There are 257 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
interesting snippet.

In this case, the score stayed 10–3 because of how the defense was turning a corner, thanks to a couple adjustments the Chiefs' wizard of a defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, implemented right around the break. It was necessary, quite simply, because Brock Purdy was better than Spagnuolo may have anticipated coming in.

"The zones, I just think their wideouts and quarterback are so good at their timing routes, and Brock Purdy is really good," Spagnuolo said "He knew when we were in certain things, and he found seams."

So Spagnuolo put his trust in corners Trent McDuffie, L'Jarius Sneed, Jaylen Watson and Joshua Williams, and went very man-heavy in the second half and overtime. He also decided, after he and Kyle Shanahan had played a cat-and-mouse game with personnel packages in the first half, that he'd leave his nickel defense out there against the Niners' base offense—which put Spags's defensive line on the spot to win its matchups.

He also came up with a couple specific tweaks. The Chiefs didn't get to all of them, but one was a man pressure that set the tone out of the half. It came right after Mahomes's interception, with Leo Chenal coming free to pressure Purdy into a throwaway. And the simple freedom he had to do it explains not just who he is, but who his players are.

"We threw in two or three new things, one of them we never got to," Spagnuolo said. "The other two were key. Leo [Chenal] was involved in one of them, a very early play in the second half, Leo got through and made him throw it really quick. Typically, I'll say let's not run something we haven't practiced. This group, you can do that. If it's something that we did three weeks ago and you say, 'Hey guys, can we do it?' They're all for it."

One guy sees something isn't working and adjusts. Other guy keeps doing the same thing even after it's clear the other team is adjusting.

Wilkes seemed to fall into his old habits. Pressure with a soft shell, against the worst possible QB to play that way against. I'm just not a fan of that scheme if and he doesn't seem to be able to adjust his philosophy when something isn't working.
interesting snippet.

In this case, the score stayed 10–3 because of how the defense was turning a corner, thanks to a couple adjustments the Chiefs' wizard of a defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, implemented right around the break. It was necessary, quite simply, because Brock Purdy was better than Spagnuolo may have anticipated coming in.

"The zones, I just think their wideouts and quarterback are so good at their timing routes, and Brock Purdy is really good," Spagnuolo said "He knew when we were in certain things, and he found seams."

So Spagnuolo put his trust in corners Trent McDuffie, L'Jarius Sneed, Jaylen Watson and Joshua Williams, and went very man-heavy in the second half and overtime. He also decided, after he and Kyle Shanahan had played a cat-and-mouse game with personnel packages in the first half, that he'd leave his nickel defense out there against the Niners' base offense—which put Spags's defensive line on the spot to win its matchups.

He also came up with a couple specific tweaks. The Chiefs didn't get to all of them, but one was a man pressure that set the tone out of the half. It came right after Mahomes's interception, with Leo Chenal coming free to pressure Purdy into a throwaway. And the simple freedom he had to do it explains not just who he is, but who his players are.

"We threw in two or three new things, one of them we never got to," Spagnuolo said. "The other two were key. Leo [Chenal] was involved in one of them, a very early play in the second half, Leo got through and made him throw it really quick. Typically, I'll say let's not run something we haven't practiced. This group, you can do that. If it's something that we did three weeks ago and you say, 'Hey guys, can we do it?' They're all for it."

Sometimes you just gotta give the other coach and team props. Spags should be a HC somewhere
Originally posted by NYniner85:
interesting snippet.

Sometimes you just gotta give the other coach and team props. Spags should be a HC somewhere

He went 11-41 (.212) as a head coach. Some guys, like Fangio, are DCs.
Purdy led go ahead scoring drives twice in the 4th quarter and once in OT. The more I think about, the more I just wanna get this kid some better blocking and let him rip it.
Originally posted by captveg:
Purdy led go ahead scoring drives twice in the 4th quarter and once in OT. The more I think about, the more I just wanna get this kid some better blocking and let him rip it.

This, there's nothing I can rip Brock about. It's the backups we on the right side who are starting on this team that decide not to block the 1 legit guy they have on the dline that kept rushing his throws where there's no doubt in my mind if Jones was blocked he hits them
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by 9ersguy:
Originally posted by dj43:

We should ship burford to someone else. This dude couldn't figure out his assignments during the whole season. What a dud.

He was drafted in the 4th rd a few years ago, if he was picked by Lynch he doesn't give up on his choices easily

He was a rookie in 2022. Came from a smaller school - UTSA. Played tackle in college. The 49ers moved him inside. IIRC, he missed a good bit of TC this past summer with an injury. No excuses. He needs to get better, especially in pass protection.
Purdy wasn't fully 100 percent during training camp was he?
wasn't he taking it light due to his elbow?
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
interesting snippet.

He went 11-41 (.212) as a head coach. Some guys, like Fangio, are DCs.

Some guys are OCs
All he needed was 1 more second of protection... TD to Deebo AND Aiyuk...

f**king O-line cost us the game... Literally...
Originally posted by Eli_23:
All he needed was 1 more second of protection... TD to Deebo AND Aiyuk...

f**king O-line cost us the game... Literally...

KS cost us the game by passing on 3rd and 4 on 2 straight 4th quarter/OT possessions.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
interesting snippet.

One guy sees something isn't working and adjusts. Other guy keeps doing the same thing even after it's clear the other team is adjusting.

im sorry but this is about how good Purdy was, not whatever else the hell you're talking about
This was indeed Purdy's best game of the playoffs.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

This, there's nothing I can rip Brock about. It's the backups we on the right side who are starting on this team that decide not to block the 1 legit guy they have on the dline that kept rushing his throws where there's no doubt in my mind if Jones was blocked he hits them

They allowed 9 unblocked rushes. 9!
Originally posted by DrEll:
Some guys are OCs

Josh McDaniels
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Some guys are OCs

Josh McDaniels

Not sure he is even a good OC
Share 49ersWebzone