There are 365 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by bud49:
Like a video in a earlier post talking about how Kaleb Williams will be surrounded by top notch talent like Brock and if he has a stellar rookie year they will be slobbering all over his accomplishments and never bring up the talent around him aspect.

To be fair, it's not just the talent. It's the system.

I'm not saying Brock is getting too much credit or not enough… but we can acknowledge that he has probably the easiest job of any starting QB in the NFL. It's a testament to how good of an offensive coach we have, and the talent around the QB as well. It's a good thing regardless of a need to fight about where QBs rank online.
I too think he plays in a great system. But most of the talking heads just mentioned the talent aspect. Lombardi was on my local sports talk, speaking about the Titans and Will Levis, and it was brought up that the Titans had signed some good WR's to help Levis this year. Lombardi disagreed that the WR's would make Levis better he stated that the QB makes the WR better. Which I have seen WR's play with different QB's and have different outcomes in those situations.

I don't put much confidence in QB rankings. I just don't like the fact they move the goal posts on Brock last year after every time he proved them wrong

Yup . Brock will continue prove the naysayers wrong. One argument that chapped my hide last year was people saying he couldn't do a come from behind win. Well he did that, and in the playoffs nonetheless - and people are still questioning his abilities. It's amazing how some folks are so ignorant In social-media land.
[ Edited by Giedi on May 11, 2024 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yup . Brock will continue prove the naysayers wrong. One argument that chapped my hide last year was people saying he couldn't do a come from behind win. Well he did that, and in the playoffs nonetheless - and people are still questioning his abilities. It's amazing how some folks are so ignorant In social-media land.

Lots of punchable faces last season! Lol but they get paid to have that punchability about them. Best to just ignore and enjoy the ride, that is Brock Purdy
Interesting how Logan was saying how it was clear how much Kyle loves Brock. Pretty cool.

he said Kyle was super impressed with Brock in the ravens game, how he never gave up or got timid.
That's always going to be a problem otherwise every QB picked in the draft will be a guaranteed all-pro. So others folks saying Brock isn't good is just going to have to deal with Brock winning a ton of games in his career.

What is amazing to me is his downfield accuracy. It is just amazing. It's not so much his arm that gets results in the long-ball but his anticipation and accuracy. Kyle is almost treating Brock as having a Kaepernick arm with all the deep ball threats he's drafted this offseason.

I mean I don't think Brock's downfield accuracy is elite or anything. It's better than most expected which is awesome. It's also something that he can improve upon.

the good thing is he did improve as the season went on

[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 12, 2024 at 5:12 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
That's always going to be a problem otherwise every QB picked in the draft will be a guaranteed all-pro. So others folks saying Brock isn't good is just going to have to deal with Brock winning a ton of games in his career.

What is amazing to me is his downfield accuracy. It is just amazing. It's not so much his arm that gets results in the long-ball but his anticipation and accuracy. Kyle is almost treating Brock as having a Kaepernick arm with all the deep ball threats he's drafted this offseason.

I mean I don't think Brock's downfield accuracy is elite or anything. It's better than most expected which is awesome. It's also something that he can improve upon.

I noticed a lot of the long passes are off of play action and zero coverage blitzes. This guy is a gem that can punish defenses if they overload or get fooled. I know this offense is going to score points, but I just hope the defense - without Greenlaw and Armstead - can keep pace with the offense and is able to get us back into the championship game.

I noticed a lot of the long passes are off of play action and zero coverage blitzes. This guy is a gem that can punish defenses if they overload or get fooled. I know this offense is going to score points, but I just hope the defense - without Greenlaw and Armstead - can keep pace with the offense and is able to get us back into the championship game.

Yeah he's well on his way to be a damn good QB for a while. I'm not worried about the D. We still have elite guys at every level on D. Gotta keep developing

Yeah he's well on his way to be a damn good QB for a while. I'm not worried about the D. We still have elite guys at every level on D. Gotta keep developing

It gets harder every year to keep making the NFC title game. The good teams struggle to keep players that want more money or playing time while the teams behind them keep getting talented young guys with the high draft picks. The NFL has designed it so the teams can be as equal as possible. Every year we see some teams fall off a bit and others taking a jump up. The Niners have been in that top level now for some time. They can't stay there forever so they need that SB win in the next couple of years. They're going to start losing some of their best players like Williams, CMC, Kittle and either Deebo or Aiyuk.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It gets harder every year to keep making the NFC title game. The good teams struggle to keep players that want more money or playing time while the teams behind them keep getting talented young guys with the high draft picks. The NFL has designed it so the teams can be as equal as possible. Every year we see some teams fall off a bit and others taking a jump up. The Niners have been in that top level now for some time. They can't stay there forever so they need that SB win in the next couple of years. They're going to start losing some of their best players like Williams, CMC, Kittle and either Deebo or Aiyuk.

Yeah, that's part of keep developing and drafting well.
Outside of having an elite gb - it's the only way to staying in contention for the chip every year.

brady took quite a few teams to the SB that really the roster wasn't great (specifically D), just great coaching and gb play. Mahommes did it this last year - they had a really good defense but the offense was really average most of the year.

we just need our young guys to step up and Brock to keep getting better and we can go on a 10 year run of always being in contention. I think our biggest issue is going to be Detroit but I believe that if our new DC gets our guys heads on right, we can handle Goff.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Yeah, that's part of keep developing and drafting well.
Outside of having an elite gb - it's the only way to staying in contention for the chip every year.

brady took quite a few teams to the SB that really the roster wasn't great (specifically D), just great coaching and gb play. Mahommes did it this last year - they had a really good defense but the offense was really average most of the year.

we just need our young guys to step up and Brock to keep getting better and we can go on a 10 year run of always being in contention. I think our biggest issue is going to be Detroit but I believe that if our new DC gets our guys heads on right, we can handle Goff.

The problem is that when you make the playoffs every year you're going to be drafting late in every round barring a trade. You find some good players late in rounds but it's not going to happen every year. The team has to really do its homework and even then they have to get lucky and hope the guy they target isn't taken before they pick like what happened this year.
The problem is that when you make the playoffs every year you're going to be drafting late in every round barring a trade. You find some good players late in rounds but it's not going to happen every year. The team has to really do its homework and even then they have to get lucky and hope the guy they target isn't taken before they pick like what happened this year.

Well you're not going to be getting "blue chip" prospects but the reality is that we've missed on all the "blue chips" anyways - outside of bosa. It's about identifying talent that fits your scheme best and developing them. That could be done in any round, at any pick, including UDFA.

thats really what's saved this teams ass over the years. The mid-late round picks and UDFA and vet signings.

we've only had 4 picks out of like 30+ in the first three rounds work out - bosa, Aiyuk, Deebo (2nd), and Warner (3rd).

so if we just keep doing what we've done - we will be golden. Couple that with a franchise qb and we are in great shape.

I just heard someone say "talking about championships from a long time ago is like an 80 year old talking about the girls he slept with in his 20s - falls flat with the youngsters". Lmao so true.

BRING US A DAMN CHIP BROCK! 😭
I just heard someone say "talking about championships from a long time ago is like an 80 year old talking about the girls he slept with in his 20s - falls flat with the youngsters". Lmao so true.

Anything that's older than 10 years ago falls flat on the youngsters.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 13, 2024 at 8:42 AM ]

Anything that's older than 10 years ago falls flat on the youngsters.

Got in a debate with some packer fan on X….I know I know stupid. He was s**tting on Brock(the whole love vs Brock debate) and called us all losers lol. I was like hold the phone…ya"ll lost to SF the past five times you've made it to the playoffs lol. His rebuttal was they won a SB more recently hahaha. We're talking over a decade here. So I then said that must mean Tampa Bay and NYG are better than the packers because they won one "more recently" & I tossed out we got more rings.

Folks runner their mouths about SF losing a SB yet they don't even get there lol. Acting like that's some gotcha moment for 49er fans. I'll take trips to the NFCC and SB over losing in the first rd or not ever getting in the playoffs to begin with.
To add onto the Love vs Brock debate….I have plenty of friends that are GB fans. Not a single one of them were on the Love train for the first half of the year. Dude was labeled a bust. Shockingly he plays some football and gets better…who would have thought?

brock came right in and played well and I think that's the difference between the two.
Share 49ersWebzone