There are 282 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chance:
4th quarter he missed what would be a game winning throw to Aiyuk. That first down would've iced the clock. I almost wonder if he hesitated because his angle wasn't great and he didn't want a ball batted down. Not sure why he didn't throw it immediately. Could just be he's still so young and that kind of muscle memory comes with more experience.

the last third down, however, was not on Brock. That's a play that needs a block so Brock can even get to his first read.

I feel like he didn't see him, didn't see the delayed blitz and was going with his presnap read, looking for Jennings to get open.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
4th quarter he missed what would be a game winning throw to Aiyuk. That first down would've iced the clock. I almost wonder if he hesitated because his angle wasn't great and he didn't want a ball batted down. Not sure why he didn't throw it immediately. Could just be he's still so young and that kind of muscle memory comes with more experience.

the last third down, however, was not on Brock. That's a play that needs a block so Brock can even get to his first read.

I feel like he didn't see him, didn't see the delayed blitz and was going with his presnap read, looking for Jennings to get open.

lack of experience and the chiefs calling plays that countered our tendencies. Outplayed and outcoached imo.

Purdy will be better for it.
Lighten up on Brock. Mahomes has been in the league since 2018. Six years. Brock has been in the league eighteen months. Has taken his team to two NFCCG (Mahomes certainly didn't do that).Was on the cusp of winning a Super Bowl last Sunday. His head coach needs to come up with some plays to counter guys like Spags. If he doesn't, he'll be getting the same results he's been getting (and that's called "insanity").
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Lighten up on Brock. Mahomes has been in the league since 2018. Six years. Brock has been in the league eighteen months. Has taken his team to two NFCCG (Mahomes certainly didn't do that).Was on the cusp of winning a Super Bowl last Sunday. His head coach needs to come up with some plays to counter guys like Spags. If he doesn't, he'll be getting the same results he's been getting (and that's called "insanity").
more designed runs. Let them designate a spy. championship
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Call me naive but I can see Brock being the type of person/player to give us a discount when it's his time to get paid. And when I say discount I mean like 35-40$ Million per season. Not 50+ Million like people are suggesting.

I see that as well. He just gives me that kind of vibe - he understands what makes a team great and gives him the best chance to compete. I think teams will paying $60-$70M a year by the time he's up, so I'm hoping he takes like $50-$55M and gives us that extra money to help build around him. Especially since he will start making bank off the field.

Maybe he won't but he seems like he would, only time will tell.

He is going to get his money... with us.. or with someone else.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 15, 2024 at 3:50 PM ]
Purdy is our hope. I have zero concerns with him and I am excited to watch his career progress. We struck gold with this kid. He has that special undefined quality that makes him a winner. This kid is a exactly what we needed at qb. Smarter play calling and better coaching and he would have a title under his belt.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Ugh I've been avoiding all week peeling back the onion layers of this game. I'm like 110% sure Brock hits Jennings or Deebo for a TD if McK blocks for 1 sec against Jones. Brock saw it all the way. We go up 7 or 8 in OT.

I'm then 55% sure we stop the Chiefs from scoring a counter TD solely because the D will be fired up at that point. Tough to score a TD even for the Chiefs when the D knows what you must do. I know some of you will say the Chiefs scored a TD anyway. The Niners D wouldn't have been the same, the circumstances wouldn't have been the same, and the playcalls wouldn't have been the same.

If God or Satan offered me one play to take back from the SB which may or may not make the Niners win, I go
1) 3rd and 4 play in OT
2) Taking ball first in OT
3) Muffed punt
4) Not scoring after INT
5) CMC fumble
6) Greenlaw injury (may have been the edge the Chiefs needed to move the ball on us)

My gosh we gave that game to the Chiefs. Just handed it to them. How do you guys not think about the game and ignore the fans of other fanbase bashing us?
[ Edited by Silky on Feb 16, 2024 at 10:00 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

edit no he wasn't.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Feb 16, 2024 at 10:07 AM ]

Originally posted by Silky:
Ugh I've been avoiding all week peeling back the onion layers of this game. I'm like 110% sure Brock hits Jennings or Deebo for a TD if McK blocks for 1 sec against Jones. Brock saw it all the way. We go up 7 or 8 in OT.

I'm then 55% sure we stop the Chiefs from scoring a counter TD solely because the D will be fired up at that point. Tough to score a TD even for the Chiefs when the D knows what you must do. I know some of you will say the Chiefs scored a TD anyway. The Niners D wouldn't have been the same, the circumstances wouldn't have been the same, and the playcalls wouldn't have been the same.

If God or Satan offered me one play to take back from the SB which may or may not make the Niners win, I go
1) 3rd and 4 play in OT
3) Muffed punt
4) Not scoring after INT
5) CMC fumble
6) Greenlaw injury (may have been the edge the Chiefs needed to move the ball on us)

My gosh we gave that game to the Chiefs. Just handed it to them. How do you guys not think about the game and ignore the fans of other fanbase bashing us?

IMO the third down at the 2 minute warning was the key. we get that we can kill the clock and win on a field goal or td as we keep driving.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

1) 3rd and 4 play in OT
3) Muffed punt
4) Not scoring after INT
5) CMC fumble

IMO the third down at the 2 minute warning was the key. we get that we can kill the clock and win on a field goal or td as we keep driving.

Oof forgot about that one. That one opened up another injury. Just add that to the list. That's 7 key moments we gave to the Chiefs
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I just don't think hes a special quarterback.

Probably predicting a regression next year unfortunately.

Yeah they need a new offensive line on the right side, but I think Kyle and Lynch will draft an edge rusher in the 1st rd to replace Chase Young.

Drafting an edge rusher in the first would be in a word- stupid. That style isn't going to get it done.

Also, Brock is pretty lights out when protected. After the Chiefs got mauled by the Bucs, they built up that O-line. Brock did what he did with a bottom third O line in terms of pass pro. What would he do if our line was just average? Not great,not good,just average?

We've seen Tom Brady and Patrick Mahommes fold with the heat on them. Brock went to OT with an all time great QB. He's the least of my worries.

If an edge rusher is the best prospect in the draft board when it is our pick, then we get an edge rusher. It is not stupid.

You can always trade back. I can't see any edge rusher, short of someone with Dee Ford like speed, that can significantly change our team. We have had as good as it can possibly be on DL and can't close. I get there are other picks that can be used to address these other needs but in terms of helping the team, but I'd rather bolster OL and secondary. If you can't at pick 31 without reaching, trade back and pick up extra day 2 picks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Protect Purdy and we win. No doubt in my mind.

McKivitz allowed a free rusher at least twice, including the final play. Shoot, if he only chipped the guy, it would have been a TD.

You can get 5 Trent's, if we don't have a plan for a hot route, or don't have a plan on protection and who blocks who, you get unblocked guys and no answer. A lot of these routes are annoying in and out stuff that isn't a quick option. You are waiting on the route to unfold and getting smoked.

Feliciano makes the block Burford missed against Jones and we score a TD there, easy. JJs route was a blitz beater and he would have scored had Purdy has even a quarter second of protection against the free rush. This was a failure on a backup who had been a backup for a reason when an average guy like Feliciano replaced him. Burford s**t the bed. There's no other interpretation there. Backups make mistakes in high pressure situations, it's why they aren't starters.

He's not a backup. He rotates series with Feliciano every game.

Not lately. He's a backup and frankly, going forward I wouldn't even want him on the 46 man roster.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Still an MVP. Got beat up, pressured, hit, sacked, rushed, tracked down, etc.

Missed a few deep shots for TD's (as a result), had 3rd down passes knocked down, had a few accuracy issues, threw into double coverage, threw passes for 8 yard losses, etc. but in the end, played well enough to win under duress.

Don't forget how poorly QB's play under regular heat (e.g. Mahomes losses, 3 points in the first half, Brady, Stafford, etc.). Context.

ShanaLynch can make life a whole lot easier for him next year by prioritizing the OL with real talent and competition and adding more safe guards and easy hot routes and game plans that give him early easy passes to help him get into a rhythm.

So much of what Kyle wants to do depends on execution of the OL. I'd argue his offense might even be better if he had the All Pros on O line and average to above average skill position players. I'm not saying we should go in that direction fully, but if it's been blocked we'll, the plays Kyle draws up are typically there. It's why I said drafting edge rusher, even I'd that's BPA would be stupid. If our offense is going to evolve and we expect to continue to hold off the barbarians at the gate (Lions, Packers, NFC West foes, etc), we will have to build a fortress around Purdy.

It was actually Burford that missed that block.

Burford confirmed that he was responsible for the B-gap — the area between himself and McKivitz.

"I should have just played within the scheme," Burford said. "I played on instinct. It was my fault. I don't want anybody to put anything on Colton, whatever he has going on. Don't blame him."
Share 49ersWebzone