LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 170 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I'm changing my lawn equipment from Kobalt to John Deere. I'm going green!

Kobalt makes lawn equipment?
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Kobalt makes lawn equipment?

In Lowes but it's lithium battery outfitted. Just homeowner gear but not full blown large scale equipment like JD can do for folks that own a ranch
Originally posted by Montana:

That's the ticket! Good job:)

And I was one that was all for Trey getting his shot as I could fathom no scenario where we have three firsts and got it wrong. Well we did but we fixed it all with BP!

More like, Brock Purdy fixed us lolol

The drought is finally over lol

Yes because my criteria was to beat Hurts and beat Mahomes and he dang near did just that if not for Mahomes having a grabby OL and Steve Spagnolo with Taylor Swift rooting for him

Brock proved to me that he is "the real deal". I've seen enough
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 20, 2024 at 6:51 AM ]
  • bud49
  • Veteran
49ers Draft Rewind: 2022 - A Purdy Draft (msn.com)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49ers-draft-rewind-2022-a-purdy-draft/ar-AA1nlZuW?ocid=socialshare&pc=U531&cvid=2d08d2884f3440d2b8af2be5879a2bd8&ei=103

Don't know if this has been shared. Just sharing
Other than Brock being a great pick I forgot how much the rest of the 2022 draft sucked.

Round 2 - Pick 61 - Drake Jackson, LB, USC
Round 3 - No. 93 - Tyrion Davis-Price, RB, LSU
Round 3 - No. 105 - Danny Gray, WR, SMU
Round 4 - No. 134 - Spencer Burford, OT, UTSA
Round 5 - No. 172 - Samuel Womack, CB, Toledo
Round 6 - No. 187 - Nick Zakelj, OT, Fordham
Round 6 - No. 220 - Kalia Davis, DT, UCF
Round 6 - No. 221 - Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State
Round 7 - No. 262 - Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State
[ Edited by bud49 on Apr 20, 2024 at 8:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I like the way Brock played last year but I won't call him a franchise QB until he plays like that for a couple more years. I've seen way too many guys fizzle after starting out hot. I don't expect that to happen since he isn't a gimmick QB that teams will figure out. He's a solid player that plays at a higher level than his size and athleticism would dictate. It would probably be a mental thing or an injury if he has a drop in production. Give me 2 more years like last year or a SB title and then I'll call him a franchise QB.

Totally understand where you're coming from. But when it comes time to pay him after next season, his contract will fully say so!!!! I'm just glad there aren't two sides of fans of Brock Purdy right now.

Brock is a franchise QB and his top 5 status is solidified in my eyes. Then he's only gonna get better with experience

I'm not anti Brock. I love what I've seen from him so far. I just am reluctant to proclaim him as the next great 49er QB because I've been down this road before. As I stated above there have been 3 QBs in recent years that looked great for a season or 2 nd then leveled off or dropped off. In some cases it was because of injuries which are unpredictable. The team will sign him to a new contract worth upwards of $40 million per year. I just hope he can stay healthy and continue to play well.

As far as him continuing to get better. I don't know how much more he can improve. Part of his success so far was his experience that he gained from so many college starts. He's not like some of the physically gifted QBs that come out of college with limited starts. They have a lot of room for improvement by getting more reps. Brock has those reps. That's why I don't see a lot of room for improvement. He cn learn defenses a little more but those are always shifting so it's something every QB deals with. He can improve his timing with his receivers but honestly he already has that. I don't see any area that he really needs to improve.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like the way Brock played last year but I won't call him a franchise QB until he plays like that for a couple more years. I've seen way too many guys fizzle after starting out hot. I don't expect that to happen since he isn't a gimmick QB that teams will figure out. He's a solid player that plays at a higher level than his size and athleticism would dictate. It would probably be a mental thing or an injury if he has a drop in production. Give me 2 more years like last year or a SB title and then I'll call him a franchise QB.

Totally understand where you're coming from. But when it comes time to pay him after next season, his contract will fully say so!!!! I'm just glad there aren't two sides of fans of Brock Purdy right now.

Brock is a franchise QB and his top 5 status is solidified in my eyes. Then he's only gonna get better with experience

I'm not anti Brock. I love what I've seen from him so far. I just am reluctant to proclaim him as the next great 49er QB because I've been down this road before. As I stated above there have been 3 QBs in recent years that looked great for a season or 2 nd then leveled off or dropped off. In some cases it was because of injuries which are unpredictable. The team will sign him to a new contract worth upwards of $40 million per year. I just hope he can stay healthy and continue to play well.

As far as him continuing to get better. I don't know how much more he can improve. Part of his success so far was his experience that he gained from so many college starts. He's not like some of the physically gifted QBs that come out of college with limited starts. They have a lot of room for improvement by getting more reps. Brock has those reps. That's why I don't see a lot of room for improvement. He cn learn defenses a little more but those are always shifting so it's something every QB deals with. He can improve his timing with his receivers but honestly he already has that. I don't see any area that he really needs to improve.

But the three QB's you mentioned all had their own flaws, Jimmy G, injury prone, Kap wasn't a great passer in the pocket, police protest thing, Alex Smith played timid. Brock Purdy is none of those things, sure he was injured, but he worked his ass off to come back and not miss a game when the team thought otherwise. Brock Purdy is all about god, football and John Deeres, he won't be kneeling during the National Anthem for anything, and his mechanics from the pocket are far better than Kaepernick's. And during the playoffs, being down vs the Packers and Lions, he showed more courage and will to win than Alex Smith did in his entire career.

Is Brock Purdy perfect, nope, far from it, but I believe he'll continue to get better at reading defenses and continue working on learning the playbook. Tell you one thing, I wouldn't worry about him regressing any time soon even if his O-line stays the same, he's too good of a Pro to let that happen. I get it, you have your worries but being back in the playoffs this upcoming season should quickly put that to rest.
But the three QB's you mentioned all had their own flaws, Jimmy G, injury prone, Kap wasn't a great passer in the pocket, police protest thing, Alex Smith played timid. Brock Purdy is none of those things, sure he was injured, but he worked his ass off to come back and not miss a game when the team thought otherwise. Brock Purdy is all about god, football and John Deeres, he won't be kneeling during the National Anthem for anything, and his mechanics from the pocket are far better than Kaepernick's. And during the playoffs, being down vs the Packers and Lions, he showed more courage and will to win than Alex Smith did in his entire career.

Is Brock Purdy perfect, nope, far from it, but I believe he'll continue to get better at reading defenses and continue working on learning the playbook. Tell you one thing, I wouldn't worry about him regressing any time soon even if his O-line stays the same, he's too good of a Pro to let that happen. I get it, you have your worries but being back in the playoffs this upcoming season should quickly put that to rest.

This is the thing for the doubters

Who is the HC? Is he a brilliant offensive mind? Does he call the plays?

Thats the difference!

Alex and Kap played under Harbaugh and they had their flaws but they also played under an inferior offensive mind as opposed to having Kyle Shanahan.

Kyle never told us Jimmy G was the real deal and he never trusted him to throw thirty times in playoff games but he has with Brock

My confidence here is in the Brock Kyle marriage and we haven't had anything like this since the 80s
Originally posted by bud49:
49ers Draft Rewind: 2022 - A Purdy Draft (msn.com)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49ers-draft-rewind-2022-a-purdy-draft/ar-AA1nlZuW?ocid=socialshare&pc=U531&cvid=2d08d2884f3440d2b8af2be5879a2bd8&ei=103

Don't know if this has been shared. Just sharing
Other than Brock being a great pick I forgot how much the rest of the 2022 draft sucked.

Round 2 - Pick 61 - Drake Jackson, LB, USC
Round 3 - No. 93 - Tyrion Davis-Price, RB, LSU
Round 3 - No. 105 - Danny Gray, WR, SMU
Round 4 - No. 134 - Spencer Burford, OT, UTSA
Round 5 - No. 172 - Samuel Womack, CB, Toledo
Round 6 - No. 187 - Nick Zakelj, OT, Fordham
Round 6 - No. 220 - Kalia Davis, DT, UCF
Round 6 - No. 221 - Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State
Round 7 - No. 262 - Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State

Brock Purdy, Drake Jackson, and Spencer Buford for the equivalent of the 33rd pick. That's a hell of a draft (but agreed it's all because of Purdy). We had almost no draft capital the past couple drafts…

2021 draft was a disaster because we wasted 3 1st round draft picks + a 3rd round draft pick on Trey Lance.
Originally posted by NONAME:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's real. He did it for 2 years now. His timing, anticipation, mechanics, accuracy, quickness and burst in short area are all great. He's just not a combine guy. Doesn't fit the height and weight. He's like a young Drew Brees. The accuracy is tremendous and he should only get better. They are going to figure out he's great. Nothing you can do about it.
and even still, he will have a bad game here and there it's completely normal.

But Brock is legit. Super lucky we got him

Yeah I agree he's real and the comparisons. He should be good for 12 - 15 years. Giving us a big Super Bowl window. But we got to win one of these. I'm sick of losing the Super Bowl. It would be better if he don't face Mahomes. Somebody has to beat him in the AFC. I want no part of that guy in in the Super Bowl. I've seen enough. I think we have a much better chance not facing him obviously.
I knew he was the one after I watched his 2nd start as a qb..some choose to still wait n see lol

Mahomes got lucky in 3 SBs and ppl talk about him like he is invincible lol

John Deere has a spring merch collection out if anyone is interested..in supporting the QB of JD;) They have hats, clothes, accessories..even a nifty pocket watch. Lol

https://shop.deere.com/us/Merchandise-Workshop/cl/c/MerchandiseWorkshop/

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Brock Purdy, Drake Jackson, and Spencer Buford for the equivalent of the 33rd pick. That's a hell of a draft (but agreed it's all because of Purdy). We had almost no draft capital the past couple drafts…

2021 draft was a disaster because we wasted 3 1st round draft picks + a 3rd round draft pick on Trey Lance.

Drake has been underwhelming and it's only a matter of time before he's out of the team.

Burford is a steaming pile of dog s**t.
[ Edited by Koldo on Apr 20, 2024 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Koldo:
Drake has been underwhelming and it's only a matter of time before he's out of the team.

Burford is steaming pile of dog s**t.

Doesn't matter. Purdy was worth way more than all the draft picks we had that year (33rd pick).

The rest of that draft class is worthless but coming away with a franchise QB is worth way more than those picks should have been worth.

It's very difficult to truly rank Purdy amongst his peers because of what he has to work with. A top 3 offensive mind with Shanahan and a similar ranking regarding the skill set of surrounding players. Plus the fact that he's got arguably the best RB in the game, in a run oriented system that really takes the pressure off of him. His Oline is sub-par but that in no way, shape or form negates the positives to a level of par....Purdy is fairly blessed to be where he is. He's better than any QB SF has had since Garcia (might be better than him as well), but no way can I say he's there with the HOF guys we've had here. Not yet.

On one hand, I'm glad for the talent around Brock, but I wouldn't mind seeing him down a few of those key guys to really see how good HE is. To see if he can 'carry' the team. That's the best way I can define a elite QB.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Burford is a steaming pile of dog s**t.

Doesn't matter. Purdy was worth way more than all the draft picks we had that year (33rd pick).

The rest of that draft class is worthless but coming away with a franchise QB is worth way more than those picks should have been worth.

Agree.

But it's a testament to how badly Shanahan and Lynch have drafted the last few years.

That and the Trey Lance fiasco will soon bite us in the ass.
[ Edited by Koldo on Apr 20, 2024 at 1:11 PM ]
Agree.

But it's a testament to how badly Shanahan and Lynch have drafted the last few years.

That and the Trey Lance fiasco will soon bite us in the ass.

They have drafted quite well, and played the FA market very well. Purdy's class was not great, but there you are. To bounce from there to the line you are taking here is not really supportable. IF what you said was true, it would have already bitten us. But it hasn't.

2020 Aiyuk, Jennings and, to an extent, McKivitz. 2021 Banks, Lenoir, Hufuanga. 2022 Purdy. 2023 too early to judge. When you are carrying a strong roster there is not that much spare room.

You are expecting an approaching Armageddon. If it makes you feel happy, you carry on thinking that way. For now, this is still one of the strongest rosters in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone