There are 278 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anyone who considers Brock anything close to a reason we lost is a moron. In the +- column he was a + this game for sure. Don't need to be perfect to be a net positive for your team. Mahomes certainly wasn't. If that's the quality of your football take than I wouldn't trust you to tell me that Brady is better than Zach Wilson.
[ Edited by HawkBearPig on Feb 12, 2024 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Purdy was not the reason we lost.

KS put him in a lot of touch passing downs and he did as well as he could under those circumstances. Add in the poor protection most of the game.

He wasn't THE reason... But he was A reason.

Purdy played good football. I dont understand people saying he was a reason we lost at all.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Originally posted by Chance:
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

What is the score if we flip QB's last night? Would you trade Purdy for Love? Stroud? both are essentially rookies. What makes him so valuable right now is he is out performing his current contract. That will not be the case next contract. What is is worth. I can at least 12 QB's Id take over him. He is a good NFL QB but breaking the bank might be risky
The fact that there's 12 QBs you'd take over him tells me all I need to know.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Purdy was not the reason we lost.

KS put him in a lot of touch passing downs and he did as well as he could under those circumstances. Add in the poor protection most of the game.

Purdy played good football. I dont understand people saying he was a reason we lost at all.

Tbf, in a loss like this, you can blame just about everyone.

But I agree he's not even in the top 70% of reasons we lost.
Brock the guy. Build around him starting with upgrading the f**king OL.

I don't know that I agree with that.

He didn't turn the ball over. He did have some over throws, but most of which weren't his fault. The one to Aiyuk, Aiyuk stopped on his route. The one to Deebo, the defense lit him up as he threw it. And one to Kittle, Kittle seemed to not be able to track the ball until it was too late. None of those are on Purdy.

My top reasons for the loss, in no particular order:

-Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle unable to get open
-Kyle's 3rd quarter playcalling where he went away from McCaffrey for 3 straight 3 and outs
-Wilks' poor scheme in the 4th quarter and OT that let the Chiefs move downfield unchallenged
-Special teams blunder that, while not really anyone's fault, had disastrous results
-Poor pass blocking that didn't allow Purdy to get comfortable and make plays
-CMC's fumble which, again, wasn't exactly his fault but was disastrous
-Injury to Dre Greenlaw

I put little to no blame on Purdy for the loss, outside of the fact that he's part of the team that lost so they all contributed to it. I felt no problems with Purdy's performance coming out of that game.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

What is the score if we flip QB's last night? Would you trade Purdy for Love? Stroud? both are essentially rookies. What makes him so valuable right now is he is out performing his current contract. That will not be the case next contract. What is is worth. I can at least 12 QB's Id take over him. He is a good NFL QB but breaking the bank might be risky

Steve Ruiz started posting here apparently.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:

Steve Ruiz started posting here apparently.
Lol
Originally posted by jed_X:
If only brock recognized that slot blitz in that 3 and 4 in the last 2min and hit aiyuk. He was wide open. Instead, he predetermined that he was going to JJ no matter what.

I dont agree with this at all. Had nothing to do with not recognizing the blitz as much as maybe having faith that McKivitz wouldnt just let Jones run through untouched.

You're talking about a different play. I'm talking about a different 3rd and 4 coming out of 2 min warning. As soon as the slot peeled off aiyuk brandon was wide open at the marker looking at brock but the pass went to JJ. Game might be over if brock saw aiyuk.

My mistake. Yes, this was a bad read. Purdy should get some blame for this for sure.
Originally posted by Franchise408:

He didn't turn the ball over. He did have some over throws, but most of which weren't his fault. The one to Aiyuk, Aiyuk stopped on his route. The one to Deebo, the defense lit him up as he threw it. And one to Kittle, Kittle seemed to not be able to track the ball until it was too late. None of those are on Purdy.

-Kyle's 3rd quarter playcalling where he went away from McCaffrey for 3 straight 3 and outs
-Wilks' poor scheme in the 4th quarter and OT that let the Chiefs move downfield unchallenged
-Special teams blunder that, while not really anyone's fault, had disastrous results
-Injury to Dre Greenlaw

I put little to no blame on Purdy for the loss, outside of the fact that he's part of the team that lost so they all contributed to it. I felt no problems with Purdy's performance coming out of that game.

Purdy went 4 for 11 in the 3rd quarter. Went 3 and out after the Mahomes INT. Would of gone 3 and out in OT if not for a defensive holding call and cant get a TD and had to settle for a FG. I get not giving him all the blame but he didn't do enough to win the game.

Originally posted by Franchise408:

-Injury to Dre Greenlaw

Purdy went 4 for 11 in the 3rd quarter. Went 3 and out after the Mahomes INT. Would of gone 3 and out in OT if not for a defensive holding call and cant get a TD and had to settle for a FG. I get not giving him all the blame but he didn't do enough to win the game.

Purdy's numbers are a result of the circumstances around him in those situations. The offense as a group shat the bed in those situations. But let's only hold Purdy responsible. Okay.
My mistake. Yes, this was a bad read. Purdy should get some blame for this for sure.

Yea, missed opportunity there. But we have to remember he is a 2nd year guy. He has lots of room for improvement in the mental side of the game, even though he is advanced for a 2nd year guy.

Just mentioned in another thread that I don't think we can be too critical of that playcall… but if we could have it over it's probably a better spot to run it (potentially twice) given the situation.
If only brock recognized that slot blitz in that 3 and 4 in the last 2min and hit aiyuk. He was wide open. Instead, he predetermined that he was going to JJ no matter what.

I dont agree with this at all. Had nothing to do with not recognizing the blitz as much as maybe having faith that McKivitz wouldnt just let Jones run through untouched.

You're talking about a different play. I'm talking about a different 3rd and 4 coming out of 2 min warning. As soon as the slot peeled off aiyuk brandon was wide open at the marker looking at brock but the pass went to JJ. Game might be over if brock saw aiyuk.

To expand on this, yeah we can look at this play and say it was a critical miss. But I didnt see many missed reads or bad decisions by Purdy all game. Bummer he missed this one though.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
He's to blame in the sense that he's the QB and we couldn't score more than 19 points against what was an up and down KC team all year long. But to lay blame on him as the primary reason we lost is not fair. Our HC/OC s**t the bed....again.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.

Unfortunately, thats not how kyle teaches his offense. I remember reading a tweet how Matt Lafleur allows Love to change or slide protection while kyle doesn't do that.

I literally watched plays this year, when Love recognized presnap blitz, so he calls in the TE on protection and throws a strike TD. I believe on the back breaker TD vs DAL to Wicks if I am recalling from memory vs zero. Stunning Love and all those TEs and WRs are so young, many rookies, and they make QB protection look so easy. We couldn't touch Love. Meanwhile, our QBs for years are getting blown the eff up. With a HOF LT btw.
Share 49ersWebzone