There are 285 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did Brock miss this one?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Did Brock miss this one?

Absolutely. His biggest mistake of the game.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Past coach -"you can tell Kyle loves Brock by the way he calls plays for him"

Kyle confirms "yes that's true. I call plays differently for him".

Where as with Trey... puts his QB in harms way, then pretends to be all devastated and surprised his 1st Pick is injured for the season.

That same year Kyle told Jed, he sees their last pick in the draft, Brock starting eventually.

Well yeah, when you speed up the process getting your young QB injured running him on 2nd and 8 on the second series of the game...early in the season.

I don't put it past Kyle.

They literally ran the NDSU offense for Trey and he still struggled. . I watch probably more NDSU games here than anyone else and that was their offense, Trey being used as an oversized fullback on running plays with a ton of playaction and everything centered around the run game. I think they liked his physical talent, the game film showed a lot of potential and they drafted him, brought him into the building, tried to develop him and eventually came to the conclusion that they needed to cut their losses because he just wasn't that dude.

This. Lance was not the guy, and they knew it once Purdy started playing. In hindsight, I see why now. At the time, I was all about Lance as our FQB, but the truth is he was never going to put it all together here. He was very inconsistent and struggled to do the simple things needed to be an NFL QB, and that was the worst thing a Super Bowl ready team could have at the QB position. Purdy was miles ahead of him right out the gate, and he could play the position at a really high level, so he was exactly who we needed.

Honestly, Lance should have stayed in school. He was already raw going into college, so he needed all of the reps he could get. The pandemic was probably the worst thing that could have happened to his pre-NFL development. Now, with what happened to him here and where he is at now, he is looking at being a career backup at best.
watching JTO breakdown Purdy
Originally posted by Chance:
Did Brock miss this one?

This is the only play that I am going to give Purdy crap for. He missed this read, and it happened at a critical moment.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I don't think Purdy will ever be the type of generational QB that can carry your team no matter what, but it's pretty obvious you can win with him as long as you have a decent team around him. The question will be what kind of contract is he expecting when he's due. I hope he's not asking for a QB market resetting contract, if he does I don't blame him though. If you have above average QBs getting paid huge contracts, and he's definitely not just an above average QB.

I've seen enough to know that he's not just some flash in the pan QB, can he be a top 3 QB consistently no matter what the talent is? Idk...(we won't know until 2025 when we lose a lot of good players) Is he at least a good QB no matter what the talent is, I would say yes. Because of that, I'm hoping the niners give him a very long term deal 7-10 years, that will help with the cap and we can always restructure his contract as seen fit over the years.

I think that mostly depends on him. For all the Brees comparisons, Brees was a maniac when it came to putting work in during the offseason. He was working with passing coaches and constantly improving his mechanics back when that was far less common of a thing for QB's to do.

Purdy will never have the advantage of having an ultra powerful arm that can bail him out of trouble so he's just going to have to keep upgrading everything else, studying film like a fiend, continuing to improve his footwork and trying to maximize every last bit of velocity from his arm. Eventually things should start to really slow down for him where he's seen every defensive look and he knows exactly where his receivers are at all times, he'll understand how to make all the appropriate checks at the line and better anticipate where blitzes are coming from but that stuff takes time and a lot of work so we'll see how it goes.

I am really excited that Purdy is going to have an offseason where he can actually work on his game. He couldnt do that last season for obvious reasons. But this season should be different, and it will be interesting to see how he spends his offseason. I imagine he is going to grind hard.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Did Brock miss this one?

This is the only play that I am going to give Purdy crap for. He missed this read, and it happened at a critical moment.

We had a lot of misses by many players at critical points. Trent Williams cost us points. WTH would have guessed that one.
I noticed we don't do well with well timed and delayed blitzes. Purdy will master that in time imo.
Did Brock miss this one?

Yep even CMC had a bad fumble. Their stars contributed but it's mostly a bad o line and coaching decisions.

Where as with Trey... puts his QB in harms way, then pretends to be all devastated and surprised his 1st Pick is injured for the season.

That same year Kyle told Jed, he sees their last pick in the draft, Brock starting eventually.

Well yeah, when you speed up the process getting your young QB injured running him on 2nd and 8 on the second series of the game...early in the season.

They literally ran the NDSU offense for Trey and he still struggled. . I watch probably more NDSU games here than anyone else and that was their offense, Trey being used as an oversized fullback on running plays with a ton of playaction and everything centered around the run game. I think they liked his physical talent, the game film showed a lot of potential and they drafted him, brought him into the building, tried to develop him and eventually came to the conclusion that they needed to cut their losses because he just wasn't that dude.

What in the hell are you talking about?

That was the NDSU offense vs the Texans? When we needed a win to keep our playoff hopes alive? No, that was Kyle's offense.

I'm just talking about protecting your young inexperienced QB... your expensive investment. It's common sense. If he's not ready, then don't start him. Call your offense... if he can't do it, you sit him and develop him some more. Worse case scenario, he's your backup in the Eagles Title game, if needed.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 13, 2024 at 7:27 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran

That was the NDSU offense vs the Texans? When we needed a win to keep our playoff hopes alive? No, that was Kyle's offense.

I'm just talking about protecting your young inexperienced QB... your expensive investment. It's common sense. If he's not ready, then don't start him. Call your offense... if he can't do it, you sit him and develop him some more. Worse case scenario, he's your backup in the Eagles Title game, if needed.

Kyle should have protected Trey like the Cowboys did by making him QB3 and not active on game days

f**k Lance, Purdy is the man. This dude picked up blitzes that Lamar, Allen, tua and everyone else was getting smoked by in the playoffs. He has not had a full, healthy offseason as the starter. He will this year. He is hungry and he gets better everytime he touches the field. I fully expect a Super Bowl and an MVP from Brock next year while that bum rots on Dallas' bench til his contract is up and he gets to go work at subway

In the first half it was, 2nd was was more pro style. But yes, overall we did have a run first offense. Wasn't it the Cardinals game were we ran him up the middle about a dozen times?

He wasn't ready, which is fair. He might still go on to have a good career but it just wasn't going to be here.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Feb 13, 2024 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Did Brock miss this one?

Yep even CMC had a bad fumble. Their stars contributed but it's mostly a bad o line and coaching decisions.

Its hard to watch. Brock should have seen it. A connection there and were looking at a game winning kick near end of regulation with no time outs for KC. Granted Moody had to make it but the play was there. I admittedly was yelling for Kyle to run on 3 rd down there but damn, a game changing play was open.
Originally posted by facestabber:
Its hard to watch. Brock should have seen it. A connection there and were looking at a game winning kick near end of regulation with no time outs for KC. Granted Moody had to make it but the play was there. I admittedly was yelling for Kyle to run on 3 rd down there but damn, a game changing play was open.

Gonna be the one that haunts him I bet. Take it and learn from it.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by facestabber:

Gonna be the one that haunts him I bet. Take it and learn from it.

Also the final OT play he is on the ground and he seems to say, lip reading, that he had em. He knows JJ was open. The protection was trash. It's always somethin round here..
Share 49ersWebzone