There are 202 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by HawkBearPig:
Purdy's numbers are a result of the circumstances around him in those situations. The offense as a group shat the bed in those situations. But let's only hold Purdy responsible. Okay.

Who is only holding Purdy accountable? He is the QB and if he is going to get the credit for the win then he is going to share in the blame for the loss.

It's nit-picky. Everyone shares the blame, but some players more than others. Purdy is near last on that list. Protected the ball, kept us in a position to win. Made huge plays down the stretch. Would have given us 7 in OT without a blown assignment on Jones. Purdy wasn't the problem last night.

No it was an offensive softness overall not just Brock but it is true his entire playoff resume was no where near his regular season play. Love him, but we have one more year to grade him before contract time. There needs to be no emotions involved next year in grading before dishing out $40m a year.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Feb 12, 2024 at 1:03 PM ]
I had some doubt on his overall ability and ceiling, Brock has proven me wrong and I think we got our long-term guy

if he keeps improve and we continue to build a good roster. We will be in play to win it al every yr and that's all you can ask for

No reason to believe he won't improve.
If we have Brees, which seems to be the consensus as his ceiling. We would all take that comp, but we need the Oline to be fixed. The interior has to allow him to step into his throws. He is still 24 years old, finally has an offseason to work on his craft.

I think he takes another jump this offseason.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
What is Brock worth when his contract is up vs what he is going to ask for? If he asks for Dak type money I think based on what he has shown I might say no. I think he is a good NFL QB but if we have to get weaker across the board I just don't see him being able to carry a team.

I agree. I think we should go back to the drawing board and just grab another 7th round MVP candidate QB.

What is the score if we flip QB's last night? Would you trade Purdy for Love? Stroud? both are essentially rookies. What makes him so valuable right now is he is out performing his current contract. That will not be the case next contract. What is is worth. I can at least 12 QB's Id take over him. He is a good NFL QB but breaking the bank might be risky
The fact that there's 12 QBs you'd take over him tells me all I need to know.

Mahomes
Allen
Lamar
Burrow
Rogers
Herbert
Stroud
Lawrence
Love
Cousins
Prescott
Stafford

maybe
Goff
Hurts
Murray

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I had some doubt on his overall ability and ceiling, Brock has proven me wrong and I think we got our long-term guy

if he keeps improve and we continue to build a good roster. We will be in play to win it al every yr and that's all you can ask for

Originally posted by 9erson3:
Purdy's numbers are a result of the circumstances around him in those situations. The offense as a group shat the bed in those situations. But let's only hold Purdy responsible. Okay.

Who is only holding Purdy accountable? He is the QB and if he is going to get the credit for the win then he is going to share in the blame for the loss.

It's nit-picky. Everyone shares the blame, but some players more than others. Purdy is near last on that list. Protected the ball, kept us in a position to win. Made huge plays down the stretch. Would have given us 7 in OT without a blown assignment on Jones. Purdy wasn't the problem last night.

No it was an offensive softness overall not just Brock but it is true his entire playoff resume was no where near his regular season play. Love him, but we have one more year to grade him before contract time. There needs to be no emotions involved next year in grading before dishing out $40m a year.

Brock may continue to play well in the future and be near the top in stats but yesterday we saw the difference between good and great. I doubt anyone would say Brock is on Mahomes level but being great isn't about piling up stats. It's about being able to rise up and win those big games. Time will tell if Brock can become that type of player but his physicl tools are limited. He has to complete 68% and average 8 yards or more for this team to be effective. He can't just make great plays all the time like Mahomes.

It's not fair to compare Brock and Mahomes but there's a clear line between good and great. Remember how many thought JG was going to keep improving and he never did. Brock isn't going to suddenly grow 3 inches and develop a rifle arm. What he can do is learn when to throw the ball away instead of throwing a pass behind the line that loses yards. He's shown he can scramble but he needs to learn when to use the run. Mahomes isnt much faster than Brock but he almost always has a couple of big scrambles during the game.

On to the draft and next season.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Rich telling the truth.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Brock may continue to play well in the future and be near the top in stats but yesterday we saw the difference between good and great. I doubt anyone would say Brock is on Mahomes level but being great isn't about piling up stats. It's about being able to rise up and win those big games. Time will tell if Brock can become that type of player but his physicl tools are limited. He has to complete 68% and average 8 yards or more for this team to be effective. He can't just make great plays all the time like Mahomes.

It's not fair to compare Brock and Mahomes but there's a clear line between good and great. Remember how many thought JG was going to keep improving and he never did. Brock isn't going to suddenly grow 3 inches and develop a rifle arm. What he can do is learn when to throw the ball away instead of throwing a pass behind the line that loses yards. He's shown he can scramble but he needs to learn when to use the run. Mahomes isnt much faster than Brock but he almost always has a couple of big scrambles during the game.

Brock performed better than Lamar, JA, and Tua vs this defense. It was a historically good defense. He mad some great plays and had some questionable ones. Accuracy and processing is still his calling card. He will improve, Spags put him in a blender and he didn't waiver.

Its not easy to face Spags in a big game. He stopped the greatest offense of all-time with Tom Brady. He completely made Lamar inadequate. Then at the end Kyle put the ball in Mahomes hands. Its one of the times you want a Dan Campbell type guy playing to win.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Anyone blaming Purdy is either an emotional moron or football dumb. Or both. The o line played well the first quarter then got owned. Chris jones again dominated.

This!

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 9erson3:

I think we saw the difference between a great defense with an average scheme and a good defense with a great scheme. That contextualizes how each QB played. Purdy, overall, played remarkably well against that defense and their pressure scheme.
Originally posted by captveg:
Mahomes is a first ballot HOFer in his 7th year who is going to appear in 10+ Super Bowls when it is all said and done, and be considered the Greatest QB of All Time. Let's not expect the same from Purdy, yeah? The kid played well, but like every QB in history except Mahomes he needs better OL protection. Chris Jones wrecked timing on multiple would-be TDs. Blocking him changes the game.

There is NO SUCH THING as GOAT. Greatest of his era (GOHE) is possible. GOAT is not possible. The game changes, rules change, there is no way to analyze and compare with any useful accuracy.
He is him.

Loved how gritty he played and proved he is the one. I'm any other industry the man would be given a raise for what he did in these last season and a half.

With that said we need to beef up that offensive line. With time he showed he can ball yesterday. Not sure if it is an offensive line issue than a Kyle issue. Those schemes to deceive the line comes back to vote you when there are free runners at Purdy.
It's incredibly clear to me that if we let their best rusher go unblocked then there's very little chance of success and I don't really know football.
I hope it's obvious to the coaching staff when they draft. I bet Purdy makes a lot more plays when he's protected a little more.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Exactly. I dont think people understand how hard it is to play like Purdy just played in the superbowl. Honestly I thought he played a great smart game. Just one play here and there away from getting it done. Honestly Purdy is probably one of the last people I would blame for this loss.

Spot on!
Share 49ersWebzone