LISTEN: This Isn't Kyle Shanahan's Year →

There are 247 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brock was definitely clutch in the playoffs, it's the one area going in where he hadn't showed much but there are no doubts now.
Brock getting the respect he deserves!! #2 in the QB ranking on CBS
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-qb-power-rankings-brock-purdy-jordan-love-crack-top-10-in-first-post-draft-pecking-order/
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah I see this video as stuff that can be improved upon and realizing that he was coming back from a massive surgery. I will always say I wish his arm strength was better…there's definitely some floaters out there, but he's proven to be a damn good QB for this team. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I still think his arm is better than Montana's. All Brock needs now is to get in synch better with his receivers and get his modern version of Jerry Rice and John Taylor. If Kyle can add a few more choice/option routes - Brock will be hard to stop. Arm or no arm, with that accuracy, and with WRs that can beat man and zone.

You may be right that his arm is better than Montana's. That wasn't Joe's best attribute. His field vision was second to none and his cool in tough conditions is legendary.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by thl408:
One thing that has been consistent from Brock is that he steps up in high pressure situations. I had a count going and when I get some time I'll append, but he has stepped up in "gotta have it" situations. I'm referring to last minute drives. The most recent one being the final drive of the GB playoff game. I can make an argument that he stepped up in the SB OT drive, and that perhaps that ends with a touchdown had Burford done his job. But on that drive, no one can say that he folded. He has the clutch gene.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about him. It's a major variable in how you can gauge how good a qb really is - how they perform when it matters most. He's done great for the most part.

Yeah man what he did as a rookie and then as a first year starter coming off of major surgery is freaking rare. Pundits can say Kyle's system and all star players all around him all they want, still gotta execute and he did that and then some. Detroit game he put the team on his back and won the game. Don't remember seeing a 49er QB do that since Steve Young

I feel that's something that doesn't mentioned enough when talking about a young QB. The focus seems to be on physical traits, ability to use athleticism, and production stats. How a QB handles pressure situations is absolutely critical. A QB doesn't need get the W every single time, but we've seen QBs that crumble mentally when the pressure is cranked up to high, and after multiple failures, it snowballs and becomes who they are. For Brock, he's becoming the guy that elevates when the pressure is high, and that also starts to define who he is - most importantly to his teammates. It's that aura of confidence that teammates pick up on, and when the results match the demeanor, that's how true franchise QBs are determined.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is Lamar. Amazing player, but he's getting the reputation of a QB that does not step up when the pressure is high. And once a QB gets that reputation it can weigh on him, and the next time he's in a pressure cooker, the fear of living up to that reputation seeps into their play.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Packers can't properly support their QB's for them to be a threat. They are dangerous, but not a threat. They'll waste Love's career just like they did Rodgers and Favres.

Favre was definitely a threat

Only because his defense was so damn good.

Did absolutely nothing against Dallas while we could handle Dallas.

There are reasons why. Very good QB, but no better than Rodgers.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on May 8, 2024 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
I feel that's something that doesn't mentioned enough when talking about a young QB. The focus seems to be on physical traits, ability to use athleticism, and production stats. How a QB handles pressure situations is absolutely critical. A QB doesn't need get the W every single time, but we've seen QBs that crumble mentally when the pressure is cranked up to high, and after multiple failures, it snowballs and becomes who they are. For Brock, he's becoming the guy that elevates when the pressure is high, and that also starts to define who he is - most importantly to his teammates. It's that aura of confidence that teammates pick up on, and when the results match the demeanor, that's how true franchise QBs are determined.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is Lamar. Amazing player, but he's getting the reputation of a QB that does not step up when the pressure is high. And once a QB gets that reputation it can weigh on him, and the next time he's in a pressure cooker, the fear of living up to that reputation seeps into their play.

I agree - I feel like it doesn't get talked about a lot cause you can't quantify "clutch".

I get that it's hard to come through in "clutch" situations but I think it gets harder and harder, mentally, if you fail the first few. Like you said, you become type casted and then it weighs. In a lot of ways, manning was like that.
Some fave early posts about BP

Im so proud to be on this 😍😭
Originally posted by tankle104:
Im so proud to be on this 😍😭

I think BP13 sums it up well

THE BROCK PURDY ERA

I think BP13 sums it up well

THE BROCK PURDY ERA

Awesome! thanks for digging this up Montana. Gonna tell my grand-kids one day, I WAS THERE WHEN IT BEGAN!!!! #BP #BROCKPURDYERA

He's definitely not like Steve Young.

A lot of fans fall for any QB that looks good for a game. Never got my hopes until the SEA playoff game, after that I was pretty sure he was legit. But you always need to see that 2nd year, a lot of 1 year wonders. After last year, there's no doubt he's a franchise QB
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

A lot of fans fall for any QB that looks good for a game. Never got my hopes until the SEA playoff game, after that I was pretty sure he was legit. But you always need to see that 2nd year, a lot of 1 year wonders. After last year, there's no doubt he's a franchise QB

Pretty sure it Steve Young replaced Jimmy G and not Joe Montana his reception would've been much different.

I knew he was a franchise QB at the Seattle game (his 2nd start), more than just getting my hopes up. He had it.
Sorry it took you longer to realize greatness. I have watched a lot of football..when you know, you know. Maybe do something else besides criticize ppls posts. Is that possible? Lol
At the Seattle game, he did a flawless double fake that Young also did in the same manner. Tell me they didn't look similar. How long have you watched 49ers football anyway? Or football in general?
[ Edited by Montana on May 8, 2024 at 8:05 PM ]

I knew he was a franchise QB at the Seattle game (his 2nd start), more than just getting my hopes up. He had it.
Sorry it took you longer to realize greatness. I have watched a lot of football..when you know, you know. Maybe do something else besides criticize ppls posts. Is that possible? Lol
At the Seattle game, he did a flawless double fake that Young also did in the same manner. Tell me they didn't look similar. How long have you watched 49ers football anyway? Or football in general?
i don't think anyone can beat my (knew he had it) .. documented/posted right before we traded for CMC
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah I see this video as stuff that can be improved upon and realizing that he was coming back from a massive surgery. I will always say I wish his arm strength was better…there's definitely some floaters out there, but he's proven to be a damn good QB for this team. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I think now that I have seen him play over these past couple of seasons, the arm strength worry is overblown. He's got the IT factor, and many top QB's don't have it and never will. Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff, heck even throw in Jordan Love since he was not impressive when it mattered the most, those guys may have the prototypical look of a standard NFL QB, but those guys aren't on the level that Brock is on when it comes to playing the position at an elite level. In my eyes, those guys are mediocre compared to him.
Share 49ersWebzone