There are 158 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I agree, but perhaps I am biased as I think Purdy would put up historic number behind elite protection. I mean historic.

I just think out side Trent and our scheme the rest of the o line is pretty garbage. When you face Chris Jones he exposes it.

The thing is it's unrealistic to expect a QB to be surrounded by elite talent in all supporting units in today's NFL. Our OL isn't elite in pass protection but it wasn't bad either, especially over the course of the season… and again you have the league's best run game, skill position group, and one of the most QB friendly schemes built around playaction. Those are key factors beyond his individual skill that allowed him to have the type of season he had… where he already put up near historic numbers in terms of efficiency. I personally think those numbers skewed opinions of him in this fanbase to a degree. He's a good QB. Especially advanced in his ability to run the offense with such little NFL experience. Great poise. Enough athletic ability and feel to make occasional plays out of structure.

As elite as the supporting cast is, it's not really built to take on elite defenses. Aiyuk and especially Deebo get blanketed. All the YAC bros get tackled immediately. The OL gets ran through and run game gets shutdown. The setup we have is great for most of the reg season, but it's a grind going against good defenses. The OL needs help and we need more receivers that don't rely so much on the scheme to get open

BA can get open on his own, Deebo not so much (at least not against very good DBs).
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He's gonna have to keep evolving. Felt like by end of season, clubs just sit on our intermediate in breaking routes, cuz that's what we keep throwing.

He wasn't playing as well individually for weeks. Still good, but not at the level we had seen prior. JTO (who you have cited previously) detailed this in his near weekly videos on the guy.

We'll see how he adjusts and whether he can continue to get better. No real reason to think he can't, but it's not a sure thing.

Brock has shown he can make all throws. I don't how much it has to be said that Brock played like the best QB in the league despite having a bottom ten tier OL protecting him. I'm willing to wager that if we fix the OL Brock will take yet another step forward in terms of production and efficiency
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I agree, but perhaps I am biased as I think Purdy would put up historic number behind elite protection. I mean historic.

I just think out side Trent and our scheme the rest of the o line is pretty garbage. When you face Chris Jones he exposes it.

The thing is it's unrealistic to expect a QB to be surrounded by elite talent in all supporting units in today's NFL. Our OL isn't elite in pass protection but it wasn't bad either, especially over the course of the season… and again you have the league's best run game, skill position group, and one of the most QB friendly schemes built around playaction. Those are key factors beyond his individual skill that allowed him to have the type of season he had… where he already put up near historic numbers in terms of efficiency. I personally think those numbers skewed opinions of him in this fanbase to a degree. He's a good QB. Especially advanced in his ability to run the offense with such little NFL experience. Great poise. Enough athletic ability and feel to make occasional plays out of structure.

As elite as the supporting cast is, it's not really built to take on elite defenses. Aiyuk and especially Deebo get blanketed. All the YAC bros get tackled immediately. The OL gets ran through and run game gets shutdown. The setup we have is great for most of the reg season, but it's a grind going against good defenses. The OL needs help and we need more receivers that don't rely so much on the scheme to get open

BA can get open on his own, Deebo not so much (at least not against very good DBs).

Agreed, but him being the only guy that has a chance of getting separation in these situations is not ideal. Aiyuks good, but he had his struggles too. I think he's best as a #2
Agreed, but him being the only guy that has a chance of getting separation in these situations is not ideal. Aiyuks good, but he had his struggles too. I think he's best as a #2

He's a number 1. Probably a fringe top 10 guy in the league IMO. Would agree we are missing a 2 in the dropback game… but Deebo was also pretty banged up late this year. I'd like them to add another guy for depth who isn't so specialized ideally.
He's a number 1. Probably a fringe top 10 guy in the league IMO. Would agree we are missing a 2 in the dropback game… but Deebo was also pretty banged up late this year. I'd like them to add another guy for depth who isn't so specialized ideally.

I would get a deal on JJ and he's the #2, he should be on the field he's a run asset, and can win contested one on ones, then get a real slot WR with short area quickness and hands. A guy who's hard to stay with.

Don't think I have him that high. He benefits as much as anyone from being in this offense. Idk where it ranks # wise, but he's in range with guys like Kirk and waddle imo. I hope we get lucky like the Texans, they've found two absolute studs at receiver in the 3rd round

Ya he's a #1, but like you said not one of the top 5 elite players. If he wants to get there he needs to bulk up a bit more this offseason and work on his hands a bit more. He can be like Hopkins, similar size, frame, athleticism.

Agreed the last two years our o-line can get manhandled. We used to out physical everyone, but not anymore.

The run game was garbage without TW which is insane. The talent along the o line is just so subpar it shows up in championship games. It wasn't as a big a deal when we had jimmy because he sucked regardless, but with Purdy its an imperative imo.

Agreed the last two years our o-line can get manhandled. We used to out physical everyone, but not anymore.

The run game was garbage without TW which is insane. The talent along the o line is just so subpar it shows up in championship games. It wasn't as a big a deal when we had jimmy because he sucked regardless, but with Purdy its an imperative imo.

Yea just getting some OL would go a long way. We have CMC and can't run the ball at all if Trent is out, or we play a good defense. That's how bad the other 4 linemen are

Then when we can't run the ball those linemen can't hide behind PA anymore and they get exploited even further in pass protection. Our #1 focus this offseason needs to be OL
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Brock has shown he can make all throws. I don't how much it has to be said that Brock played like the best QB in the league despite having a bottom ten tier OL protecting him. I'm willing to wager that if we fix the OL Brock will take yet another step forward in terms of production and efficiency

This! If Brock had a top 15 or top 10 offensive line pass protection wise, he is a top 3 quarterback in this league (Now I put him at top 5-7 level). Even if he loses a weapon or two, the fact that the league doesn't call holding especially in the playoffs, teams with better offensive lines have the edge. Too bad ours doesn't because it's cost us a Super Bowl.

Originally posted by elguapo:
This! If Brock had a top 15 or top 10 offensive line pass protection wise, he is a top 3 quarterback in this league (Now I put him at top 5-7 level). Even if he loses a weapon or two, the fact that the league doesn't call holding especially in the playoffs, teams with better offensive lines have the edge. Too bad ours doesn't because it's cost us a Super Bowl.

I'll never understand arguments where someone says player x is a top 5-7 player but would be top 3 if he had something else around him. Player x is player x. Buffing his support doesn't make him a better player.

Patrick Mahomes' didn't have the same type of production with the lack of skill position players around him this season in comparison to previous years… but his individual ability is still the same.

I'll never understand arguments where someone says player x is a top 5-7 player but would be top 3 if he had something else around him. Player x is player x. Buffing his support doesn't make him a better player.

Patrick Mahomes' didn't have the same type of production with the lack of skill position players around him this season in comparison to previous years… but his individual ability is still the same.

If you can't understand those arguments then that's definitely something you are choosing not to see when it's obvious.

I hope you're not one of those types that would say something like, injuries aren't excuses you should win regardless. Just like how Greenlaws replacement allowed nine catches out of nine targets and a touchdown???Yeah having better players around or not makes a difference in the overall performance of everyone it seems.

Their ability may seem the same in theory, but give them better players, and they might actually perform better than the individual ability we have already seen. This would be the case if Brock Purdy had more time to pass. It's pretty simple
If you can't understand those arguments then that's definitely something you are choosing not to see when it's obvious.

I hope you're not one of those types that would say something like, injuries aren't excuses you should win regardless. Just like how Greenlaws replacement allowed nine catches out of nine targets and a touchdown???Yeah having better players around or not makes a difference in the overall performance of everyone it seems.

Their ability may seem the same in theory, but give them better players, and they might actually perform better than the individual ability we have already seen. This would be the case if Brock Purdy had more time to pass. It's pretty simple

Produce better sure. But not necessarily be a different player. The reality is generally the flaws in players get exposed when the competition gets tougher anyway.

If you think Brock is a top 7 QB now, then he's a top 7 QB with a pass protecting wall in front of him.

There is nuance here. For example a QB who needs to learn how to read coverages better would have a better chance of progressing if he's given the protection to do it. Or on the flip side, a QB may lose confidence and become a worse player if they are constantly taking a beating.

Take Jared Goff this season (instead of the Mahomes example). Is he suddenly a borderline elite QB based on his production with an elite OL, great run game, and good receiving targets? Or is he the same average QB, with the same weaknesses, who is producing at a high level because of that supporting cast? The support shields the weaknesses, doesn't it?

Produce better sure. But not necessarily be a different player. The reality is generally the flaws in players get exposed when the competition gets tougher anyway.

If you think Brock is a top 7 QB now, then he's a top 7 QB with a pass protecting wall in front of him.

There is nuance here. For example a QB who needs to learn how to read coverages better would have a better chance of progressing if he's given the protection to do it. Or on the flip side, a QB may lose confidence and become a worse player if they are constantly taking a beating.

Take Jared Goff this season (instead of the Mahomes example). Is he suddenly a borderline elite QB based on his production with an elite OL, great run game, and good receiving targets? Or is he the same average QB, with the same weaknesses, who is producing at a high level because of that supporting cast? The support shields the weaknesses, doesn't it?

You are correct on your points. I am just saying the obvious. Goff is a solid quarterback, but he can play better due to better people around him. That's correct like you said. The cast can shield weaknesses but I really feel the NFL would look at Brock Purdy as a top three or top five quarterback without argument, if he gets better protection, he would've made so many more plays and be even more efficient which is hard to believe.
You are correct on your points. I am just saying the obvious. Goff is a solid quarterback, but he can play better due to better people around him. That's correct like you said. The cast can shield weaknesses but I really feel the NFL would look at Brock Purdy as a top three or top five quarterback without argument, if he gets better protection, he would've made so many more plays and be even more efficient which is hard to believe.

I wasn't trying to come at you or single you out because I think your ranking of Brock is entirely reasonable and is actually in agreement with my point in the first place. He produced like the best or 2nd best QB for last year statistically but you still have him just outside the top 5. I assume you also don't have Dak in your top 5 even though he was right there statistically at the top as well.
Share 49ersWebzone