LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 180 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Tired of excuses. 2nd and 4 from the 9 and you've got 3 downs to get 4 yards. Run it 3 times. You have to score a TD there. No excuses. Shanahan choked again. He can't close games out. 3 Super Bowl leads in the 4th quarter and he's lost them all.

I love how Dan Quinn gets zero blame for that Falcons super bowl.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

And their defense was absolute garbage.
Tired of excuses. 2nd and 4 from the 9 and you've got 3 downs to get 4 yards. Run it 3 times. You have to score a TD there. No excuses. Shanahan choked again. He can't close games out. 3 Super Bowl leads in the 4th quarter and he's lost them all.

ZERO.

It just goes to show how much everyone just believes Shanahan ran that team with Quinn as his puppet.

Yeah but Kyle never goes with the obvious play because he outsmarts himself. The Falcons should have ran but Kyle kept on passing after that Julio catch.
Originally posted by captveg:

ZERO.

It just goes to show how much everyone just believes Shanahan ran that team with Quinn as his puppet.

Indeed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Makes sense but I still think it's the wrong call. Take a look at what ended up happening. We forced KC into a 4th down on that series. If they opened with the ball they may of punted it there but because they had to a score a field goal they went for it, converted, then ended up scoring the game winning td. You're better off knowing what it's going to take to win then having that 3rd possession.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 12, 2024 at 2:03 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Makes sense but I still think it's the wrong call. Take a look at what ended up happening. We forced KC into a 4th down on that series. If they opened with the ball they may of punted it there but because they had to a score a field goal they went for it, converted, then ended up scoring the game winning td. You're better off knowing what it's going to take to win then having that 3rd possession.

I agree. And Kyle should have went for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG. Once they got inside the 10 Kyle should have treated it like 4 down territory. Worse case scenario the Chiefs have to start from inside their 5. And if you know you are going for it on 4th down Kyle has the option to run it on 3rd down.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I thought Purdy played a great game. He got letdown by his teammates in this game. CMC with the fumble and then the very next drive Trent has back to back penalties. In the 2nd half his Oline just let players come in unblocked. He didn't have much of a running game to work with in this game. Deebo and Kittle were invisable, And yet he still went toe to toe with Mahomes despite everyone saying that the Chiefs had a much better defense than our's coming into this game. Though I am sure Nick Wright will try to spin this as him being right about Purdy. BTW Wright predicted the Chiefs would win in a blowout.
sorry, too many excuses. Mahomes had to run for his life as well at times.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

let's put it differently: They were forced to go all in. We were not. now go ahead and play with that mindset...
Originally posted by communist:
I thought Purdy played a great game. He got letdown by his teammates in this game. CMC with the fumble and then the very next drive Trent has back to back penalties. In the 2nd half his Oline just let players come in unblocked. He didn't have much of a running game to work with in this game. Deebo and Kittle were invisable, And yet he still went toe to toe with Mahomes despite everyone saying that the Chiefs had a much better defense than our's coming into this game. Though I am sure Nick Wright will try to spin this as him being right about Purdy. BTW Wright predicted the Chiefs would win in a blowout.

He's Mahomes. If the requirement of Purdy or any 49er QB going forward is to be as good as Patrick Mahomes... Well, it's never going to happen. Best accept that now.

Yeah, and Mahomes may be the greatest QB ever… Purdy went toe to toe with him. Purdy, our 24 year old franchise QB, is the last person you should be worried about after this game. We are in great hands & he should only get better with more experience. Honestly him, CMC, Jennings & the offensive line (granted only for the 1st & 2nd quarters) were the only ones who showed up on offense. Deebo was hardly noticeable, Aiyuk had some nice catches but he shouldn't be outshined by Jennings in the biggest game of his career and Kittle I'm sure was blocking a ton but was completely invisible as a receiver. That's our big 3 outside of CMC & together they had less then 100 yards…

I agree. And Kyle should have went for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG. Once they got inside the 10 Kyle should have treated it like 4 down territory. Worse case scenario the Chiefs have to start from inside their 5. And if you know you are going for it on 4th down Kyle has the option to run it on 3rd down.

Going for it on 4th wouldn't have made much of a difference if Kyle calls another pass play that leaves Chris Jones unblocked like he did on 3rd down. The whole world knew an all out blitz was coming and Kyle calls a pass play with no hot option.
Originally posted by captveg:

He's Mahomes. If the requirement of Purdy or any 49er QB going forward is to be as good as Patrick Mahomes... Well, it's never going to happen. Best accept that now.

Don't have to be as good as Mahomes, but need maximum Brady like protection with offensive line. Purdy isn't good enough to only have average protection.
Good game Brock! I hope you get another chance at a Super Bowl. Preferably without Shanahan.
I hope this kid doesn't turn out to be the next manning/ Bree's/ Roger's
hopefully he'll pull through and win a Super Bowl.
overall nfl fell in love with the Mahomes being the next Brady narrative.
[ Edited by Rocket4989 on Feb 12, 2024 at 6:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone