs take the ball first, they go down the field and score anyways and their defense has been resting the whole time, what advantage have you gained really?

Yeah, that seemed a no-brainer. Give the D rest. Go get a tuddy. Game winner to JJ was there if Chris Jones doesn't get in Purdy's face so fast. Good player making a big play.
I thought Purdy played a great game. He got letdown by his teammates in this game. CMC with the fumble and then the very next drive Trent has back to back penalties. In the 2nd half his Oline just let players come in unblocked. He didn't have much of a running game to work with in this game. Deebo and Kittle were invisable, And yet he still went toe to toe with Mahomes despite everyone saying that the Chiefs had a much better defense than our's coming into this game. Though I am sure Nick Wright will try to spin this as him being right about Purdy. BTW Wright predicted the Chiefs would win in a blowout.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The 49ers were one whiffed block from scoring a touchdown in OT. At which point even if Mahomes scores a TD the game is still tied and the 49ers have the ball and only need a FG to win. People are acting like there's some giant chasm when it took a lot of 49ers miscues for KC to win.

The way you're going to beat Mahomes is a strong run game, a disciplined defense and no major miscues on offense.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone