There are 170 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Realistically this was the best roster this regime may ever have.
Next year should be very good but it depends on free angency and draft.

If they roll out the same o line I don't expect anything good in the end.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

If we can hit on a couple draft picks hopefully OL and get HuF and Greenlaw back healthy we should be good again. NFC doesn't have a murderous row of qbs
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Best rosters of an era for a team don't always win the SB as we just saw. Also see 1987 49ers vs. 1988 49ers.
Originally posted by captveg:
Best rosters of an era for a team don't always win the SB as we just saw. Also see 1987 49ers vs. 1988 49ers.

Best Patriot team of the dynasty didnt win. Beaten by the same DC who has beaten Kyle twice now.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
If Purdy is the real deal, I think he is and still will get better, we will be contenders for a while. The roster around him will change though throughout his career.
A little more insight into what Spags told Breer about Purdy.

Past coach -"you can tell Kyle loves Brock by the way he calls plays for him"

Kyle confirms "yes that's true. I call plays differently for him".

Where as with Trey... puts his QB in harms way, then pretends to be all devastated and surprised his 1st Pick is injured for the season.

That same year Kyle told Jed, he sees their last pick in the draft, Brock starting eventually.

Well yeah, when you speed up the process getting your young QB injured running him on 2nd and 8 on the second series of the game...early in the season.

I don't put it past Kyle.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 13, 2024 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Where as with Trey... puts his QB in harms way, then pretends to be all devastated and surprised his 1st Pick is injured for the season.

That same year Kyle told Jed, he sees their last pick in the draft, Brock starting eventually.

Well yeah, when you speed up the process getting your young QB injured running him on 2nd and 8 on the second series of the game...early in the season.

They literally ran the NDSU offense for Trey and he still struggled. . I watch probably more NDSU games here than anyone else and that was their offense, Trey being used as an oversized fullback on running plays with a ton of playaction and everything centered around the run game. I think they liked his physical talent, the game film showed a lot of potential and they drafted him, brought him into the building, tried to develop him and eventually came to the conclusion that they needed to cut their losses because he just wasn't that dude.
Originally posted by pd24:
If Purdy is the real deal, I think he is and still will get better, we will be contenders for a while. The roster around him will change though throughout his career.

I don't think Purdy will ever be the type of generational QB that can carry your team no matter what, but it's pretty obvious you can win with him as long as you have a decent team around him. The question will be what kind of contract is he expecting when he's due. I hope he's not asking for a QB market resetting contract, if he does I don't blame him though. If you have above average QBs getting paid huge contracts, and he's definitely not just an above average QB.

I've seen enough to know that he's not just some flash in the pan QB, can he be a top 3 QB consistently no matter what the talent is? Idk...(we won't know until 2025 when we lose a lot of good players) Is he at least a good QB no matter what the talent is, I would say yes. Because of that, I'm hoping the niners give him a very long term deal 7-10 years, that will help with the cap and we can always restructure his contract as seen fit over the years.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I don't think Purdy will ever be the type of generational QB that can carry your team no matter what, but it's pretty obvious you can win with him as long as you have a decent team around him. The question will be what kind of contract is he expecting when he's due. I hope he's not asking for a QB market resetting contract, if he does I don't blame him though. If you have above average QBs getting paid huge contracts, and he's definitely not just an above average QB.

I've seen enough to know that he's not just some flash in the pan QB, can he be a top 3 QB consistently no matter what the talent is? Idk...(we won't know until 2025 when we lose a lot of good players) Is he at least a good QB no matter what the talent is, I would say yes. Because of that, I'm hoping the niners give him a very long term deal 7-10 years, that will help with the cap and we can always restructure his contract as seen fit over the years.

I think that mostly depends on him. For all the Brees comparisons, Brees was a maniac when it came to putting work in during the offseason. He was working with passing coaches and constantly improving his mechanics back when that was far less common of a thing for QB's to do.

Purdy will never have the advantage of having an ultra powerful arm that can bail him out of trouble so he's just going to have to keep upgrading everything else, studying film like a fiend, continuing to improve his footwork and trying to maximize every last bit of velocity from his arm. Eventually things should start to really slow down for him where he's seen every defensive look and he knows exactly where his receivers are at all times, he'll understand how to make all the appropriate checks at the line and better anticipate where blitzes are coming from but that stuff takes time and a lot of work so we'll see how it goes.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think that mostly depends on him. For all the Brees comparisons, Brees was a maniac when it came to putting work in during the offseason. He was working with passing coaches and constantly improving his mechanics back when that was far less common of a thing for QB's to do.

Purdy will never have the advantage of having an ultra powerful arm that can bail him out of trouble so he's just going to have to keep upgrading everything else, studying film like a fiend, continuing to improve his footwork and trying to maximize every last bit of velocity from his arm. Eventually things should start to really slow down for him where he's seen every defensive look and he knows exactly where his receivers are at all times, he'll understand how to make all the appropriate checks at the line and better anticipate where blitzes are coming from but that stuff takes time and a lot of work so we'll see how it goes.

Yup.

He has never had a NFL offseason to improve his game. He has that this offseason and he should take another step next season.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

Agree, I think he can be a top 5 QB. I think he will still improve and that will offset some of the talent leaving, so would fixing the O line so he has some more time to throw.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

So it had to do with Kyle trying to be successful with Trey?
Anyone could see that Trey was struggling to get through progressions and deliver an accurate ball. So im assuming while trying to develope trey as a passer, he was also going to tailor the offense to make it successful under trey, and that is to run the ball.
As for purdy, as steve young says, he is an elite processor of the game and he is accurate. Kyle gets to go back to his system with Purdy.

Ya that's how we can be and stay great, that extra work ethic is going to be key.

Not a lot of people remember how inexperienced Brock is. Obviously lot of college snaps, and that experience helped last year, but so much of what he's seeing in the NFL, he's seeing for the first time. So of course he's not going to be perfect. What 2nd year NFL is perfect?

When QBs start rolling that experience and building upon it, is when the greats really start to shine. I see Brock getting there because he's already so good, and the things he's good at are things that make great QBs great. It's the mental side of the game that's his biggest strength. I think he going to have a HOF caliber career. That just seems like the most likely trajectory given his age, early accomplishments, and cerebral ability.
Share 49ersWebzone