LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 205 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Montana:
Ugh whatever..Mahomes, overrated..really good qb..but so blown out of proportion. Got lucky in 3 SBs..played just so so..wasn't magic or anything. But somehow he is Lord Patrick. Purdy deserves no 1 cause he is no 1..Idgaf.
It will be Payday Purdy soon and he deserves every cent:)

I plugged Toyota to a group of friends today 🫡 lol

I guess Brady is over rated then. He didn't play great in some of those SBs but his team still won. I heard Steve Young yesterday talking bout Purdy. His thoughts were nearly identical to mine. He likes the way he plays but he doesn't see a great deal of room for improvement. Subtle differences but nothing major. Getting familiar with receivers and visa versa is one area but receivers are changing nearly every year. It's not like it was in Steve's era. Deebo could be gone after this season. There are always new ones coming in.

Steve said that to win a SB the QB often has to rise up a do something great. It's often not enough to just be efficient. Brock needs to find that something. He was instrumental in wining the Lions playoff game when he started running. They weren't expecting that at all. He wasn't able to do that against the Chiefs. He has to find something else. Another gear for those 4th quarters.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Ugh whatever..Mahomes, overrated..really good qb..but so blown out of proportion. Got lucky in 3 SBs..played just so so..wasn't magic or anything. But somehow he is Lord Patrick. Purdy deserves no 1 cause he is no 1..Idgaf.

I guess Brady is over rated then. He didn't play great in some of those SBs but his team still won. I heard Steve Young yesterday talking bout Purdy. His thoughts were nearly identical to mine. He likes the way he plays but he doesn't see a great deal of room for improvement. Subtle differences but nothing major. Getting familiar with receivers and visa versa is one area but receivers are changing nearly every year. It's not like it was in Steve's era. Deebo could be gone after this season. There are always new ones coming in.

Steve said that to win a SB the QB often has to rise up a do something great. It's often not enough to just be efficient. Brock needs to find that something. He was instrumental in wining the Lions playoff game when he started running. They weren't expecting that at all. He wasn't able to do that against the Chiefs. He has to find something else. Another gear for those 4th quarters.

The more the NFL relies upon hero-ball, the less interesting it becomes to me. Growing up as a 49er fan in the 80s-90s spoiled me - offensive peak efficiency and underestimated defensive lockdown control are the most compelling ways to win, IMO. That doesn't sell as well in 2024 to Swifties.
Originally posted by captveg:

The more the NFL relies upon hero-ball, the less interesting it becomes to me. Growing up as a 49er fan in the 80s-90s spoiled me - offensive peak efficiency and underestimated defensive lockdown control are the most compelling ways to win, IMO. That doesn't sell as well in 2024 to Swifties.

I like defense too. One of my favorite games was the Monday night clash in 1990 between the Giants and Niners when both teams were great. Each team was loaded with offensive talent but the defensive talent was just as good. The Niners won a bruising battle 7-3. Sounds boring on paper but I assure you it wasn't. We were on the edge of our seats the entire game. Later that year the Giants returned the favor and beat the Niners 15-13 in the NFC title game, denying them a chance for the 3peat.

Rules have changed now that allow receivers ro run untouched through the middle of the field. Young commented on that yesterday saying it allowed teams to quickly move down the field late in games while the defense protects against the quick strike. We seldom see those great defensive battles anymore.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
KC #1, no question. Anything else, and you are fooling yourself. I think the focus starts with the Rams this season, get by them, SEA and ARZ should be pushovers, then we host a playoff game and of course can go for more than that

Should or shouldn't, the 49ers are actual betting favorites.

Of course they're usually one of the most heavily bet teams and the Chiefs have a harder path in the AFC. Going to be reflected in the odds.

Are the 49ers actually betting favorites for win it all? Impressive. I like our chances but didn't expect that. If Brock can improve and we implement our last two years of talent, coupled with our defensive additions - I really like our chances.

Part of the reason the Chiefs are not betting favorites is because no team has won 3 consecutive Super Bowls. That alone lowers their odds of winning again in Vegas.

No team has won three consecutive Super Bowls......but watch KC do it.

All they have to do is keep telling Kelce to giving it to Taylor Swift every night and boom, Super bowl win #3.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
KC #1, no question. Anything else, and you are fooling yourself. I think the focus starts with the Rams this season, get by them, SEA and ARZ should be pushovers, then we host a playoff game and of course can go for more than that

Should or shouldn't, the 49ers are actual betting favorites.

Of course they're usually one of the most heavily bet teams and the Chiefs have a harder path in the AFC. Going to be reflected in the odds.

Are the 49ers actually betting favorites for win it all? Impressive. I like our chances but didn't expect that. If Brock can improve and we implement our last two years of talent, coupled with our defensive additions - I really like our chances.

Part of the reason the Chiefs are not betting favorites is because no team has won 3 consecutive Super Bowls. That alone lowers their odds of winning again in Vegas.

No team has won three consecutive Super Bowls......but watch KC do it.

All they have to do is keep telling Kelce to giving it to Taylor Swift every night and boom, Super bowl win #3.

hahahah, they have a real shot.

Brady ain't over rated, oh boyy don't get me going
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I like defense too. One of my favorite games was the Monday night clash in 1990 between the Giants and Niners when both teams were great. Each team was loaded with offensive talent but the defensive talent was just as good. The Niners won a bruising battle 7-3. Sounds boring on paper but I assure you it wasn't. We were on the edge of our seats the entire game. Later that year the Giants returned the favor and beat the Niners 15-13 in the NFC title game, denying them a chance for the 3peat.

Rules have changed now that allow receivers ro run untouched through the middle of the field. Young commented on that yesterday saying it allowed teams to quickly move down the field late in games while the defense protects against the quick strike. We seldom see those great defensive battles anymore.

Agree with Steve that Brock isn't going to the next level on the physical side. Brock isn't going to grow two inches taller or add another 5 mph to his throwing velocity. It's going to have to be on the mental side. I think he can get to another gear from a mental perspective. If he can get another Aiyuk (pearsoll/cowing) that has the psychic connection with Brock -- that's probably the way he and his WRs can get to the next gear. Imagine the defense calls a cover two coverage and Brock and his WR change their routs mid-play to defeat that coverage(for example.) Those route opiton/adjustments are almost impossible to defend against.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree with Steve that Brock isn't going to the next level on the physical side. Brock isn't going to grow two inches taller or add another 5 mph to his throwing velocity. It's going to have to be on the mental side. I think he can get to another gear from a mental perspective. If he can get another Aiyuk (pearsoll/cowing) that has the psychic connection with Brock -- that's probably the way he and his WRs can get to the next gear. Imagine the defense calls a cover two coverage and Brock and his WR change their routs mid-play to defeat that coverage(for example.) Those route opiton/adjustments are almost impossible to defend against.

Part of what Steve said was that Brock can't improve on things like mental errors because he doesn't make a lot of them. He doesn't have a lot of room for improvement compared to so many QBs that come out of college with less experience. If he threw a lot of INTs then you could say that it was something he could cut down on but he doesn't. I'm sure he'll get a little better when it comes to recognizing defenses and a slight improvement hitting his receivers but he's already pretty good in both those categories.

We need to realize that we're fortunate that Purdy played so well so quickly. We can't expect a player that's this good to keep improving. Players have their limits and don't just keep getting better. If they play long enough the mental part gets easier but the physical gets harder.
Part of what Steve said was that Brock can't improve on things like mental errors because he doesn't make a lot of them. He doesn't have a lot of room for improvement compared to so many QBs that come out of college with less experience. If he threw a lot of INTs then you could say that it was something he could cut down on but he doesn't. I'm sure he'll get a little better when it comes to recognizing defenses and a slight improvement hitting his receivers but he's already pretty good in both those categories.

We need to realize that we're fortunate that Purdy played so well so quickly. We can't expect a player that's this good to keep improving. Players have their limits and don't just keep getting better. If they play long enough the mental part gets easier but the physical gets harder.

He can get better with his reads and progressions and tighten up his fundamentals.

I don't think he played as well from that Baltimore game on. First time through a long season perhaps. Plenty of room for improvement even though he's physically limited in comparison to the high talent elite guys in the league.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'm not talking about mental errors, more like *additional* WR options that make the route tree *More* flexible and unpredictable and unstoppable. Example: defense calls a man coverage and makes it look to Brock *pre-snap* that it's man coverage - but post snap, they drop into cover 2 zone. If Brock and his WR's are on the same page in reading the defense, and the WRs adjust their routes (for example) change a go route into a hook or curl that defeats that particular zone coverage. So basically - no matter what coverage/zone blitz the defense runs, Brock and his WR's will have a solution.

Well considering he played just shy of an MVP caliber season last year, I would be thrilled with minor improvements.
Looking at some of Brock's throws which were picked or almost picked, I'd say that those may be small insights into what a defense might do to either throw off the QB's timing or to show up somewhere he is not expected. That is going to be Kyle's problem to help alleviate
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Well considering he played just shy of an MVP caliber season last year, I would be thrilled with minor improvements.

Same, he doesn't have glaring weaknesses. I personally don't think there is anything he's "bad" at, but there are def areas he can improve. If he can make a 5-10% improvement in those areas - it'll be incredible.

i think having a couple solid slot options will really help. It'll be a lot on him just making quick accurate decisions, which he is already good at.
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Looking at some of Brock's throws which were picked or almost picked, I'd say that those may be small insights into what a defense might do to either throw off the QB's timing or to show up somewhere he is not expected. That is going to be Kyle's problem to help alleviate

I anticipate we will see a lot of teams, especially early in the season, try to duplicate what the chiefs/baltimore did with man coverage against us, which I think is a big reason we drafted Pearsall & Cowing. We have the tools, just need to get them fine tuned.
I anticipate we will see a lot of teams, especially early in the season, try to duplicate what the chiefs/baltimore did with man coverage against us, which I think is a big reason we drafted Pearsall & Cowing. We have the tools, just need to get them fine tuned.

Teams tried what they tried throughout the season. The only teams that it worked for are the browns, ravens & chiefs. So, yeah, if you have an elite defense it's not as easy for Brock.

Good luck to teams trying that without the personnel to do it
Share 49ersWebzone