There are 427 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The people that did the draft at the Athletic are probably factoring in what Brock is scheduled to make with the new contract. As good as Brock is we have to be honest when we evaluate him. Would he be nearly as good with most other teams? Probably not. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense but he's not the type of QB that's going to go out and carry the team on his back without a lot of support. Mahomes was able to win last year without a good receiving core other than Kelce. Their running game was average at best. The 49ers offensive weapons were far better than KC's. I'm not saying Brock is only succeeding because of the weapons he has. They certainly help but he has the mental makeup to use them the way Kyle likes. If he was with a team that lacked the talent and had to improvise more I don't think he would be as successful. Some guys get by with athleticism and some do it with smart play. Brock is in the 2nd category.

Meh I kinda disagree there. What he's actually really good at will translate across the league. Elite processing, great vs pressure, good fundamentals (overall), accurate, high football IQ. It's no different than what Joe Burrow is good at and I don't think anyone would say he's gonna stink if he goes elsewhere. It's not like Burrow has elite measurables or an elite arm (he most certainly doesn't). It's not like he's some crazy athlete who can scramble for 100 yards a game either.

A QB's surroundings are what will make you better/have success. All that stuff matters regardless if your Brock or Josh Allen.
The people that did the draft at the Athletic are probably factoring in what Brock is scheduled to make with the new contract. As good as Brock is we have to be honest when we evaluate him. Would he be nearly as good with most other teams? Probably not. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense but he's not the type of QB that's going to go out and carry the team on his back without a lot of support. Mahomes was able to win last year without a good receiving core other than Kelce. Their running game was average at best. The 49ers offensive weapons were far better than KC's. I'm not saying Brock is only succeeding because of the weapons he has. They certainly help but he has the mental makeup to use them the way Kyle likes. If he was with a team that lacked the talent and had to improvise more I don't think he would be as successful. Some guys get by with athleticism and some do it with smart play. Brock is in the 2nd category.

He gets 2 more seasons of last pick in the draft contract. The projection is for the next 3 years...

There is 0 excuse to not include an top 5 MVP QB who had one of the best seasons by a QB per attempt in the history of the game regardless of how much they think his contract would go up in year 3. They got 2 guys who never played a down in the NFL on there for crying out loud and several QBs who are getting huge contracts.
Originally posted by genus49:
He gets 2 more seasons of last pick in the draft contract. The projection is for the next 3 years...

There is 0 excuse to not include an top 5 MVP QB who had one of the best seasons by a QB per attempt in the history of the game regardless of how much they think his contract would go up in year 3. They got 2 guys who never played a down in the NFL on there for crying out loud and several QBs who are getting huge contracts.

This is what Jason the founder of OTC said about that article with Brock

Folks that think Brock's cap hit is gonna go from $1M to $40M in one yr don't understand how the cap works
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 10, 2024 at 8:24 AM ]

Remember this is just the opinion of a group of people. Brock is downgraded consistently by writers and people around the league. Niner fans see something different than the rest of the league. This ranking is no different than a mock draft or a prediction about the next season. Fans shouldn't get too worked up over it. It wouldn't make any difference if they had him ranked #1. His game would still be the same.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
It's a bunch of hypocritical b******t on the interwebs lol.

One fan of another team will talk about his size. He's literally the same size as two other 1st overall picks in Baker mayfield and Caleb Williams. Same f**king size.

Oh he doesn't have an elite arm (which I agree with) guess what neither does Joe Burrow or Jared Goff two dudes that went #1 overall.

Eagle fans are the worst. Acting like Hurts is a boss. Dude is literally the same height as Brock. He's thicker for sure, but I'll bet money Brock is walking around at 220+ at this point. Hurts got exposed this yr as an actual QB. Take away those RPO/Zone reads and force him to actually have to go through progressions in the pocket and it ain't so pretty.

I had my doubts on Brock. I think it was fair for everyone to have some at first…especially when they burned 3 1sts on a young kid with sky high ceiling. Brock proved that elite processing, being able to play well when pressured, and being accurate are what is needed to play QB at a high level…doesn't hurt having enough ability to make plays out of structure either (like we all wanted). I can deal with him not having a cannon, if he continues to play like he did last yr

What gets me is that after hurts had one really good season, everyone was rushing to call him elite. Brock just had a really good season and they have nothing but question marks? It's a joke. Especially now that hurts has had a down season and he's surrounded with a top 3 oline and some excellent weapons. I think hurts is a good qb, and was hurt, but that's why I don't like running qbs too much. They do it wayyyy too often. It's not "if" they get hurt but "when" they get hurt. The position is already dangerous enough, no need to take those extra risks for the most important position on the field, IMO.

i really think most people had a lot of hesitation with Brock more so because of Jimmy than Trey. Jimmy was a true product of the system and talent. We had seen that rodeo where he starts off hot and then fizzles out. Fortunately for us, Brock elevates the players around him and is a play maker. Hopefully he will continue to improve. I really like how Brock played in the big games, when it mattered most.

Meh I kinda disagree there. What he's actually really good at will translate across the league. Elite processing, great vs pressure, good fundamentals (overall), accurate, high football IQ. It's no different than what Joe Burrow is good at and I don't think anyone would say he's gonna stink if he goes elsewhere. It's not like Burrow has elite measurables or an elite arm (he most certainly doesn't). It's not like he's some crazy athlete who can scramble for 100 yards a game either.

A QB's surroundings are what will make you better/have success. All that stuff matters regardless if your Brock or Josh Allen.

He compares favorably with Burrow but I guess they rank Burrow higher based on more years. I don't know if Iagree with that. Burrow has missed a lot of games because of injury and availability is important. Bottomline is I think Brock is going to need another year or two of play like we've seen before people start believing in him. It's hard for many fans to get over the fact that he was the last guy selected in the draft. These evaluations are often done based on physical skills and not won-lost records.

As far as his skills translating to any team, I agree that they would. The difference is other less talented teams ask their QB to run more or make longer more risky throws. That's the part of the game where he falls a little short.
This is what Jason the founder of OTC said about that article with Brock

Folks that think Brock's cap hit is gonna go from $1M to $40M in one yr don't understand how the cap works

lol right. His salary will balloon relative to where it's at but I highly anticipate he will do a deal that is similar to hurts. Hurts signed a pretty team friendly deal but also made himself a lot of money at the same time.

hurts cap hit has remained low and will remain low (relative to other qbs). I expect Brock will do the same. I bet Brock's extensions doesn't even have his cap hit over $30M in any of the first 3 years of the extension.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Let 'em keep discounting Brock. Itll just make his rise to prominence so much more fun.

Yup it's nothing new. At least this offseason we don't have to hear dudes like Orlovsky talk about Darnold being the most talented QB on our roster lol

lol Dak over Burrow. And lol any unproven rookie over Brock Cousins Tua

One fan of another team will talk about his size. He's literally the same size as two other 1st overall picks in Baker mayfield and Caleb Williams. Same f**king size.

Oh he doesn't have an elite arm (which I agree with) guess what neither does Joe Burrow or Jared Goff two dudes that went #1 overall.

Eagle fans are the worst. Acting like Hurts is a boss. Dude is literally the same height as Brock. He's thicker for sure, but I'll bet money Brock is walking around at 220+ at this point. Hurts got exposed this yr as an actual QB. Take away those RPO/Zone reads and force him to actually have to go through progressions in the pocket and it ain't so pretty.

I had my doubts on Brock. I think it was fair for everyone to have some at first…especially when they burned 3 1sts on a young kid with sky high ceiling. Brock proved that elite processing, being able to play well when pressured, and being accurate are what is needed to play QB at a high level…doesn't hurt having enough ability to make plays out of structure either (like we all wanted). I can deal with him not having a cannon, if he continues to play like he did last yr

What gets me is that after hurts had one really good season, everyone was rushing to call him elite. Brock just had a really good season and they have nothing but question marks? It's a joke. Especially now that hurts has had a down season and he's surrounded with a top 3 oline and some excellent weapons. I think hurts is a good qb, and was hurt, but that's why I don't like running qbs too much. They do it wayyyy too often. It's not "if" they get hurt but "when" they get hurt. The position is already dangerous enough, no need to take those extra risks for the most important position on the field, IMO.

i really think most people had a lot of hesitation with Brock more so because of Jimmy than Trey. Jimmy was a true product of the system and talent. We had seen that rodeo where he starts off hot and then fizzles out. Fortunately for us, Brock elevates the players around him and is a play maker. Hopefully he will continue to improve. I really like how Brock played in the big games, when it mattered most.

Fans and writers also look at the talent on the 49ers roster which is often ranked in the top 5. Some say the offensive talent is #1 or 2. That makes it easier to say that any success is due to the talent around him and the coaching. I agree that it helps but Brock is making the most of it.

Remember this is just the opinion of a group of people. Brock is downgraded consistently by writers and people around the league. Niner fans see something different than the rest of the league. This ranking is no different than a mock draft or a prediction about the next season. Fans shouldn't get too worked up over it. It wouldn't make any difference if they had him ranked #1. His game would still be the same.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't give a sh*t about rankings but if we're talking about them then it makes no sense given the criteria.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, when Joe went to KC, he got them into the playoffs every year he played with Marty. Brock playing with the steelers or with Jim at the chargers would still be a winning playoff QB.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hurts. I do like the kid...just hate Eagles fans so don't want to see the team do well.

How will that OL do without Kelce out there? We'll find out. Yes adding Barkley will help their offense but we'll see if Hurts looks more like the guy last year or if he gets back to form. Either way I'm pretty confident if Jalen was forced to play behind pass pro Brock has seen it would be ugly ugly ugly.

But he's a heck of a fantasy football QB so there's that!

I said all year long before we ended their season last year that Brock and Jalen actually match up super well in terms of the talent around them.

Hurts may not have CMC at RB but his OL being that much better certainly levels the field with Swift and the other guys they had at RB to go with Brown/Smith and Goedert. You don't have to look far to see Eagles fans claiming both Brown and Smith are better than Aiyuk and how Deebo wouldn't be good enough to be their RB3 or WR3.

With Brock it's simple - people see his weapons, they saw what Kyle did with Jimmy G and just look at the numbers. Very few people who actually watch Brock play all the time and in detail have the "system QB" mentality.

Now does Kyle's scheme help Brock? Of course. Does having those weapons help? Of course. Have we seen Brock time and time again make plays out of the scheme or to the backups? Yes.

I have a tough time watching Brock play and thinking that if he went to a worse team that he's Mac Jones. Was Iowa St some loaded roster? The kid was playing well there and playing well vs some top schools. He's a player, I wanted to see more sample from him heading into last season and boy did we get more of a sample.

Anyone who thinks Brock isn't legit is just stuck in draft status and hung up on physical traits.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree, when Joe went to KC, he got them into the playoffs every year he played with Marty. Brock playing with the steelers or with Jim at the chargers would still be a winning playoff QB.

I'm not sure he would be winning with the Chargers. Harbaugh is a big improvement but that defense wasn't very good. I don't care how good the offense is you can't win playoff games without a good defense. The Chargers had some big names that under perform.
CBS has him ranked pretty high. He throws touchdowns and wins games.

• thl408
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
CBS has him ranked pretty high. He throws touchdowns and wins games.

Damn. Every QB you say that to ends up sucking.
Share 49ersWebzone