There are 157 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
My parting thoughts on the matter til I checkout completely til week 1 of next season:

The offense needs to be redesigned to run through Purdy. He has shown to be good enough to be considered a top 5 QB. Keep CMC as he is the obvious best RB in football and multifaceted in his skillset. But we need to offload Deebo. Trade him for what we can get for him in draft compensation and/or a good OL player. Replace him in the draft or FA with a more traditional receiver that can complement BA with good route running and ability to get separation from sticky coverage.

Kittle is overrated as a pass catcher and doesn't have championship DNA. Keep him since he still is a top TE, but feature him less as a weapon since he doesn't show up in big games anyway. His role moving forward will be as a run blocker since that is what he is best at. Maybe draft a more prototypical pass catching TE in the next draft or 2.

BA stays, he has the best chemistry from Brock and has number 1 potential if he continues to improve. JJ can stay too for the right price, he comes up clutch consistently, but again we need to add to the WR room another good route runner with separation potential. Our current WR room is built around Jimmy G, and Brock is capable of achieving more with a WR core that can threaten outside and deep.

OL composition needs a shift in philosophy as well. More emphasis on linemen that excel at pass pro over run blocking. By all means keep the Shanahan zone runs scheme in place, but it need not be the focal point of the offense anymore. We don't have to work around game manager Jimmy G's limitations anymore. Time to get this thing structured so we can air it out and take advantage of the pass happy rules of the current NFL. Basically, need to follow the Chiefs formula.

Funny you would say this when so many fans were saying Kyle needs to run more. Unfortunately there aren't many O linemen that excel at both pass protection and run blocking. As far as throwing more the Niners gained more yards passing than the Chiefs this season. They gained 200 yards more and average about 2.5 yards more per attempt. The Chiefs DBs just blanketed our WRs and made it hard to get pen and get any YAC.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1aoxe0q/brock_purdy_lost_in_his_super_bowl_debut_no_qb/?rdt=36146

Brock Purdy lost in his Super Bowl debut; no QB who lost in his Super Bowl debut has returned to the game in the 21st Century. John Elway is the last QB to eventually win a Super Bowl despite losing in his debut

thoughts?
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1aoxe0q/brock_purdy_lost_in_his_super_bowl_debut_no_qb/?rdt=36146

Brock Purdy lost in his Super Bowl debut; no QB who lost in his Super Bowl debut has returned to the game in the 21st Century. John Elway is the last QB to eventually win a Super Bowl despite losing in his debut

thoughts?

My thoughts are everything in life doesn't happen until it does
I know this has been discussed at length, but could someone please remind me when he's be eligible for an extension?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BYisGod:
I know this has been discussed at length, but could someone please remind me when he's be eligible for an extension?

2025 season
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
So proud of this dude. Obviously the franchise QB. And always steps up in the biggest moments.

Shanahan + Purdy is one of the best combos in the NFL. We are set for the next decade.
Kyle and Lynch did him no favours by neglecting the OL. . you'd think they would have learned after what happened last time we played them In the super bowl.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

thoughts?

My thoughts are everything in life doesn't happen until it does

Yeah this is a meaningless stat. It really doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, which is that it's hard to get to the Super Bowl.

Purdy is one of multiple QBs that I think can or will be the next ones to do it. Obviously rooting for Purdy above them all, but Burrow and Goff have a chance too. Small chance for Hurts too.. if tush push isn't banned..
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Just had a long conversation with my buddy whose knowledge of the game I really admire. We were talking QBs and basically talked about many in the game today. He's a Skins fan who I met back when RG3 was a rookie and he was the first to tell me Kyle was a genius.

He categorized Purdy as a very good processor, very resilient, instinctive, with some wiggle (to be defined shortly), gunslinger, a very good QB. What he lacks is ability to put velocity on throws, which takes away certain routes (skinny posts, arrow routes). Arm strength and velocity aren't the same things.....Montana didn't have arm strength but he had velocity. So if you take away his anticipation strength, it makes it harder for him to complete tight window throws.

Wiggle is how he defines a QB's ability to be able to throw off platform when the pocket is collapsing or defender forces him off his mark. Not every QB has wiggle.....Cousins, Goff, no wiggle. They'll throw the ball away and live another down. Tua he said has no wiggle, but a good amount of that might be the concussion protection aspect.

Stafford, not much wiggle but great arm talent that can get him out of trouble. Plus it seems Stafford can improvise a bit better and make a play off schedule a bit more.

It's interesting he felt Cousins is a great processor of information and would play more to Kyle's system than even Purdy, but with a better arm.......just no wiggle to get him out of trouble. This would explain why Kyle loves Cousins so much, because he'd be the ultimate plug and play robot. He joked that he thinks Cousins will be the next Niner QB eventually.

I'm not totally sure I'm sold on Cousins being more resilient than Purdy, and that's really more watching Cousins' career than anyone else. Now, the $64,000 question is Cousins in this offense with this team......but it ignores the fact the OL still is mediocre, so nothing is fallible.

It was an interesting conversation because it's all analytical non homer talk. I don't always agree with everything, but a lot of stuff I do. He felt anyone else playing QB on the Chiefs last night and the Niners win the Super Bowl.....felt that Mahomes truly is that special to pull s**t out that nobody else in the league can do right now.

So it was definitely a painful stinging loss in his words, but at the same time, it was just a really tough opponent.

Based on everything we know, I feel good about Purdy, but at the same time Kyle absolutely has to build around his strengths and make sure to minimize his weaknesses the best way possible. Middlekauff was saying that Kyle should have Purdy bootleg more often......just because. Like it would add an element to the offense that would take advantage of his mobility in a more structured way.

Cousins isn't happening in a million years. This playoff run ended any slim possibility of that.
OMG....

I just re-watched highlights of both of the crucial 3rd downs. Sick to my stomach that Purdy misread this and did not execute.

3rd and 5 at the 24 yard line with 2 minutes left... The pass to Deebo when there was a corner blitz... He MISSED a hot route to Aiyuk for a quick slant... EASY 1st down!!! But Purdy was staring down Deebo the whole time.

3rd and 4 on the 9 yard line in OT... The pass to Jennings when Chris Jones runs free... He MISSED a quick hitch route to KITTLE for an EASY 5 yards. It was on the same side as he was throwing the ball so no excuse about getting Chris Jones in his face.

Hate to say it... But Purdy folded under pressure... He HAD 2 chances to ICE this game and win it.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

thoughts?

My thoughts are, history repeating itself is b******t, especially when Roger Goodell is the puppet of the NFL and Bill Vinovich is his butt buddy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Eli_23:
OMG....

I just re-watched highlights of both of the crucial 3rd downs. Sick to my stomach that Purdy misread this and did not execute.

3rd and 5 at the 24 yard line with 2 minutes left... The pass to Deebo when there was a corner blitz... He MISSED a hot route to Aiyuk for a quick slant... EASY 1st down!!! But Purdy was staring down Deebo the whole time.

3rd and 4 on the 9 yard line in OT... The pass to Jennings when Chris Jones runs free... He MISSED a quick hitch route to KITTLE for an EASY 5 yards. It was on the same side as he was throwing the ball so no excuse about getting Chris Jones in his face.

Hate to say it... But Purdy folded under pressure... He HAD 2 chances to ICE this game and win it.

Or there was just pressure forcing him to throw the pass earlier than he wanted to. In the end so what he made mistakes, so did Mahomes and both QB's had their teams in position to win the game.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eli_23:
OMG....

Tell me you don't know s**t about football without telling me you don't know s**t about football.
[ Edited by Koldo on Feb 13, 2024 at 9:51 AM ]
"Jimmy G outplayed Purdy in the Playoffs. Purdy is why they lost."

Some MEATHEAD on Twitter.

Not kidding at all.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
"Jimmy G outplayed Purdy in the Playoffs. Purdy is why they lost."

Some MEATHEAD on Twitter.

Not kidding at all.

There is literally no statistical analysis, box score analysis, results analysis, or tape analysis that backs this statement up. At all. Not even close.

Jimmy G and Purdy's playoff stats are hilariously night and day.

I love Jimmy for what he did for us but he was awful in the playoffs. Absolute miracle we won four playoff games with him. He was a net negative in five out of six of his playoff games and threw eight passes in the one where he wasn't. Purdy was a net positive in all his playoff games except the Eagles game last year where he threw four total passes.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Feb 13, 2024 at 9:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone