There are 280 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Of all the problems we had yesterday, Purdy doesn't even make the top 5
Brock was far from the reason we lost, kid just keeps gettting better, right side of o line needs addressed.
[ Edited by iowa49er_75 on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.

A big part about having better OL is OL that can make those adjustments on the fly and help pick up blitzers coming through. You don't need 5 All Pros, but you need a solid OL overall, especially if you have a young QB that is still figuring things out.

You can't have RT and RG be a near complete void.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I just don't think hes a special quarterback.

Probably predicting a regression next year unfortunately.

Yeah they need a new offensive line on the right side, but I think Kyle and Lynch will draft an edge rusher in the 1st rd to replace Chase Young.

Drafting an edge rusher in the first would be in a word- stupid. That style isn't going to get it done.

Also, Brock is pretty lights out when protected. After the Chiefs got mauled by the Bucs, they built up that O-line. Brock did what he did with a bottom third O line in terms of pass pro. What would he do if our line was just average? Not great,not good,just average?

We've seen Tom Brady and Patrick Mahommes fold with the heat on them. Brock went to OT with an all time great QB. He's the least of my worries.

Preach!

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

Feliciano makes the block Burford missed against Jones and we score a TD there, easy. JJs route was a blitz beater and he would have scored had Purdy has even a quarter second of protection against the free rush. This was a failure on a backup who had been a backup for a reason when an average guy like Feliciano replaced him. Burford s**t the bed. There's no other interpretation there. Backups make mistakes in high pressure situations, it's why they aren't starters.
Originally posted by Chance:
I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

I don't understand why they wouldn't find a starter at QB in the 7th round every 4 years, or why every team doesn't do it. What are they, stupid?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A big part about having better OL is OL that can make those adjustments on the fly and help pick up blitzers coming through. You don't need 5 All Pros, but you need a solid OL overall, especially if you have a young QB that is still figuring things out.

Watch JTO and he'll have that full breakdown coming, complete with this drop back game not having answers vs this exact issue, what to do when the QB needs to unload quick. It's a protection plan failure and a route concept failure. The aspect that stings is we have the personnel to beat this. We have the WRs and the quick processing and quick draw QB, who is fearless.

I don't understand why they wouldn't find a starter at QB in the 7th round every 4 years, or why every team doesn't do it. What are they, stupid?

Fire this whole FO for only finding one 7th round MVP candidate QB in their entire tenure. Pathetic.

Watch JTO and he'll have that full breakdown coming, complete with this drop back game not having answers vs this exact issue, what to do when the QB needs to unload quick. It's a protection plan failure and a route concept failure. The aspect that stings is we have the personnel to beat this. We have the WRs and the quick processing and quick draw QB, who is fearless.

Be careful criticizing Kyle around here lol
Purdy was not the reason we lost.

KS put him in a lot of touch passing downs and he did as well as he could under those circumstances. Add in the poor protection most of the game.

We did beat. Everyone else on the field beat it except the two knuckleheads on the right side of our o line. Purdy gets the ball to JJ for a score if someone puts a helmet on Jones for even a moment. Just stand in his way and get blown up like a bowling pin even, just don't let him get a full head of steam into the QBs face. It was a failure by a backup RG, plain and simple.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Brock didn't lose us this game. He played his heart out. What screwed us was the online s**tting the bed and Kyle's knack for calling slow developing plays that give his QB no time to make his reads. OR not having an answer to all out blitzes with hot reads. Kyle didn't do his homework again.

If you watch JTO he takes KS to task for not having hot answers and we see it for years. And you pair that with going against a guy who puts 8 on the LOS and no idea which of them are coming, they all can blitz. Lot of stress on getting protections right and are there legit options to unload quick or is Brock hung out to dry.

Yup, he and Kurt have been calling that out for years.

Feliciano makes the block Burford missed against Jones and we score a TD there, easy. JJs route was a blitz beater and he would have scored had Purdy has even a quarter second of protection against the free rush. This was a failure on a backup who had been a backup for a reason when an average guy like Feliciano replaced him. Burford s**t the bed. There's no other interpretation there. Backups make mistakes in high pressure situations, it's why they aren't starters.

He's not a backup. He rotates series with Feliciano every game.
Share 49ersWebzone