There are 280 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Let 'em keep discounting Brock. Itll just make his rise to prominence so much more fun.

Yup it's nothing new. At least this offseason we don't have to hear dudes like Orlovsky talk about Darnold being the most talented QB on our roster lol

lol Dak over Burrow. And lol any unproven rookie over Brock Cousins Tua

Dak, Lawrence, Richardson, Murray, Drake Maye. Wow.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 10, 2024 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Let 'em keep discounting Brock. Itll just make his rise to prominence so much more fun.

Yup it's nothing new. At least this offseason we don't have to hear dudes like Orlovsky talk about Darnold being the most talented QB on our roster lol

I don't think the list is correct either. Dak is over paid and hasn't produced a title. He hasn't even won any playoff games. Richardson has barely played so they're going strictly on physical skills. Drake Maye hasn't thrown an NFL pass. Same for Caleb. Including them at this point is silly but it's only their opinin. It changes nothing. There aren't awards being handed out or any bonus money.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He compares favorably with Burrow but I guess they rank Burrow higher based on more years. I don't know if Iagree with that. Burrow has missed a lot of games because of injury and availability is important. Bottomline is I think Brock is going to need another year or two of play like we've seen before people start believing in him. It's hard for many fans to get over the fact that he was the last guy selected in the draft. These evaluations are often done based on physical skills and not won-lost records.

As far as his skills translating to any team, I agree that they would. The difference is other less talented teams ask their QB to run more or make longer more risky throws. That's the part of the game where he falls a little short.

Yeah I agree he's gotta do it one more year before he gets his dues from everyone else. Burrow will always have an edge because of where he was drafted.

overall I don't know many QBs that are regarded as "really good" that play on a s**t team with no talent around them?

I actually think Brock makes too many risky throws not the other way around. He's got a gunslinger mindset…and overall I wouldn't say he's got a true "gun" to make all those throws.
I don't think the list is correct either. Dak is over paid and hasn't produced a title. He hasn't even won any playoff games. Richardson has barely played so they're going strictly on physical skills. Drake Maye hasn't thrown an NFL pass. Same for Caleb. Including them at this point is silly but it's only their opinin. It changes nothing. There aren't awards being handed out or any bonus money.

Richardson can't play in the pocket and go through progressions. He's good for fantasy football and a couple big highlight plays. Dude will take a while (if ever) to be a consistent QB.

IMO I think Dak is a good QB. His HC is dogs**t. Whatever with the rookies that haven't even played yet lol. Holy projection

They are just going on physical skills and combine stuff. Not processing, decision making, anticipation, timing and accuracy. Where Purdy is great. They don't really measure the categories where Purdy excels. That's the problem.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Richardson can't play in the pocket and go through progressions. He's good for fantasy football and a couple big highlight plays. Dude will take a while (if ever) to be a consistent QB.

IMO I think Dak is a good QB. His HC is dogs**t. Whatever with the rookies that haven't even played yet lol. Holy projection

He's a really intriguing prospect because of his size/speed/arm strength combo but he's very green. Needs a lot of work to play NFL football on a high level. He's a bigger version of Lamar Jackson and Justin Fields but not as good as either one at this point. I agree that Dak is pretty good but he hasn't been able to make the guys around him better. That's a trait that really good QBs have.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Like a video in a earlier post talking about how Kaleb Williams will be surrounded by top notch talent like Brock and if he has a stellar rookie year they will be slobbering all over his accomplishments and never bring up the talent around him aspect.
The people that did the draft at the Athletic are probably factoring in what Brock is scheduled to make with the new contract. As good as Brock is we have to be honest when we evaluate him. Would he be nearly as good with most other teams? Probably not. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense but he's not the type of QB that's going to go out and carry the team on his back without a lot of support. Mahomes was able to win last year without a good receiving core other than Kelce. Their running game was average at best. The 49ers offensive weapons were far better than KC's. I'm not saying Brock is only succeeding because of the weapons he has. They certainly help but he has the mental makeup to use them the way Kyle likes. If he was with a team that lacked the talent and had to improvise more I don't think he would be as successful. Some guys get by with athleticism and some do it with smart play. Brock is in the 2nd category.

Brock is both athletic and smart.
Originally posted by bud49:
Like a video in a earlier post talking about how Kaleb Williams will be surrounded by top notch talent like Brock and if he has a stellar rookie year they will be slobbering all over his accomplishments and never bring up the talent around him aspect.

To be fair, it's not just the talent. It's the system.

I'm not saying Brock is getting too much credit or not enough… but we can acknowledge that he has probably the easiest job of any starting QB in the NFL. It's a testament to how good of an offensive coach we have, and the talent around the QB as well. It's a good thing regardless of a need to fight about where QBs rank online.
Here's the truth about the sports talk media: They know they've hit gold with Purdy discussions, because they can say he's got x limitations and Purdy fans will click and be mad, and then click some more. So they'll keep saying it. He could win five straight Super Bowls and it will only mean they say it more, because those clicks will get even more valuable.

Don't feed the trolls.

CBS has him ranked pretty high. He throws touchdowns and wins games.

Damn. Every QB you say that to ends up sucking.

We're screwed now 😭
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The people that did the draft at the Athletic are probably factoring in what Brock is scheduled to make with the new contract. As good as Brock is we have to be honest when we evaluate him. Would he be nearly as good with most other teams? Probably not. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense but he's not the type of QB that's going to go out and carry the team on his back without a lot of support. Mahomes was able to win last year without a good receiving core other than Kelce. Their running game was average at best. The 49ers offensive weapons were far better than KC's. I'm not saying Brock is only succeeding because of the weapons he has. They certainly help but he has the mental makeup to use them the way Kyle likes. If he was with a team that lacked the talent and had to improvise more I don't think he would be as successful. Some guys get by with athleticism and some do it with smart play. Brock is in the 2nd category.

Meh I kinda disagree there. What he's actually really good at will translate across the league. Elite processing, great vs pressure, good fundamentals (overall), accurate, high football IQ. It's no different than what Joe Burrow is good at and I don't think anyone would say he's gonna stink if he goes elsewhere. It's not like Burrow has elite measurables or an elite arm (he most certainly doesn't). It's not like he's some crazy athlete who can scramble for 100 yards a game either.

A QB's surroundings are what will make you better/have success. All that stuff matters regardless if your Brock or Josh Allen.

Agree, when Joe went to KC, he got them into the playoffs every year he played with Marty. Brock playing with the steelers or with Jim at the chargers would still be a winning playoff QB.

I'm not sure he would be winning with the Chargers. Harbaugh is a big improvement but that defense wasn't very good. I don't care how good the offense is you can't win playoff games without a good defense. The Chargers had some big names that under perform.

Well then, they sure sound like the 49ers a year before Jim came to Santa Clara. I still think Jim Harbaugh and Brock Purdy could make the playoffs. Keep in mind Jimmy comes in to a 1-10 team and rips off 5 straight wins, and Jimmy supposedly can't even hold Purdys jock strap. So anything is possible with a talented coach and QB.
Agree, don't feed the trolls
Also Choke Joke Dak sucks lol
Originally posted by Montana:
Agree, don't feed the trolls
Also Choke Joke Dak sucks lol

He may not be an elite QB, but he doesn't suck lol
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bud49:

To be fair, it's not just the talent. It's the system.

I'm not saying Brock is getting too much credit or not enough… but we can acknowledge that he has probably the easiest job of any starting QB in the NFL. It's a testament to how good of an offensive coach we have, and the talent around the QB as well. It's a good thing regardless of a need to fight about where QBs rank online.
I too think he plays in a great system. But most of the talking heads just mentioned the talent aspect. Lombardi was on my local sports talk, speaking about the Titans and Will Levis, and it was brought up that the Titans had signed some good WR's to help Levis this year. Lombardi disagreed that the WR's would make Levis better he stated that the QB makes the WR better. Which I have seen WR's play with different QB's and have different outcomes in those situations.

I don't put much confidence in QB rankings. I just don't like the fact they move the goal posts on Brock last year after every time he proved them wrong
[ Edited by bud49 on May 10, 2024 at 7:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone