LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 167 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Makes sense but I still think it's the wrong call. Take a look at what ended up happening. We forced KC into a 4th down on that series. If they opened with the ball they may of punted it there but because they had to a score a field goal they went for it, converted, then ended up scoring the game winning td. You're better off knowing what it's going to take to win then having that 3rd possession.
let's put it differently: They were forced to go all in. We were not. now go ahead and play with that mindset...

I get it but that's only if we score a td and didn't so..... oof. Maybe he should have run it 3rd and 4th down etc.
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Tired of excuses. 2nd and 4 from the 9 and you've got 3 downs to get 4 yards. Run it 3 times. You have to score a TD there. No excuses. Shanahan choked again. He can't close games out. 3 Super Bowl leads in the 4th quarter and he's lost them all.

I love how Dan Quinn gets zero blame for that Falcons super bowl.

Yeah but Kyle never goes with the obvious play because he outsmarts himself. The Falcons should have ran but Kyle kept on passing after that Julio catch.

And Quinn could've got on the headset or called a timeout, same as Kyle did if he disagrees with the call.
At least ONE more year under his rookie contract
Originally posted by Chance:
Yeah, that seemed a no-brainer. Give the D rest. Go get a tuddy. Game winner to JJ was there if Chris Jones doesn't get in Purdy's face so fast. Good player making a big play.

Had we scored a TD, and the Chiefs answer with a TD, it would make sense for the Chiefs to go for 2 and let Maholmes to seal the game.

I think had Kyle deferred and loss, people would question that decision even worse.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Yeah, that seemed a no-brainer. Give the D rest. Go get a tuddy. Game winner to JJ was there if Chris Jones doesn't get in Purdy's face so fast. Good player making a big play.

Had we scored a TD, and the Chiefs answer with a TD, it would make sense for the Chiefs to go for 2 and let Maholmes to seal the game.

I think had Kyle deferred and loss, people would question that decision even worse.

We werent going to stop Mahomes with Greenlaw out. KC's offense changed when Dre got injured.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Makes sense but I still think it's the wrong call. Take a look at what ended up happening. We forced KC into a 4th down on that series. If they opened with the ball they may of punted it there but because they had to a score a field goal they went for it, converted, then ended up scoring the game winning td. You're better off knowing what it's going to take to win then having that 3rd possession.
let's put it differently: They were forced to go all in. We were not. now go ahead and play with that mindset...

I get it but that's only if we score a td and didn't so..... oof. Maybe he should have run it 3rd and 4th down etc.

THIS. not only in OT, but the 3rd and 4 in the 4th as well. Rush CMC, see where you are after that. in the 4th, WORST CASE, you get zero and kick the same FG, but either take more time of the clock or force KC to burn a TO... both were mistakes not to run
Brock showed promise this year but his performance in the playoffs this season was average at best. His completion percentage was way down. His Rating was under 90 in all 3 games. His yards per completion were down.

I know defenses get better in the playoffs but he's going to need to overcome that if he wants to win. He started off yesterday 8-11 then completed only 55% the rest of the way. He had one stretch where he was 4-11. Part of that was the Chiefs playing great defense but that's what his going to face. We can only hope he will eventually improve in those big games.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Brock showed promise this year but his performance in the playoffs this season was average at best. His completion percentage was way down. His Rating was under 90 in all 3 games. His yards per completion were down.

I know defenses get better in the playoffs but he's going to need to overcome that if he wants to win. He started off yesterday 8-11 then completed only 55% the rest of the way. He had one stretch where he was 4-11. Part of that was the Chiefs playing great defense but that's what his going to face. We can only hope he will eventually improve in those big games.

He was timid by his own standards. I wonder why? That being said I thought he played very well last night but didn't have the pocket or time to make throws or accurate ones.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

We werent going to stop Mahomes with Greenlaw out. KC's offense changed when Dre got injured.

So, imo we should've went for it on 4th. If playing for the 3rd was our mindset than we needed a TD. You cannot have the ball to Mahomes to win it.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I just don't think hes a special quarterback.

Probably predicting a regression next year unfortunately.

Yeah they need a new offensive line on the right side, but I think Kyle and Lynch will draft an edge rusher in the 1st rd to replace Chase Young.

Drafting an edge rusher in the first would be in a word- stupid. That style isn't going to get it done.

Also, Brock is pretty lights out when protected. After the Chiefs got mauled by the Bucs, they built up that O-line. Brock did what he did with a bottom third O line in terms of pass pro. What would he do if our line was just average? Not great,not good,just average?

We've seen Tom Brady and Patrick Mahommes fold with the heat on them. Brock went to OT with an all time great QB. He's the least of my worries.

He didn't look the same, but also showed he can come back, face some adversity and win, and can generally play well with lots of pressure in his face. I'm not that concerned. We'll see how he grows with his first healthy off-season as the starter and a contract year.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I just don't think hes a special quarterback.

Probably predicting a regression next year unfortunately.

Yeah they need a new offensive line on the right side, but I think Kyle and Lynch will draft an edge rusher in the 1st rd to replace Chase Young.

Drafting an edge rusher in the first would be in a word- stupid. That style isn't going to get it done.

Also, Brock is pretty lights out when protected. After the Chiefs got mauled by the Bucs, they built up that O-line. Brock did what he did with a bottom third O line in terms of pass pro. What would he do if our line was just average? Not great,not good,just average?

We've seen Tom Brady and Patrick Mahommes fold with the heat on them. Brock went to OT with an all time great QB. He's the least of my worries.

If an edge rusher is the best prospect in the draft board when it is our pick, then we get an edge rusher. It is not stupid.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

He didn't look the same, but also showed he can come back, face some adversity and win, and can generally play well with lots of pressure in his face. I'm not that concerned. We'll see how he grows with his first healthy off-season as the starter and a contract year.

Playing well isn't always enough. Sometimes the QB has to take the game over and make plays. Brock wasn't able to scramble at all yesterday and he lost yardage on 2 or 3 completions instead of throwing the ball away. Hopefully he'll learn not to do that. He's still young and has a lot more games in front of him.

Agree. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. The defense was absolutely gassed as well
If an edge rusher is the best prospect in the draft board when it is our pick, then we get an edge rusher. It is not stupid.

Agree, if the EDGE is far and away a better player than the available OT, take the Edge. our D line needs depth badly, they got gassed and we could not rotate. When it was all on the line Pat had time - he was running for his life for the 1st half and early Q3
Share 49ersWebzone