There are 264 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not sure if you read the Ringer story about how Kyle's offense has evolved. It's not a bunch of PA throws, which masks PBLK issues.

It's time to invest along the line. This draft is ideal for it.

I haven't yet but will check it out later.

And yeah there's no reason why they can't walk out of the draft with at least one new starter on the OL and a couple guys to develop into starters down the road.
Not only will we build a big beautiful wall around Brock Purdy, but we will make Seattle pay for it. Believe me.
My problem with Purdy last night was that 3rd down at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. He has to see that linebacker blitz. With the game on the line that just has to be on the radar. That's what great quarterbacks of the past see and then those guys are in sync with their receivers to hot route. The inside receiver should have ran a sharp slant and that's an easy pitch and catch for a first down, you beat that blitz. And he was the best at facing the blitz this year.

This is a problem with a lot of the current quarterbacks. Attention to detail at the critical points in the game in the playoffs is the difference between winning and losing. There's a lot of quarterbacks with arm talent and physical tools and they put up great stats but can't make the critical plays.

All in all though, if those turnovers, blown coverage resulting in the chiefs first td and the missed blocked assignment, missed PAT don't happen, the niners are probably champions and the narrative around Purdy is completely different today.
Originally posted by FootballFan12:
My problem with Purdy last night was that 3rd down at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. He has to see that linebacker blitz. With the game on the line that just has to be on the radar. That's what great quarterbacks of the past see and then those guys are in sync with their receivers to hot route. The inside receiver should have ran a sharp slant and that's an easy pitch and catch for a first down, you beat that blitz. And he was the best at facing the blitz this year.

This is a problem with a lot of the current quarterbacks. Attention to detail at the critical points in the game in the playoffs is the difference between winning and losing. There's a lot of quarterbacks with arm talent and physical tools and they put up great stats but can't make the critical plays.

All in all though, if those turnovers, blown coverage resulting in the chiefs first td and the missed blocked assignment, missed PAT don't happen, the niners are probably champions and the narrative around Purdy is completely different today.

That wasn't a linebacker. That was Chris Jones, a DT. He came through the space Burford was supposed to defend. Had Burford slowed Jones down at all, Purdy had his choice of two wide-open receivers.
Originally posted by dj43:
That wasn't a linebacker. That was Chris Jones, a DT. He came through the space Burford was supposed to defend. Had Burford slowed Jones down at all, Purdy had his choice of two wide-open receivers.

He's talking about the 3rd down coming out of the two minute warning.

[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Feb 12, 2024 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Brees had multiple All Pros on his OL and they built it with very few high draft picks. The goal should be to build a wall for Purdy to give him more consistent time from the pocket.

We will build a big, beautiful wall around Brock Purdy, believe me.

Don't f**k with me.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by FootballFan12:

I think he is talking about the Mcdoughy blitz where the ball was batted down. He is right that it looks like Purdy takes longer then he should have to register that he was coming. He should have went to Ayiuk quickly but instead had to try to get it off towards the blitz and a covered Jennings. Fair is fair. Brock could have been better on it. But nothing that gives me concern going forward.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He's talking about the 3rd down coming out of the two minute warning.

Play is there to be made. Just throw it on Aiyuk and its a first.

Brock will get better at reading that. Thats the next step.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Purdy called the wrong protection on the 3 and 4 play on the goal line which resulted in the unblock chris Jones smh

You cant be serious. So Purdy called for McKivitz to block no one and leave Jones unblocked?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Play is there to be made. Just throw it on Aiyuk and its a first.

Brock will get better at reading that. Thats the next step.

That's the hope. No reason to assume he can't.

That said, I still think this is better suited as a run (potentially twice) situation with our current roster/scheme.

That's the hope. No reason to assume he can't.

That said, I still think this is better suited as a run (potentially twice) situation with our current roster/scheme.

Brock showed he was really good against the blitz all year. Perhaps Kyle thought Brock was farther along that he actually is. Hard to know.
Brock showed he was really good against the blitz all year. Perhaps Kyle thought Brock was farther along that he actually is. Hard to know.

Like I said in other threads, I don't want to crush Kyle for this call because there's no real reason we can't convert it. It's not any kind of egregious playcalling mistake.

Like I said in other threads, I don't want to crush Kyle for this call because there's no real reason we can't convert it. It's not any kind of egregious playcalling mistake.

Brock did throw it to the quick read, but it got deflected by the blitzer.

It's actually not all that different than his pass to Kittle against Miami last year in principle, except in that case the ball came out clean.
[ Edited by captveg on Feb 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

It's actually not all that different than his pass to Kittle against Miami last year in principle, except in that case the ball came out clean.

Looked pretty clear he was going to Jennings there… beyond not recognizing the blitzer.
Originally posted by captveg:

Looked pretty clear he was going to Jennings there… beyond not recognizing the blitzer.

Jennings is open being led to the first down if a non-deflected accurate pass is thrown, which Purdy has shown to be good at. Nothing wrong with that decision.
[ Edited by captveg on Feb 12, 2024 at 3:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone