There are 311 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Season didn't end how any of us wanted it to but I'm really excited to follow Brock this off season and see him blossom even more. He's still so young with so much more growth coming. I'm really excited to see what he does, and how much he grows, in his first real off season.
Think Brock played pretty well. I know there are some plays he wished he had back. On that 3rd and 4th at the end of 4th. He had CMC open to his right. I was listening to NFL radio this morning and they said on a three step drop he's supposed to throw away from the blitz not into it like he did. On the NFL films you can hear Kyle saying Christian Christian
Brock will have a healthy off season to work on his game. One thing about him is that he already plays at a high level. It's not like he needs more snaps. He can work with receivers and review film of defenses that show a lot of different looks. I don't think there needs to be dramatic improvement. Just some teaks and refinements. Things like learning when to throw the ball away instead of trying to make a play. Better to have an incomplete pass than a 5 yard loss.
Now he can really settle into the job, proved he won't melt under the bright lights.
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Now he can really settle into the job, proved he won't melt under the bright lights.

I thought brock handled the game really well. he wasn't perfect, but excellent for a second year QB under the pressure he was in - especially against a top defense.

I'm very bullish on his future.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Feb 14, 2024 at 9:03 AM ]
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I hope he takes a break for a month at least if not two.
Just go visit other states or countries and forget Football. Enjoy your life with your future wife.
The guy has been non stop since his injury last year essentially with the stress for his surgery and his rehab.
Every week this season has been about "Is he good enough? He's a product of the system. How does it look when he will sign his big contract?".
The pressure was on him every time as if he was a number one overall pick despite the fact that he's the ultimate underdog.
And finally on the big stage, he wasn't perfect, he missed crucial throws but he's not the one that was carried by the others. Quite the contrary actually.
I'm fine with Purdy. He wasn't the reason the 49ers lost by a long shot. He may not be a top 5 QB as far as elite traits go but he's certainly a good fit for this system and has many good non athletic traits that can't be measured. If the Niners can upgrade the O line then he should be even better next season
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm fine with Purdy. He wasn't the reason the 49ers lost by a long shot. He may not be a top 5 QB as far as elite traits go but he's certainly a good fit for this system and has many good non athletic traits that can't be measured. If the Niners can upgrade the O line then he should be even better next season

I think he can be top 5. He is near there already imo, but he is a classic pocket passer by nature and needs the proper o line to synergize that. I am also half wrong because he can scramble very well, but it is his last resort.

Maybe take a page out of Reids book and get him an awesome center and two guards so we know pressure up the middle will be minimized (which kills ANY qb) and let lesser tackles hold while he can slide out of the pocket lol
Originally posted by pdc20:
I hope he takes a break for a month at least if not two.
Just go visit other states or countries and forget Football. Enjoy your life with your future wife.
The guy has been non stop since his injury last year essentially with the stress for his surgery and his rehab.
Every week this season has been about "Is he good enough? He's a product of the system. How does it look when he will sign his big contract?".
The pressure was on him every time as if he was a number one overall pick despite the fact that he's the ultimate underdog.
And finally on the big stage, he wasn't perfect, he missed crucial throws but he's not the one that was carried by the others. Quite the contrary actually.

F that I want him like Rocky in russia this offseason. Women weaken legs!
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I think he can be top 5. He is near there already imo, but he is a classic pocket passer by nature and needs the proper o line to synergize that. I am also half wrong because he can scramble very well, but it is his last resort.

Maybe take a page out of Reids book and get him an awesome center and two guards so we know pressure up the middle will be minimized (which kills ANY qb) and let lesser tackles hold while he can slide out of the pocket lol

I'm talking about athletic traits. He's not top 5 there. He may be top 5 as far as results and that's what counts. He just isn't the type of QB that you can expect to do magical things on the field. That doesn't mean he can't hit a deep pass or make an occasional run like he did against the Lions but it isn't his game. Mahomes, Allen and Jackson are the types that are opposite of Purdy. They can have a bad game and then suddenly flip the switch and make some miraculous play because of their arm or speed.

Brock is more of the steady type that fits well in Kyle's system. He is more like Montana than Young.

If only he hit Aiyuk on the hot route quick slant. IF ONLY.
Originally posted by Eli_23:

Close games sometimes can come down to one play.
Can't argue with everything said on this page. So excited for Brock for next season.
Originally posted by Eli_23:

Yea it was rough. It was a well timed blitz though and not at all shocking that a 2nd year guy struggled with it. He's really advanced in the mental game for his experience but he still has plenty of room to grow. Can't be anything but happy with him as an individual right now, even if our team was a play short of the big prize.

Let's watch and see if he can take the next steps
Share 49ersWebzone