There are 171 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
I think they re-sign Brandon Allen to be #2, and either draft a guy late or bring in a UDFA to compete for #3 / Practice Squad.

Devin Leary Kentucky would get my vote
I think they re-sign Brandon Allen to be #2, and either draft a guy late or bring in a UDFA to compete for #3 / Practice Squad.

Makes sense to me.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Makes sense to me.

Yah I think this is what happens. Sam Darnold will get more than $5 mil so he's more than likely gone.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Makes sense to me.

Yah I think this is what happens. Sam Darnold will get more than $5 mil so he's more than likely gone.

In NFL, anything can happen. Purdy is our QB1 but he's also an injury away from another 49ers season's disaster. I'm not saying he's going to get hurt but we need a solid backup for this position so I don't mind investing for one at least like a Mullen type who is not as expensive as Darnold but a reliable backup. Neglecting this need we'll end up with another Josh Johnson.
Hope he takes a discount when the time comes with the understanding we need to pay other players.
Originally posted by krizay:

Devin Leary Kentucky would get my vote

Just looked up your boy and looks pretty good to me, good arm talent.
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
This is a huge year for Purdy. It will decide whether he gets 40 million/year or close to 60 million/year. Personally, I want the highest paid QB in the league to be a guy who makes everyone around him better. Who can come back and win games against top tier defenses. Who can make a few critical throws to win a SB game.

I don't want this team saddled with a huge deal for the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins. Even if we get a prime Stafford level type guy, who Purdy isn't close to yet, that would be enough to ensure we are yearly contenders.

No knock on him, but we keep getting these SB games where we don't have the better QB. And it's killed us in every single one. Especially SB 54. I want a game where we go in with the upper hand. It appears the better overall team is not winning these games. Atl>NE imo. But in the end, NE had the superior QB. It made a huge difference. SF>KC this year, maybe 2019. But it didn't matter.

Have you watched this guy? He's less than 2 years experience and has like four playoff wins, an NFC Championship crown, a franchise comeback against DET, and all of this on repaired throwing elbow that may have never come back to full strength or, at minimum, may have held him out for a large chunk of time this year.

I'm a critic and a cynic, BIG TIME.

And i can't find anything about purdy that hasn't left me utterly and profoundly impressed.

Rest assured, this guy has all it takes and is only gonna get better. Which is shocking because he already had the best statistical season of any 49er QB ever.
I think a lot of what helped me overcome the crushing heartbreak of the super bowl was knowing we have this dude under center.

I'm a HUGE Brock fan and I was even a Jimmy supporter. It took Purdy for me to realize how much Shanny didn't trust Jimmy, and how much he loves Purdy.

Granted, I still believe Shanny is always gonna be the critical problem, but still.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I think a lot of what helped me overcome the crushing heartbreak of the super bowl was knowing we have this dude under center.

I'm a HUGE Brock fan and I was even a Jimmy supporter. It took Purdy for me to realize how much Shanny didn't trust Jimmy, and how much he loves Purdy.

Granted, I still believe Shanny is always gonna be the critical problem, but still.

We just need to run into a weaker QB. If we had gone in 2022 we definitely beat the Bengals.
Gonna have his first off season to improve as a passer and focus on the 49ers (and the scheme).

I expect great things next yr

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Gonna have his first off season to improve as a passer and focus on the 49ers (and the scheme).

I expect great things next yr

Kyle will also have a full off season to 100% plan for Purdy and not worry about a backup with a different skill set to consider.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
This is a huge year for Purdy. It will decide whether he gets 40 million/year or close to 60 million/year. Personally, I want the highest paid QB in the league to be a guy who makes everyone around him better. Who can come back and win games against top tier defenses. Who can make a few critical throws to win a SB game.

I don't want this team saddled with a huge deal for the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins. Even if we get a prime Stafford level type guy, who Purdy isn't close to yet, that would be enough to ensure we are yearly contenders.

No knock on him, but we keep getting these SB games where we don't have the better QB. And it's killed us in every single one. Especially SB 54. I want a game where we go in with the upper hand. It appears the better overall team is not winning these games. Atl>NE imo. But in the end, NE had the superior QB. It made a huge difference. SF>KC this year, maybe 2019. But it didn't matter.

Have you watched this guy? He's less than 2 years experience and has like four playoff wins, an NFC Championship crown, a franchise comeback against DET, and all of this on repaired throwing elbow that may have never come back to full strength or, at minimum, may have held him out for a large chunk of time this year.

I'm a critic and a cynic, BIG TIME.

And i can't find anything about purdy that hasn't left me utterly and profoundly impressed.

Rest assured, this guy has all it takes and is only gonna get better. Which is shocking because he already had the best statistical season of any 49er QB ever.

Purdy played well in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl did very well. The Oline need to be upgraded, and this offseason it should be the top priority. Imagine Purdy with just a touch more time to throw... he find Aiyuk in the back of the end zone instead of a dlineman in his face on almost every play.
Originally posted by 49erF90:

Makes sense to me.

In NFL, anything can happen. Purdy is our QB1 but he's also an injury away from another 49ers season's disaster. I'm not saying he's going to get hurt but we need a solid backup for this position so I don't mind investing for one at least like a Mullen type who is not as expensive as Darnold but a reliable backup. Neglecting this need we'll end up with another Josh Johnson.

The cold fact is few if any team in the NFL are going to win a lot of games with a backupQB. That's the problem with this league. They pay the key players so much that it doesn't leave much for a decent backup. We have 3 types of QBs in the league.

The first are the elite guys that aren't going to leave their team. They get $40 million or more per year. Probably around 5 guys. Then we have all the other starters that move around occasionally from one team to another. All are somewhat capable but aren't considered great. The 3rd group are the backups. They often have nice 10 to 15 year careers moving from one team to another nearly every year. They get paid a couple million and do nothing but practice . They might get a dozen snaps a year unless the starter goes down. Then they're forced into a starters roll but nobody expects much from them.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49erF90:

Makes sense to me.

The cold fact is few if any team in the NFL are going to win a lot of games with a backupQB. That's the problem with this league. They pay the key players so much that it doesn't leave much for a decent backup. We have 3 types of QBs in the league.

The first are the elite guys that aren't going to leave their team. They get $40 million or more per year. Probably around 5 guys. Then we have all the other starters that move around occasionally from one team to another. All are somewhat capable but aren't considered great. The 3rd group are the backups. They often have nice 10 to 15 year careers moving from one team to another nearly every year. They get paid a couple million and do nothing but practice . They might get a dozen snaps a year unless the starter goes down. Then they're forced into a starters roll but nobody expects much from them.

To hear a lot of the media heads, that is not so with Kyle they think Kyle can just roll a ball out on the field and whoever is at the QB spot can win, with all the talent around the QB.
this is interesting. anybody watch?

Share 49ersWebzone