LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 276 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chance:
Yeah, that seemed a no-brainer. Give the D rest. Go get a tuddy. Game winner to JJ was there if Chris Jones doesn't get in Purdy's face so fast. Good player making a big play.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Purdy literally went toe to toe with Mahomes and basically out performed him for 4 quarters. But Mahomes did what he does best and was unstoppable with the ball in his hands at the very end. Our luck honestly just ran out (CMC fumble, punt ricocheting off Luter's ankle, Moody making crazy long field goals only to miss a PAT, Warner electing to receive in OT which I'm convinced he figured was probably regular season OT rules). If there is anything to be encouraged about after another disappointing loss, we have finally found our franchise QB who was in the discussion for MVP this season and likely will only get better with more experience.

Or he was told to do so because the 49ers defense just had been on the field and needed a break? So you let the Chiefs take the ball first, they go down the field and score anyways and their defense has been resting the whole time, what advantage have you gained really?
The advantage is you know how much you need to score in order to at minimum tie or potentially go for the win, and you have 4 downs instead of 3 to accomplish it if you in fact need a td to tie.

And I get that the D could use rest but let's not pretend after the Chiefs kicked the field goal that they didn't get a little breather. They had a kick off, kneel down, coin toss, I believe there was at least one commercial break thrown in there and another kick off before they would have had to go back out on the field for defense. That's at least a 5 min break.
People are fixated on who got the ball when, say the Chiefs got it first, they go down the field, score on a tired 49ers defense, the 49ers get it and score too and now it's sudden death and you're giving the ball back to Mahomes and the Chiefs can now win with just a FG.

I think taking the ball first was the correct call, they just missed getting it into the end zone otherwise it's a tie game and the 49ers have the ball again where a FG wins it.
Yeah, that seemed a no-brainer. Give the D rest. Go get a tuddy. Game winner to JJ was there if Chris Jones doesn't get in Purdy's face so fast. Good player making a big play.

But if you stop them or hold them to 3.. you can win on your drive.

Like what the Chiefs ended up doing.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 11, 2024 at 11:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
The advantage is you know how much you need to score in order to at minimum tie or potentially go for the win, and you have 4 downs instead of 3 to accomplish it if you in fact need a td to tie.

And I get that the D could use rest but let's not pretend after the Chiefs kicked the field goal that they didn't get a little breather. They had a kick off, kneel down, coin toss, I believe there was at least one commercial break thrown in there and another kick off before they would have had to go back out on the field for defense. That's at least a 5 min break.

So they score, you score and now Mahomes has the ball back and can win it with a FG, what have you gained?

That was the right call, we needed a TD on that OT drive.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The 49ers were one whiffed block from scoring a touchdown in OT. At which point even if Mahomes scores a TD the game is still tied and the 49ers have the ball and only need a FG to win. People are acting like there's some giant chasm when it took a lot of 49ers miscues for KC to win.

The way you're going to beat Mahomes is a strong run game, a disciplined defense and no major miscues on offense.

This.

We just lost the SB. It doesn't matter how "close" we were. There's nothing to do at this point other than point to the miscues.
Originally posted by Predator85:

It's clownish imo. The mythical we get the ball 3rd never happened. So no benefit. We failed on 3rd down and kicked. They failed on 3rd down and get another down. Thanks to this decision. If we had 2nd possession, we get another down to try and score a TD, and maybe they would have punted, if they faced 4th down on the opening drive of OT
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Feb 11, 2024 at 11:38 PM ]
Tired of excuses. 2nd and 4 from the 9 and you've got 3 downs to get 4 yards. Run it 3 times. You have to score a TD there. No excuses. Shanahan choked again. He can't close games out. 3 Super Bowl leads in the 4th quarter and he's lost them all.
Originally posted by Predator85:

And what if the Chiefs went for 2PT conversion on their first TD? Isn't it over right?

Them banking on their offense to get a couple of yards for those 2PTs and ending the game.....compared to their tired defense keeping us from FG range on the next series.

On short yardage situations late in the game, Andy killed us. Be it with a blitz beater or option play for Mahomes...or that f**king Corn Dog play that won them the game.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 11, 2024 at 11:37 PM ]

Originally posted by Afrikan:
And what if the Chiefs went for 2PT conversion on their first TD? Isn't it over right?

Them banking on their offense to get a couple of yards for those 2PTs and ending the game.....compared to their tired defense keeping us from FG range on the next series.

On short yardage situations late in the game, Andy killed us. Be it with a blitz beater or option play for Mahomes...or that f**king Corn Dog play that won them the game.

No. Each team gets an opportunity to receive the ball unless there's a defensive touchdown.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Tired of excuses. 2nd and 4 from the 9 and you've got 3 downs to get 4 yards. Run it 3 times. You have to score a TD there. No excuses. Shanahan choked again. He can't close games out. 3 Super Bowl leads in the 4th quarter and he's lost them all.

I think the bigger play was the 3rd and 4 with 2 minutes to go in FG range and Chiefs only having 2 timeouts. Convert that and the game is over. Only way Mahomes gets the ball back is if Moody misses a chip shot with no time remaining.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

No. Each team gets an opportunity to receive the ball unless there's a defensive touchdown.

"Both teams will have an opportunity to possess the football. This is the big change. Previously, as we saw in the 2022 AFC Divisional Round game between Kansas City and Buffalo, if the team that started with the football scored a touchdown, the game was over. Under the new rules, in that scenario Buffalo would get a chance to match with a touchdown of their own, and if they did, the game would continue. Once both teams have a possession, the game then becomes sudden death. In addition, if the team that starts with possession scores and kicks the extra point to take a seven-point lead, the second team can win with a touchdown and a two-point conversion."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/23548052/nfl-playoff-overtime-rules-explained

Edit- I took this topic to the Kyle Shanahan thread.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 11, 2024 at 11:59 PM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

I think the bigger play was the 3rd and 4 with 2 minutes to go in FG range and Chiefs only having 2 timeouts. Convert that and the game is over. Only way Mahomes gets the ball back is if Moody misses a chip shot with no time remaining.

I almost view that as 2 down territory on the ground. If someone told me a KS O, with CMC, needed 4 yds in 2 plays to win the SB. I would take it so fast your head would spin. We passed into a Spags blitz that Romo knew was coming before it happened
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I almost view that as 2 down territory on the ground. If someone told me a KS O, with CMC, needed 4 yds in 2 plays to win the SB. I would take it so fast your head would spin. We passed into a Spags blitz that Romo knew was coming before it happened

Agreed again. Thought it was a good spot for a run and a 4th down play if you don't convert.
Share 49ersWebzone