There are 284 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Chiefs O line was terrible last night. Couldn't run against our bad run D and their tackles were awful.

O line needs to be upgraded but Brock also must take the next step. Two separate issues.

Allowed fewer hurries and pressures against a stud DL lineup than the 49ers did against random backup level players and Chris Jones.

And this was without an All Pro guard in Thuney.

A lot is made out of the importance of the blind side OT, and for good reason. However, I would contend that a great Center is just as important.

Last night we saw an example of that. Creed Humphrey controlled the middle of the LOS all night long for KC. In contrast, Jake Brendel got rag-dolled often. The result was that Purdy frequently had no time to step up in the pocket while Mahomes only had to worry about outside pressure for the most part.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
We may as well have Mayor McCheese out there for that final goalline play all the good McK did

Mayor McCheese would've blocke Chis Jones though. Dude has a massive upper body made out of hamburger
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
this guy had BA wide open in the endzone but didnt even look his way...

This is a bad (and uneducated) take. The first read was to Jennings. But it doesn't even matter. He couldn't even get to his first read because McKivitz decided to block air.

The way I saw it was that Burford missed his assignment. He dove inside on a man that Brendal already controlled. The way McK turned outside from the jump suggests he expected SB to take Jones. Shanahan said he thought it was a lack of communication,
I thought Brock played good not great. Our playcalling didn't appear to be up to snuff. A few route running errors, a couple routes left unfinished, a couple drops and a lot of missed blocks from the oline certainly changed the potential narrative.

deebo, cmc, aiyuk, kittle, Williams, Mckivits… all deserve a lot more blame here than purdy. They all made mistakes we can point to.

oh well. Team game, team loss. Happy to have purdy going forward
It usually takes 3 years for a decent QB to really get it. Brock has completed 1.5 years, has exceeded our expectations and the game will continue to get slower and easier to him.

Hes 23 and what we've learned is as long as you have a FQB in this league you have a chance. Brady would never play on a team with an Oline like this. That was priority #1 when he went to Tampa. We're wasting Kiittles skills as a receiver with all the blocking he needs to help with. The future of our success is up to Lynch in drafting and signing a better right side of the line. McKivtz and Burford are backups.

With Brock we will be fine for another 10 years. He found a lot of different receivers yesterday, and Deebo did drop a tight throw at a critical moment. We will be OK, but Lynch needs to find studs in the draft.
I agree. Time to put the priority on the offensive line. Once they do that, I think things will change.
  • BigT
There is no way anyone should be checking out on Purdy. Overall he played well considering Jones was trying to kill him most of the game. Jones is a wrecker and has been more now that they move him around. He finds the weak link and exploits it. Purdy made some clutch throws under pressure. Did he miss some? Sure but he is only a second year QB playing against a well coached defense that can give a ton of looks. As a Chiefs fan I felt he handled the pressure well, better than Lamar for sure
Originally posted by dj43:

This is a bad (and uneducated) take. The first read was to Jennings. But it doesn't even matter. He couldn't even get to his first read because McKivitz decided to block air.

The way I saw it was that Burford missed his assignment. He dove inside on a man that Brendal already controlled. The way McK turned outside from the jump suggests he expected SB to take Jones. Shanahan said he thought it was a lack of communication,

Such a momentous error by the right side. I'm guessing if Feliciano is playing, (as average as he is) he doesn't miss that assignment. Purdy needed just a quarter second more of protection to get that ball to Jennings, imo. Regardless, even if we were to win with Feliciano making the block that Burford didn't, I could still do with a complete overhaul of the right side from C to RT, those three positions need to at least have drafted competition if not outright paid replacements. Just a f**king travesty to miss that block completely and not even give Purdy a chance to give us a TD there.
[ Edited by Chance on Feb 12, 2024 at 10:48 AM ]
If you think Purdy was the problem last night, please don't reproduce. Thank you.
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:01 AM ]

What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.
A lot is made out of the importance of the blind side OT, and for good reason. However, I would contend that a great Center is just as important.

Last night we saw an example of that. Creed Humphrey controlled the middle of the LOS all night long for KC. In contrast, Jake Brendel got rag-dolled often. The result was that Purdy frequently had no time to step up in the pocket while Mahomes only had to worry about outside pressure for the most part.

Of the last 4 teams in the playoffs, each one had a top end center other than the 49ers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Chiefs O line was terrible last night. Couldn't run against our bad run D and their tackles were awful.

O line needs to be upgraded but Brock also must take the next step. Two separate issues.

Allowed fewer hurries and pressures against a stud DL lineup than the 49ers did against random backup level players and Chris Jones.

And this was without an All Pro guard in Thuney.

I'm so glad there are only 4 fans left in the WZ who don't get this concept.
Brock Purdy had a 55.3 passer rating when targeting Kittle, Deebo and Aiyuk.
[ Edited by 49er_Rider on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:08 AM ]
  • jed_X
  • Veteran

well then...what happened to his legs? mahomes basically won it scrambling....brock took a s**t in the biggest moment

this basically decided the game...mahomes clearly wanted it more
His legs were useless because they have a spy on him. Number 20 was in him everytime he try to scramble.
Share 49ersWebzone