LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 223 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Can't wait to see Brock signed for 5 years $250 million!!!

Rather see him take a discount like Tom Brady did to keep better players around him. He gives a lot of credit to his team mates in press conferences so at least he acknowledges its the ultimate team sport and it would be in his best interest to take a discount for success.

Hopefully more of a 5 year $200 Million with incentives
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

Rather see him take a discount like Tom Brady did to keep better players around him. He gives a lot of credit to his team mates in press conferences so at least he acknowledges its the ultimate team sport and it would be in his best interest to take a discount for success.

Imagine someone saying at your job it would be in your best interest to take less for the good of the team, do we walk that ourselves, or do we just talk it for others
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Imagine someone saying at your job it would be in your best interest to take less for the good of the team, do we walk that ourselves, or do we just talk it for others

Lol after thinking about it I think Brock will get more than $250 mil. Unless they do 4 years $250 mil.
If Purdy doesn't keep good players around him, then he may be making $0 in the future unemployed. It's in his best interest to take a discount and keep good players around him so he keeps his job.

The GOAT probably wouldn't be the GOAT had he not signed at a reduced rate. Imagine any person seeing 5 years for $200 Million and not being happy with that.
The GOAT probably wouldn't be the GOAT had he not signed at a reduced rate. Imagine any person seeing 5 years for $200 Million and not being happy with that.

Very true!

There are professional situations like that. Taking a lower salary in order to be able to hire an assistant is sometimes the smart thing to do. Taking a lower salary so the team you are working with can afford to stay together and compete in the sector is also a thing. I've given clients quite substantial discounts on jobs I felt were uniquely beneficial to me (either for personal or career reasons). It doesn't all have to be more, more, more.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:

Very true!

What Brady did was abnormal, and perhaps it only happened because his wife at the time was also making multi millions. No one should expect an athlete to take less pay for the good of the team. If it guaranteed a SB, maybe that athlete does it, but it doesn't guarantee a SB. Would you rather be happy with $200, or happier with $250?
Originally posted by joeknows:
There are professional situations like that. Taking a lower salary in order to be able to hire an assistant is sometimes the smart thing to do. Taking a lower salary so the team you are working with can afford to stay together and compete in the sector is also a thing. I've given clients quite substantial discounts on jobs I felt were uniquely beneficial to me (either for personal or career reasons). It doesn't all have to be more, more, more.

it's all rationalization. it's about fans wanting to have an MVP level QB and when it comes time to pay the man, hold up, he's not an MVP he's a round 7, and should take less for the good of others, it's frustrating when BP is already taking the pay hit. I mean Trey Lance got $34m on his 4 year deal, Brock gets what like $4m. So Trey gets $30m more. That's not an insignificant amount of dollars. And Brock is light years beyond Trey in ability and job performance. So Brock is getting screwed every year right now on his contract. It's one of the more spectacular bargains in pro sports history, and fans are saying oh he needs to keep giving us a discount. It blows my mind..
  • thl408

it's all rationalization. it's about fans wanting to have an MVP level QB and when it comes time to pay the man, hold up, he's not an MVP he's a round 7, and should take less for the good of others, it's frustrating when BP is already taking the pay hit. I mean Trey Lance got $34m on his 4 year deal, Brock gets what like $4m. So Trey gets $30m more. That's not an insignificant amount of dollars. And Brock is light years beyond Trey in ability and job performance. So Brock is getting screwed every year right now on his contract. It's one of the more spectacular bargains in pro sports history, and fans are saying oh he needs to keep giving us a discount. It blows my mind..

That scenario joeknows presented is not applicable to pro sports. Without knowing what field joeknows is referring to, I'm going to assume that his tenure in that profession is longer than that of an NFLer. As an NFL player, you better get that money while you can because one awkward tumble could significantly affect your earning power.

Originally posted by thl408:
What Brady did was abnormal, and perhaps it only happened because his wife at the time was also making multi millions. No one should expect an athlete to take less pay for the good of the team. If it guaranteed a SB, maybe that athlete does it, but it doesn't guarantee a SB. Would you rather be happy with $200, or happier with $250?

This.

Also, Rice is the Goat 🐐 lol Joe or Rice..not Brady
Brock should be grateful he is even in the position he is. He would never be in this position if not for the injuries that year to Lance and Garoppolo. He got very lucky.

That scenario joeknows presented is not applicable to pro sports. Without knowing what field joeknows is referring to, I'm going to assume that his tenure in that profession is longer than that of an NFLer. As an NFL player, you better get that money while you can because one awkward tumble could significantly affect your earning power.

Yup the earning power is all over the place. If we look at Baker, he was pick 1 overall, and he had a non throwing shoulder injury, and it impacted his throw motion, as he had a hard time lifting his non throw arm. He played thru it but not very well, and he was traded for like a late round flyer. Then he's cut completely. So he's worth #1 overall which is huge value, then he's worth zero, and now he's back to worth $100m. It's all what have you done for me lately. Hard to say what Brock gets, it will be judged largely on what happens next year, but we already are getting the discount as we speak. Teams are spending $50m on QB1 and we aren't paying not $1 mil.
yeah he's a spectacular bargain and already playing at a reduced rate. I believe he understands how having a good team around him makes his job easier, based off his press conferences. He doesn't need to take a discounted rate but I'm sure he understands that in doing so it will benefit the team's chances for success as Tom Brady understood. Even at a discounted rate he'd be getting generational wealth regardless. It blows my mind that anybody would complain getting paid $40 mil a year vs $50 mil a year even if the market says your deserving of more. Again he doesn't need to take a discount but if he wants championships and ability to keep a good OL intact and weapons to make your job easier or do you want to carry a team like Aaron Rodgers and maybe get a championship. IMO Rodgers is way more talented than Brady, but Brady has more championship bc he took less money to build the dynasty.
Originally posted by Montana:

This.

Also, Rice is the Goat 🐐 lol Joe or Rice..not Brady

if youre not happy with $100 million you'll never be happy. Honestly what will that extra $50 million do for someone who's already getting generational wealth. Doesn't guarantee a SB but it will definitely improve your odds. Brady won another championship in Tampa obviously taking less money bc they had a good team set up and obviously couldn't afford to make Tom the highest paid player for cap reasons right. Russel Wilson got paid and what happened to the success of that franchise?
Share 49ersWebzone