There are 180 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Brock shooting a tractor commercial in San Francisco Thursday. Make some wedding money

We know McKivitz isnt clearing any paths for him.
He's gonna have to keep evolving. Felt like by end of season, clubs just sit on our intermediate in breaking routes, cuz that's what we keep throwing.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He's gonna have to keep evolving. Felt like by end of season, clubs just sit on our intermediate in breaking routes, cuz that's what we keep throwing.

He wasn't playing as well individually for weeks. Still good, but not at the level we had seen prior. JTO (who you have cited previously) detailed this in his near weekly videos on the guy.

We'll see how he adjusts and whether he can continue to get better. No real reason to think he can't, but it's not a sure thing.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

He wasn't playing as well individually for weeks. Still good, but not at the level we had seen prior. JTO (who you have cited previously) detailed this in his near weekly videos on the guy.

We'll see how he adjusts and whether he can continue to get better. No real reason to think he can't, but it's not a sure thing.

I agree, but I also put some of that on the pressure. He wants to go deeper, but doesn't have the pocket or time to step into it a lot of the time.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I agree, but I also put some of that on the pressure. He wants to go deeper, but doesn't have the pocket or time to step into it a lot of the time.

We can definitely improve pass protection, and it's obviously possible that he was a little shellshocked under heavier rushes. There were still many plays he struggled with that were damn near routine at other points in the season.

he's a 2nd year player. There's going to be growing pains in there even though half the fanbase wanted to pretend he had a mastery of the offense.

Yeah I think Cosell also. I think a big challenge, in college you don't play 20 game seasons, and he had to go straight from rehab to prax field, into regular season, into postseason. So he was grinding for a longer stretch than ever before in his life. With a proper offseason, he can rest recharge and get some drill work with the private coaches. I want to see a different plan tho that uses more of the field, not just the same route over and over. Teams were kinda sitting on our heat maps toward the end. Part of that is he's gotta be able to make all the throws including downfield.
Yeah I think Cosell also. I think a big challenge, in college you don't play 20 game seasons, and he had to go straight from rehab to prax field, into regular season, into postseason. So he was grinding for a longer stretch than ever before in his life. With a proper offseason, he can rest recharge and get some drill work with the private coaches. I want to see a different plan tho that uses more of the field, not just the same route over and over. Teams were kinda sitting on our heat maps toward the end. Part of that is he's gotta be able to make all the throws including downfield.

Agreed.

As far as using the full field, he's limited in how he can attack certain areas of the field with his arm strength. Probably not something that can be consistently relied on moreso than as a changeup to the bread and butter routes he excels out. Start living on deep outs for example and defenders are going to sit on them just the same with disastrous results.

We can definitely improve pass protection, and it's obviously possible that he was a little shellshocked under heavier rushes. There were still many plays he struggled with that were damn near routine at other points in the season.

he's a 2nd year player. There's going to be growing pains in there even though half the fanbase wanted to pretend he had a mastery of the offense.

He is the least of my worries tbh, but if he were to regress we have to ask if Shanny is the problem.
He is the least of my worries tbh, but if he were to regress we have to ask if Shanny is the problem.

I am high on Brock but Kyle has been absolutely essential in his success. Brock is thriving in a playaction pass game where his receivers are finding openings at greater rates than every other team.

Kyle's dropback game is the weakness of his scheme. That said, still don't think we want Brock operating that way. He's not that kind of QB.

I am high on Brock but Kyle has been absolutely essential in his success. Brock is thriving in a playaction pass game where his receivers are finding openings at greater rates than every other team.

Kyle's dropback game is the weakness of his scheme. That said, still don't think we want Brock operating that way. He's not that kind of QB.

I think Brock can handle anything tbh. He is a natural pocket QB who can run as a last resort. Get him elite pass protection and he will make mince meat of the league. I agree Kyles scheme while mostly amazing has holes. Lets see if he continues to evolve since he has a QB who can do anything.

I think Brock can handle anything tbh. He is a natural pocket QB who can run as a last resort. Get him elite pass protection and he will make mince meat of the league. I agree Kyles scheme while mostly amazing has holes. Lets see if he continues to evolve since he has a QB who can do anything.

Pretty much every NFL QB looks great with elite pass protection. Getting it is easier said than done and usually teams find ways to apply pressure especially in the playoffs (where the teams and defenses are generally better). Rare to see QB's play from perfect pockets on their way to SB wins.

improving OL is one of our top needs regardless.

Pretty much every NFL QB looks great with elite pass protection. Getting it is easier said than done and usually teams find ways to apply pressure especially in the playoffs (where the teams and defenses are generally better). Rare to see QB's play from perfect pockets on their way to SB wins.

improving OL is one of our top needs regardless.

I agree, but perhaps I am biased as I think Purdy would put up historic number behind elite protection. I mean historic.

I just think out side Trent and our scheme the rest of the o line is pretty garbage. When you face Chris Jones he exposes it.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The SB window is always open with Purdy at QB.
I agree, but perhaps I am biased as I think Purdy would put up historic number behind elite protection. I mean historic.

I just think out side Trent and our scheme the rest of the o line is pretty garbage. When you face Chris Jones he exposes it.

The thing is it's unrealistic to expect a QB to be surrounded by elite talent in all supporting units in today's NFL. Our OL isn't elite in pass protection but it wasn't bad either, especially over the course of the season… and again you have the league's best run game, skill position group, and one of the most QB friendly schemes built around playaction. Those are key factors beyond his individual skill that allowed him to have the type of season he had… where he already put up near historic numbers in terms of efficiency. I personally think those numbers skewed opinions of him in this fanbase to a degree. He's a good QB. Especially advanced in his ability to run the offense with such little NFL experience. Great poise. Enough athletic ability and feel to make occasional plays out of structure.

The thing is it's unrealistic to expect a QB to be surrounded by elite talent in all supporting units in today's NFL. Our OL isn't elite in pass protection but it wasn't bad either, especially over the course of the season… and again you have the league's best run game, skill position group, and one of the most QB friendly schemes built around playaction. Those are key factors beyond his individual skill that allowed him to have the type of season he had… where he already put up near historic numbers in terms of efficiency. I personally think those numbers skewed opinions of him in this fanbase to a degree. He's a good QB. Especially advanced in his ability to run the offense with such little NFL experience. Great poise. Enough athletic ability and feel to make occasional plays out of structure.

As elite as the supporting cast is, it's not really built to take on elite defenses. Aiyuk and especially Deebo get blanketed. All the YAC bros get tackled immediately. The OL gets ran through and run game gets shutdown. The setup we have is great for most of the reg season, but it's a grind going against good defenses. The OL needs help and we need more receivers that don't rely so much on the scheme to get open
Share 49ersWebzone