There are 335 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Blogger opinions...meh
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Blogger opinions...meh

Beyond the Purdy omission which could make some waves here, pretty wild to have Dak at 6, Lawrence at 7, and Burrow at 8.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Joe was a good athlete coming out of ND.

Burrow is an average athlete at best. It's his arm, IQ, that makes him great.

What? Burrow is a very good athlete

Based on his arm? Sure

What definition you going by?

He has some mobility (not a complete statue), but he's much more in line with the traditional pocket passer type. He's not going to be included in groups with guys like Allen, Jackson, Hurts etc.

Ya that's the norm for today's QBs. There aren't any Kurt Warners left. Even Mac Jones is a decent athlete. But you don't put Allen, Pat, in the same sentence as Burrow from a pure athletic pov
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
People say brock doesnt have elite traits but forget brock has elite short area quickness. Not straight line of course but his quickness is up there with lamar and patty. Way quicker than jalen hurts. And his arm is by no means weak. It is average. Totally acceptable

Let 'em keep discounting Brock. Itll just make his rise to prominence so much more fun.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Let 'em keep discounting Brock. Itll just make his rise to prominence so much more fun.

Rodgers said, something to the effect of, that he hopes ppl keep discounting him to keep that chip on his shoulder. Fuel the fire.

Almost feels like a personal thing against BP, idk what lol. And the 'weapons around him talk' really needs to die out..such a dumb talking point. I guess they need something to talk about but it I am surprised it hung on for so long. It's incredibly stupid lol.

Based on his arm? Sure

What definition you going by?

His arm isn't special either. His overall arm strength was never a positive for him (for a guy that was going #1 overall).

he's athletic enough to avoid pressure and get outside the pocket if need be. He's got good feet. He's not twitchy like Lamar or Fields. He's not a freight train like Allen who's bigger and just as fast as the Lb/S that are trying to tackle him.

I like Burrow, like you said great football IQ and can process quickly. Good footwork and is pretty accurate. I feel like Brock and Burrow have a lot of the same qualities. Brock is a little twitchier than Joe. I'd say Joe's arm is a little better than Brock's.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 10, 2024 at 4:44 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
All QBs have an advantage over QBs from the Montana era. Rule changes have opened up the middle of the field so it's much easier for the receivers and the QB. Check out the completion % and passer ratings from the 80s and compare them to today. There's nearly a 10 point difference. Mntana and Young were considered 2 of the most accurate passers of that time at 63 and 64%. Their passer ratings were also at or near the tp at 93 and 96. Both are good but now we see several QBs with completion % of 67-70% and passer ratings often over 100.

Different era. Different game.

For sure. I'll just add that you see so many great athletes at the QB position nowadays. They have the equivalent of WR/RB speed and agility as well as a strong arm. P. Mahomes comes to mind.

Guys like Brock, Joe, and Brady don't wow you with their athleticism as Burrows, Allen, and Mahomes - but they might have just as good a career. But the athletic QBs coming out of college are almost the norm now vs. a rarity in the old dynasty days.

Agree, Joe was a good athlete. Walsh drafted him ahead of his Stanford QB - Steve Dills - who was an inch shorter and 15 lbs smaller than Joe. Walsh felt Joe was bigger, stronger and faster than Steve Dills. Athleticism does matter at the QB position to a certain extent.

Originally posted by q0c0p:
People say brock doesnt have elite traits but forget brock has elite short area quickness. Not straight line of course but his quickness is up there with lamar and patty. Way quicker than jalen hurts. And his arm is by no means weak. It is average. Totally acceptable

Probably the most important kind of quickness for a qb. His 10nyard split is as fast as McCaffery and faster than Allen or Mahomes.

He was arguably the best deep ball passers in the NFL. He is elite in those areas.
It's funny to me to see all the twitter talk lately once again downplaying Brock. The vast majority of the fanbases trying to downplay Brock bring up his weapons.

The same fanbases constantly yap about how their guys are better when talking about receivers(for the most part they concede the RB and TE spots)

When Brock plays well it's because he's got the Avengers but apparently those Avengers are Black Widow and Hawkeye(all due respect to fellow niner faithful Jeremy Renner) when it comes down to who has the better talent between the teams.

I've seen Eagles, Dallas, Packers, Seahawks and Rams fans all claim they have better weapons...as long as Brock Purdy's play isn't brought up into it.

Also funny to see how many people act like our pass protection was top notch clearly proving they don't know wtf they're talking about. Seeing Brock make plays to guys like Conley and McCloud in the SB tells me while it's nice to have our weapons around him, he would be able to succeed with weaker level playmakers as long as our pass pro matched the level of the Eagles/Packers who were top 5 in pass pro this past season.

I hope we finally figure out how to fix up our pass pro so people can see how truly special Brock can be with more time to find those guys.
Originally posted by genus49:
It's funny to me to see all the twitter talk lately once again downplaying Brock. The vast majority of the fanbases trying to downplay Brock bring up his weapons.

The same fanbases constantly yap about how their guys are better when talking about receivers(for the most part they concede the RB and TE spots)

When Brock plays well it's because he's got the Avengers but apparently those Avengers are Black Widow and Hawkeye(all due respect to fellow niner faithful Jeremy Renner) when it comes down to who has the better talent between the teams.

I've seen Eagles, Dallas, Packers, Seahawks and Rams fans all claim they have better weapons...as long as Brock Purdy's play isn't brought up into it.

Also funny to see how many people act like our pass protection was top notch clearly proving they don't know wtf they're talking about. Seeing Brock make plays to guys like Conley and McCloud in the SB tells me while it's nice to have our weapons around him, he would be able to succeed with weaker level playmakers as long as our pass pro matched the level of the Eagles/Packers who were top 5 in pass pro this past season.

I hope we finally figure out how to fix up our pass pro so people can see how truly special Brock can be with more time to find those guys.

It's a bunch of hypocritical b******t on the interwebs lol.

One fan of another team will talk about his size. He's literally the same size as two other 1st overall picks in Baker mayfield and Caleb Williams. Same f**king size.

Oh he doesn't have an elite arm (which I agree with) guess what neither does Joe Burrow or Jared Goff two dudes that went #1 overall.

Eagle fans are the worst. Acting like Hurts is a boss. Dude is literally the same height as Brock. He's thicker for sure, but I'll bet money Brock is walking around at 220+ at this point. Hurts got exposed this yr as an actual QB. Take away those RPO/Zone reads and force him to actually have to go through progressions in the pocket and it ain't so pretty.

I had my doubts on Brock. I think it was fair for everyone to have some at first…especially when they burned 3 1sts on a young kid with sky high ceiling. Brock proved that elite processing, being able to play well when pressured, and being accurate are what is needed to play QB at a high level…doesn't hurt having enough ability to make plays out of structure either (like we all wanted). I can deal with him not having a cannon, if he continues to play like he did last yr
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 10, 2024 at 7:39 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

Yup it's nothing new. At least this offseason we don't have to hear dudes like Orlovsky talk about Darnold being the most talented QB on our roster lol
The people that did the draft at the Athletic are probably factoring in what Brock is scheduled to make with the new contract. As good as Brock is we have to be honest when we evaluate him. Would he be nearly as good with most other teams? Probably not. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense but he's not the type of QB that's going to go out and carry the team on his back without a lot of support. Mahomes was able to win last year without a good receiving core other than Kelce. Their running game was average at best. The 49ers offensive weapons were far better than KC's. I'm not saying Brock is only succeeding because of the weapons he has. They certainly help but he has the mental makeup to use them the way Kyle likes. If he was with a team that lacked the talent and had to improvise more I don't think he would be as successful. Some guys get by with athleticism and some do it with smart play. Brock is in the 2nd category.
Share 49ersWebzone