There are 270 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Silky:
Ugh I've been avoiding all week peeling back the onion layers of this game. I'm like 110% sure Brock hits Jennings or Deebo for a TD if McK blocks for 1 sec against Jones. Brock saw it all the way. We go up 7 or 8 in OT.

It was actually Burford that missed that block.

Burford confirmed that he was responsible for the B-gap — the area between himself and McKivitz.

"I should have just played within the scheme," Burford said. "I played on instinct. It was my fault. I don't want anybody to put anything on Colton, whatever he has going on. Don't blame him."

Ugh even worse. He sounds apologetic and therefore my hatred has turned to contrite
This is a huge year for Purdy. It will decide whether he gets 40 million/year or close to 60 million/year. Personally, I want the highest paid QB in the league to be a guy who makes everyone around him better. Who can come back and win games against top tier defenses. Who can make a few critical throws to win a SB game.

I don't want this team saddled with a huge deal for the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins. Even if we get a prime Stafford level type guy, who Purdy isn't close to yet, that would be enough to ensure we are yearly contenders.

No knock on him, but we keep getting these SB games where we don't have the better QB. And it's killed us in every single one. Especially SB 54. I want a game where we go in with the upper hand. It appears the better overall team is not winning these games. Atl>NE imo. But in the end, NE had the superior QB. It made a huge difference. SF>KC this year, maybe 2019. But it didn't matter.
[ Edited by 49ers9797 on Feb 16, 2024 at 8:15 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
This is a huge year for Purdy. It will decide whether he gets 40 million/year or close to 60 million/year. Personally, I want the highest paid QB in the league to be a guy who makes everyone around him better. Who can come back and win games against top tier defenses. Who can make a few critical throws to win a SB game.

I don't want this team saddled with a huge deal for the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins. Even if we get a prime Stafford level type guy, who Purdy isn't close to yet, that would be enough to ensure we are yearly contenders.

No knock on him, but we keep getting these SB games where we don't have the better QB. And it's killed us in every single one. Especially SB 54. I want a game where we go in with the upper hand. It appears the better overall team is not winning these games. Atl>NE imo. But in the end, NE had the superior QB. It made a huge difference. SF>KC this year, maybe 2019. But it didn't matter.

Mahomes is a generational talent that we passed on.. who did we draft that year? Exactly.. BUT the good news is Brock is the real deal. His future is bright. We should be set for many years. What we need is better coaching, (hc, dc and ST) and a stronger OL. We also need speed in the receivers. Danny Gray ain't it..

Yah Qb matters. It's a big deal
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Ugh I've been avoiding all week peeling back the onion layers of this game. I'm like 110% sure Brock hits Jennings or Deebo for a TD if McK blocks for 1 sec against Jones. Brock saw it all the way. We go up 7 or 8 in OT.

I'm then 55% sure we stop the Chiefs from scoring a counter TD solely because the D will be fired up at that point. Tough to score a TD even for the Chiefs when the D knows what you must do. I know some of you will say the Chiefs scored a TD anyway. The Niners D wouldn't have been the same, the circumstances wouldn't have been the same, and the playcalls wouldn't have been the same.

If God or Satan offered me one play to take back from the SB which may or may not make the Niners win, I go
1) 3rd and 4 play in OT
2) Taking ball first in OT
3) Muffed punt
4) Not scoring after INT
5) CMC fumble
6) Greenlaw injury (may have been the edge the Chiefs needed to move the ball on us)

My gosh we gave that game to the Chiefs. Just handed it to them. How do you guys not think about the game and ignore the fans of other fanbase bashing us?

IMO the third down at the 2 minute warning was the key. we get that we can kill the clock and win on a field goal or td as we keep driving.

Agree - run on send third and 4th if we had to and we win. Pass pass fail.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Yah Qb matters. It's a big deal

You guys would come after Tom Brady because he wasn't perfect against Spags and the Giants? The guy is a master at creating confusion and his defense blew up our OL, shutdown our run game, and clamped our receivers. One of the only bright spots was finding out we have a guy that can compete under those circumstances on the biggest stage and against top coordinators/defenses
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Feb 17, 2024 at 8:05 AM ]

You're not going to find a better QB than Mahomes. And this isn't always the case. Ask everyone who they think is better between Brady and Foles. Or Stafford and Burrow.

Point is, the team should be aggressive to get better this offseason, but finding a new QB ain't it. Not this time, at least. It was true when Alex Smith, Kaep and Jimmy G were our QB. But finding someone better than Purdy? That's going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Purdy led the league in passer rating over 16 games and came back to win two playoff games. He already has four playoff wins, went toe-to-toe with Mahomes on the biggest stage and he hasn't even been playing for a year and a half.

We're better off trying to upgrade the OL and get a DC that meshes better with Kyle. When you lose the Super Bowl in OT you shouldn't throw it all away.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Feb 17, 2024 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

You're not going to find a better QB than Mahomes. And this isn't always the case. Ask everyone who they think is better between Brady and Foles. Or Stafford and Burrow.

Point is, the team should be aggressive to get better this offseason, but finding a new QB ain't it. Not this time, at least. It was true when Alex Smith, Kaep and Jimmy G were our QB. But finding someone better than Purdy? That's going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

We're better off trying to upgrade the OL and get a DC that meshes better with Kyle. When you lose the Super Bowl in OT you shouldn't throw it all away.

We're better off not turning the ball over or killing a bunch of drives with penalties. We play clean and we win. If it were all about the QB GB would've owned us in the playoffs. Sometimes we needed luck like the blocked punt. This time KC was the lucky team with the ankle punt. That was the turning point of the game, and neither QB was on the field

What's crazy is they got the lucky breaks and Brock still took them to OT
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Feb 17, 2024 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by linkboy:

It was actually Burford that missed that block.

Burford confirmed that he was responsible for the B-gap — the area between himself and McKivitz.

"I should have just played within the scheme," Burford said. "I played on instinct. It was my fault. I don't want anybody to put anything on Colton, whatever he has going on. Don't blame him."

Ugh even worse. He sounds apologetic and therefore my hatred has turned to contrite
His instinct told him not to block the best DT in the league? LOL
  • bud49
  • Veteran
49ers mailbag: Will Brock Purdy be starting QB in 2024? Where does SF go from here? Why did Kyle Shanahan defer in overtime? Offensive line upgrades?

This was a title of an article I have seen. Why ask such a dumb question? I mean come on.

Brock improved significantly from first year to second year even though he spent most of his time rehabbing during the offseason. I believe his preparation during that time was mostly mental and oh boy, what a year he had. I'm so excited with what Purdy is going to bring in his third year with 💯 percent offseason and 100 💯 percent full go. But I also think everyone is going to make it tougher for Purdy and we should see some great quarterbacking from him whether it's coming from behind, shootout or close games.
RGIII keeping it real finally

"The list goes on and on of what Brock Purdy was able to accomplish, and it wasn't just the scheme," Griffin continued. "I've heard people say he's always throwing to wide-open people. Well, I think he was first in the NFL in tight-window throws. So if he's always throwing to wide-open people, why is he first in the NFL and tight-window throws, and that completion percentage?"

Griffin acknowledges that Patrick Mahomes is currently the best player in the game and believes the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback is the second-best ever, behind Tom Brady. But Purdy is fantastic for the 49ers and a significant improvement over Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I do think that Brock Purdy is a game changer," Griffin admits. "I do think that Brock Purdy is a creator because when I actually watch the tape and study him, I see how he's not just doing it with, hey, they schemed it open, throw it to the guy. He's manipulating the defense with his eyes. He's making plays with his feet inside and outside of the pocket. And to me, when I watch the tape, and I see the plays that he's making, he's a perfect match for Kyle Shanahan."

Griffin added, "Brock Purdy, for sure, he's one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and I stand ten toes down on that. And anyone who's kind of attaching things to his name that really shouldn't be attached to his name, I think they're just doing that for clicks."
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Brock improved significantly from first year to second year even though he spent most of his time rehabbing during the offseason. I believe his preparation during that time was mostly mental and oh boy, what a year he had. I'm so excited with what Purdy is going to bring in his third year with 💯 percent offseason and 100 💯 percent full go. But I also think everyone is going to make it tougher for Purdy and we should see some great quarterbacking from him whether it's coming from behind, shootout or close games.

he gets a normal offseason. thank god
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by 49erF90:

he gets a normal offseason. thank god

Yea if Brock upgrades his game ala Jalen Hurts in 2022 we'll be back in the SB. Obviously Hurts sucked this past season, but you can't deny how great he was in 22
Yea if Brock upgrades his game ala Jalen Hurts in 2022 we'll be back in the SB. Obviously Hurts sucked this past season, but you can't deny how great he was in 22

He was great because their run game was great. This year their run game fell off and his flaws were exposed. Brock has less of those flaws so he will be less dependent on a dominant run game.
Share 49ersWebzone