There are 253 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Purdy was not the reason we lost.

KS put him in a lot of touch passing downs and he did as well as he could under those circumstances. Add in the poor protection most of the game.

He wasn't THE reason... But he was A reason.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Purdy was not the reason we lost.

KS put him in a lot of touch passing downs and he did as well as he could under those circumstances. Add in the poor protection most of the game.

He wasn't THE reason... But he was A reason.

Way behind the following reasons:
Luter
Moody
CMC
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.

Feliciano makes the block Burford missed against Jones and we score a TD there, easy. JJs route was a blitz beater and he would have scored had Purdy has even a quarter second of protection against the free rush. This was a failure on a backup who had been a backup for a reason when an average guy like Feliciano replaced him. Burford s**t the bed. There's no other interpretation there. Backups make mistakes in high pressure situations, it's why they aren't starters.

He's not a backup. He rotates series with Feliciano every game.

^ Wrong again, but anything to muddy the waters. They were not rotating in the playoffs. He only got snaps when Feliciano got injured
Thank you Brock. You got us there and you will do it again. I just hope we have the supporting cast and coaches to get you a title. Anyone blaming him is blind and stupid. He was getting crushed and his idiotic coach kept passing. Run the ball Kyle.. idiot.
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
If only brock recognized that slot blitz in that 3 and 4 in the last 2min and hit aiyuk. He was wide open. Instead, he predetermined that he was going to JJ no matter what.
Originally posted by jed_X:
If only brock recognized that slot blitz in that 3 and 4 in the last 2min and hit aiyuk. He was wide open. Instead, he predetermined that he was going to JJ no matter what.

I dont agree with this at all. Had nothing to do with not recognizing the blitz as much as maybe having faith that McKivitz wouldnt just let Jones run through untouched.
Still an MVP. Got beat up, pressured, hit, sacked, rushed, tracked down, etc.

Missed a few deep shots for TD's (as a result), had 3rd down passes knocked down, had a few accuracy issues, threw into double coverage, threw passes for 8 yard losses, etc. but in the end, played well enough to win under duress.

Don't forget how poorly QB's play under regular heat (e.g. Mahomes losses, 3 points in the first half, Brady, Stafford, etc.). Context.

ShanaLynch can make life a whole lot easier for him next year by prioritizing the OL with real talent and competition and adding more safe guards and easy hot routes and game plans that give him early easy passes to help him get into a rhythm.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by LB49ers:
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

What is the score if we flip QB's last night? Would you trade Purdy for Love? Stroud? both are essentially rookies. What makes him so valuable right now is he is out performing his current contract. That will not be the case next contract. What is is worth. I can at least 12 QB's Id take over him. He is a good NFL QB but breaking the bank might be risky
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.

Unfortunately, thats not how kyle teaches his offense. I remember reading a tweet how Matt Lafleur allows Love to change or slide protection while kyle doesn't do that.

its SF. We'd blame Joe Burrow if he was our QB and we lost...
Brock never waivered, when it mattered he led 3 straight scoring drives in spite of the constant pressure.

His QBR vs the blitz was mid 70s against that defense. Meanwhile Lamar, JA, and Tua had a QBR of 6 vs the same team.

The kid missed some reads and some throws and vs Mahomes it is going to hurt, but I am encouraged by his moxie and toughness. Get him a freaking Oline.
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I dont agree with this at all. Had nothing to do with not recognizing the blitz as much as maybe having faith that McKivitz wouldnt just let Jones run through untouched.

You're talking about a different play. I'm talking about a different 3rd and 4 coming out of 2 min warning. As soon as the slot peeled off aiyuk brandon was wide open at the marker looking at brock but the pass went to JJ. Game might be over if brock saw aiyuk.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

You're talking about a different play. I'm talking about a different 3rd and 4 coming out of 2 min warning. As soon as the slot peeled off aiyuk brandon was wide open at the marker looking at brock but the pass went to JJ. Game might be over if brock saw aiyuk.

I think that pass goes to BA, it only looks like it went to JJ, cuz it was knocked down, and knocked to JJ. It was knocked pretty early in flight.
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

What is the score if we flip QB's last night? Would you trade Purdy for Love? Stroud? both are essentially rookies. What makes him so valuable right now is he is out performing his current contract. That will not be the case next contract. What is is worth. I can at least 12 QB's Id take over him. He is a good NFL QB but breaking the bank might be risky

This is crazy talk.
I would take Mahomes over him and that's it.
He played at an elite level last year.

Did you see how the MVP performed against the Chiefs two weeks ago?
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Feb 12, 2024 at 12:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone