There are 256 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My parting thoughts on the matter til I checkout completely til week 1 of next season:

The offense needs to be redesigned to run through Purdy. He has shown to be good enough to be considered a top 5 QB. Keep CMC as he is the obvious best RB in football and multifaceted in his skillset. But we need to offload Deebo. Trade him for what we can get for him in draft compensation and/or a good OL player. Replace him in the draft or FA with a more traditional receiver that can complement BA with good route running and ability to get separation from sticky coverage.

Kittle is overrated as a pass catcher and doesn't have championship DNA. Keep him since he still is a top TE, but feature him less as a weapon since he doesn't show up in big games anyway. His role moving forward will be as a run blocker since that is what he is best at. Maybe draft a more prototypical pass catching TE in the next draft or 2.

BA stays, he has the best chemistry from Brock and has number 1 potential if he continues to improve. JJ can stay too for the right price, he comes up clutch consistently, but again we need to add to the WR room another good route runner with separation potential. Our current WR room is built around Jimmy G, and Brock is capable of achieving more with a WR core that can threaten outside and deep.

OL composition needs a shift in philosophy as well. More emphasis on linemen that excel at pass pro over run blocking. By all means keep the Shanahan zone runs scheme in place, but it need not be the focal point of the offense anymore. We don't have to work around game manager Jimmy G's limitations anymore. Time to get this thing structured so we can air it out and take advantage of the pass happy rules of the current NFL. Basically, need to follow the Chiefs formula.
Just had a long conversation with my buddy whose knowledge of the game I really admire. We were talking QBs and basically talked about many in the game today. He's a Skins fan who I met back when RG3 was a rookie and he was the first to tell me Kyle was a genius.

He categorized Purdy as a very good processor, very resilient, instinctive, with some wiggle (to be defined shortly), gunslinger, a very good QB. What he lacks is ability to put velocity on throws, which takes away certain routes (skinny posts, arrow routes). Arm strength and velocity aren't the same things.....Montana didn't have arm strength but he had velocity. So if you take away his anticipation strength, it makes it harder for him to complete tight window throws.

Wiggle is how he defines a QB's ability to be able to throw off platform when the pocket is collapsing or defender forces him off his mark. Not every QB has wiggle.....Cousins, Goff, no wiggle. They'll throw the ball away and live another down. Tua he said has no wiggle, but a good amount of that might be the concussion protection aspect.

Stafford, not much wiggle but great arm talent that can get him out of trouble. Plus it seems Stafford can improvise a bit better and make a play off schedule a bit more.

It's interesting he felt Cousins is a great processor of information and would play more to Kyle's system than even Purdy, but with a better arm.......just no wiggle to get him out of trouble. This would explain why Kyle loves Cousins so much, because he'd be the ultimate plug and play robot. He joked that he thinks Cousins will be the next Niner QB eventually.

I'm not totally sure I'm sold on Cousins being more resilient than Purdy, and that's really more watching Cousins' career than anyone else. Now, the $64,000 question is Cousins in this offense with this team......but it ignores the fact the OL still is mediocre, so nothing is fallible.

It was an interesting conversation because it's all analytical non homer talk. I don't always agree with everything, but a lot of stuff I do. He felt anyone else playing QB on the Chiefs last night and the Niners win the Super Bowl.....felt that Mahomes truly is that special to pull s**t out that nobody else in the league can do right now.

So it was definitely a painful stinging loss in his words, but at the same time, it was just a really tough opponent.

Based on everything we know, I feel good about Purdy, but at the same time Kyle absolutely has to build around his strengths and make sure to minimize his weaknesses the best way possible. Middlekauff was saying that Kyle should have Purdy bootleg more often......just because. Like it would add an element to the offense that would take advantage of his mobility in a more structured way.
It's time to retool and perhaps even changing up the offense. We still run with CMC but we need to build a passing offense which means legit pass blocking. No free runners coming at Brock. Free runners at Brock is from our deceptive scheme of pulling one way and going the other. Sometimes defenders are not fooled or commit to the pulling linemen. If we're sticking to the same offense then the ball needs to come out quick. I believe KC had a designated player to commit to the QB regardless how the line pulls. Chiefs are too smart for that.

I rather have a traditional passing scheme under center. More timing routes and carve them up with the dink and dunks. It also allows for play action which we somehow abandoned from center.
[ Edited by Eddie_D on Feb 12, 2024 at 7:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
My parting thoughts on the matter til I checkout completely til week 1 of next season:

The offense needs to be redesigned to run through Purdy. He has shown to be good enough to be considered a top 5 QB. Keep CMC as he is the obvious best RB in football and multifaceted in his skillset. But we need to offload Deebo. Trade him for what we can get for him in draft compensation and/or a good OL player. Replace him in the draft or FA with a more traditional receiver that can complement BA with good route running and ability to get separation from sticky coverage.

Kittle is overrated as a pass catcher and doesn't have championship DNA. Keep him since he still is a top TE, but feature him less as a weapon since he doesn't show up in big games anyway. His role moving forward will be as a run blocker since that is what he is best at. Maybe draft a more prototypical pass catching TE in the next draft or 2.

BA stays, he has the best chemistry from Brock and has number 1 potential if he continues to improve. JJ can stay too for the right price, he comes up clutch consistently, but again we need to add to the WR room another good route runner with separation potential. Our current WR room is built around Jimmy G, and Brock is capable of achieving more with a WR core that can threaten outside and deep.

OL composition needs a shift in philosophy as well. More emphasis on linemen that excel at pass pro over run blocking. By all means keep the Shanahan zone runs scheme in place, but it need not be the focal point of the offense anymore. We don't have to work around game manager Jimmy G's limitations anymore. Time to get this thing structured so we can air it out and take advantage of the pass happy rules of the current NFL. Basically, need to follow the Chiefs formula.

Beautifully put. I cannot have said it better. On point with every point.

This was Jimmy's offense or Kyle's innovation. That innovation is now outdated. We need to revamp since we have a QB now.
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
It's time to retool and perhaps even changing up the offense. We still run with CMC but we need to build a passing offense which means legit pass blocking. No free runners coming at Brock. Free runners at Brock is from our deceptive scheme of pulling one way and going the other. Sometimes defenders are not fooled or commit to the pulling linemen. If we're sticking to the same offense then the ball needs to come out quick. I believe KC had a designated player to commit to the QB regardless how the line pulls. Chiefs are too smart for that.

I rather have a traditional passing scheme under center. More timing routes and carve them up with the dink and dunks. It also allows for play action which we somehow abandoned from center.

If Kyle was truly a genius, he would have switched to a Patriots style offense a long time ago.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Just had a long conversation with my buddy whose knowledge of the game I really admire. We were talking QBs and basically talked about many in the game today. He's a Skins fan who I met back when RG3 was a rookie and he was the first to tell me Kyle was a genius.

He categorized Purdy as a very good processor, very resilient, instinctive, with some wiggle (to be defined shortly), gunslinger, a very good QB. What he lacks is ability to put velocity on throws, which takes away certain routes (skinny posts, arrow routes). Arm strength and velocity aren't the same things.....Montana didn't have arm strength but he had velocity. So if you take away his anticipation strength, it makes it harder for him to complete tight window throws.

Wiggle is how he defines a QB's ability to be able to throw off platform when the pocket is collapsing or defender forces him off his mark. Not every QB has wiggle.....Cousins, Goff, no wiggle. They'll throw the ball away and live another down. Tua he said has no wiggle, but a good amount of that might be the concussion protection aspect.

Stafford, not much wiggle but great arm talent that can get him out of trouble. Plus it seems Stafford can improvise a bit better and make a play off schedule a bit more.

It's interesting he felt Cousins is a great processor of information and would play more to Kyle's system than even Purdy, but with a better arm.......just no wiggle to get him out of trouble. This would explain why Kyle loves Cousins so much, because he'd be the ultimate plug and play robot. He joked that he thinks Cousins will be the next Niner QB eventually.

I'm not totally sure I'm sold on Cousins being more resilient than Purdy, and that's really more watching Cousins' career than anyone else. Now, the $64,000 question is Cousins in this offense with this team......but it ignores the fact the OL still is mediocre, so nothing is fallible.

It was an interesting conversation because it's all analytical non homer talk. I don't always agree with everything, but a lot of stuff I do. He felt anyone else playing QB on the Chiefs last night and the Niners win the Super Bowl.....felt that Mahomes truly is that special to pull s**t out that nobody else in the league can do right now.

So it was definitely a painful stinging loss in his words, but at the same time, it was just a really tough opponent.

Based on everything we know, I feel good about Purdy, but at the same time Kyle absolutely has to build around his strengths and make sure to minimize his weaknesses the best way possible. Middlekauff was saying that Kyle should have Purdy bootleg more often......just because. Like it would add an element to the offense that would take advantage of his mobility in a more structured way.

All that to say if we had eliminated either of the two turnovers, we win?

I think so. Against Mahomes, you need one more possession than he has if you want to win.
kyle needs a offensive cordinator. He is a choke artist when it really comes down to the wire. He also needs to get an oline. This year's draft is crucial. But seriously i have a hard time trusting anything kyle does. Purdy played well, but the negligence on the oline doomed us again.
Originally posted by 9ersguy:
kyle needs a offensive cordinator. He is a choke artist when it really comes down to the wire. He also needs to get an oline. This year's draft is crucial. But seriously i have a hard time trusting anything kyle does. Purdy played well, but the negligence on the oline doomed us again.

Kyles only skill is his play calling. Take that away and he brings little else to the table.
Soon as the game was over this was my thought.

Originally posted by dj43:
All that to say if we had eliminated either of the two turnovers, we win?

I think so. Against Mahomes, you need one more possession than he has if you want to win.

Yes, we could've won yesterday.

The reality is the team still needs to mature some to truly win the games they need to.

I guess the comebacks in the playoffs were a good stepping stone. If they can beat the Chiefs in the regular season this year, maybe they'll be ready for the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by Jcool:

Kyles only skill is his play calling. Take that away and he brings little else to the table.

Come on man....this is too much.

If that was truly his only skill, he's gotta be the GOAT play caller getting non elite QBs to the Super Bowl time and time again....

The true KS takes will eventually come out.

My biggest critique of Kyle (and I defend him a ton) is the negligence of a strong OL. That's on Kyle the GM....

But once the roster is set I won't harp on it, since there's not much you can do. Now with respect to the Super Bowl, line protection coaching oughta be improved.....and you hope we can false start a lot f**king less in the years to come.

And against a really elite defense, Purdy's arm talent gets put under the microscope that much more. It's good enough to get the job done, but not so amazing where one has more slack when needed.

To be able to take the top off a defense would be nice to create more throwing room all over the field. We might need to invest in WRs that can get it done in that fashion.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Come on man....this is too much.

If that was truly his only skill, he's gotta be the GOAT play caller getting non elite QBs to the Super Bowl time and time again....

The true KS takes will eventually come out.

Wasn't that the big fight all year. 49ers fans were like he isn't just a game manager and most outsiders were like Shanahan can make any QB look good.
My biggest critique of Kyle (and I defend him a ton) is the negligence of a strong OL. That's on Kyle the GM....

But once the roster is set I won't harp on it, since there's not much you can do. Now with respect to the Super Bowl, line protection coaching oughta be improved.....and you hope we can false start a lot f**king less in the years to come.

And against a really elite defense, Purdy's arm talent gets put under the microscope that much more. It's good enough to get the job done, but not so amazing where one has more slack when needed.

To be able to take the top off a defense would be nice to create more throwing room all over the field. We might need to invest in WRs that can get it done in that fashion.

I don't think we have an issue throwing the ball all over the field. We did that all year. This game, we didn't have time for any of that.

Your biggest critique is the biggest problem. You would think that a team that believes in winning in the trenches on defense would be smart enough to realize we have to prevent the other team from winning on said trenches.

Yet we spent 0 draft capital worth anything along the offensive line last year.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Eddie_D:

If Kyle was truly a genius, he would have switched to a Patriots style offense a long time ago.

Thst offense got BB fired once Brady left town.
Share 49ersWebzone