There are 358 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
I just heard someone say "talking about championships from a long time ago is like an 80 year old talking about the girls he slept with in his 20s - falls flat with the youngsters". Lmao so true.

BRING US A DAMN CHIP BROCK! 😭

I've been lucky enough to see all the Superbowl wins and losses. Been in since the 70's, Go 49ers!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
To add onto the Love vs Brock debate….I have plenty of friends that are GB fans. Not a single one of them were on the Love train for the first half of the year. Dude was labeled a bust. Shockingly he plays some football and gets better…who would have thought?

brock came right in and played well and I think that's the difference between the two.

All I'm saying is flip the teams and see how each guy does. Problem is we can't do that.

But I bet if you asked Brock would he rather have the top 5 level pass pro Love had with GB to go with the youth but talent at WR/TE/RB positions that GB also had vs just having the inferior pass pro but so called Avengers at receiver, I feel like he'd choose GB situation.

Pass pro is the biggest thing for QB play. Granted you can't have total scrubs as your playmakers either but GB was certainly a team who had good talent on offense with good depth. Love wasn't exactly elite when pressured...we saw that in our own game.
This f**king guy lol

Originally posted by genus49:
All I'm saying is flip the teams and see how each guy does. Problem is we can't do that.

But I bet if you asked Brock would he rather have the top 5 level pass pro Love had with GB to go with the youth but talent at WR/TE/RB positions that GB also had vs just having the inferior pass pro but so called Avengers at receiver, I feel like he'd choose GB situation.

Pass pro is the biggest thing for QB play. Granted you can't have total scrubs as your playmakers either but GB was certainly a team who had good talent on offense with good depth. Love wasn't exactly elite when pressured...we saw that in our own game.

I mean outside of Morgan (who has no business being a LT) and Jenkins they haven't spent a bunch of money or draft picks on OL.

They've drafted well there and got some good young WRs. I think Love is a good QB, he just needed to play football. We should be having some battles for years to come with them….again

Logan Ryan is right.
Got in a debate with some packer fan on X….I know I know stupid. He was s**tting on Brock(the whole love vs Brock debate) and called us all losers lol. I was like hold the phone…ya"ll lost to SF the past five times you've made it to the playoffs lol. His rebuttal was they won a SB more recently hahaha. We're talking over a decade here. So I then said that must mean Tampa Bay and NYG are better than the packers because they won one "more recently" & I tossed out we got more rings.

Folks runner their mouths about SF losing a SB yet they don't even get there lol. Acting like that's some gotcha moment for 49er fans. I'll take trips to the NFCC and SB over losing in the first rd or not ever getting in the playoffs to begin with.

The difference between the packers and 49ers last season are this
-Packers played a great game (outside of their qb, he wasn't bad but was average outside of our Dbs falling).
- our defense had arguably its worst performance as a whole
- our qb played like an elite qb, especially when it mattered most, unlike love.

in summary, our team had a horrible performance relative to their capability and the pack played way better than they typically did, except our qb played like an elite player when we needed him most.
This f**king guy lol

He's such an everyday dude, it's pretty cool. Jimmy was a GQ guy and kap was similar. It's kinda refreshing to have an everyday kinda guy to be ballin out and representing us.

well and everyday white guy. Hahaha
I mean outside of Morgan (who has no business being a LT) and Jenkins they haven't spent a bunch of money or draft picks on OL.

They've drafted well there and got some good young WRs. I think Love is a good QB, he just needed to play football. We should be having some battles for years to come with them….again

Reality is he sat 3 years and developed in that time frame. You can chart his game vs KC and his game vs PHI. Everyone who watched noted he looked way better vs PHI. I got tipped on Love when 33rd team ran a piece praising him over a year ago, it was Martz he said bet the farm on Love, turns out that man knows a thing or two. PHI, GB, DAL, RAMS are the teams to watch along with DET
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's always going to be a problem otherwise every QB picked in the draft will be a guaranteed all-pro. So others folks saying Brock isn't good is just going to have to deal with Brock winning a ton of games in his career.

What is amazing to me is his downfield accuracy. It is just amazing. It's not so much his arm that gets results in the long-ball but his anticipation and accuracy. Kyle is almost treating Brock as having a Kaepernick arm with all the deep ball threats he's drafted this offseason.

I mean I don't think Brock's downfield accuracy is elite or anything. It's better than most expected which is awesome. It's also something that he can improve upon.

the good thing is he did improve as the season went on

I noticed a lot of the long passes are off of play action and zero coverage blitzes. This guy is a gem that can punish defenses if they overload or get fooled. I know this offense is going to score points, but I just hope the defense - without Greenlaw and Armstead - can keep pace with the offense and is able to get us back into the championship game.

Yeah he's well on his way to be a damn good QB for a while. I'm not worried about the D. We still have elite guys at every level on D. Gotta keep developing

A big part of the D was turnovers, and I think we had pretty close to the top in terms of turnover differential on that side. Hope that continues. That will give Brock more chances to score and break his own 49er scoring and yardage records.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
To add onto the Love vs Brock debate….I have plenty of friends that are GB fans. Not a single one of them were on the Love train for the first half of the year. Dude was labeled a bust. Shockingly he plays some football and gets better…who would have thought?

brock came right in and played well and I think that's the difference between the two.

I agree. Without time to throw, Brock's going to have to use his legs.

I would encourage him to develop the Brady trait of having a plan for every play, some of Brady's best plays were free rusher and he finds his outlet and puts the ball 2 feet short in the dirt, it's intentional but it's no flag as the receiver is in the area. Elite ones limit how often they get squared up with their awareness and that's a guy without nearly the mobility of Brock. Now Jimmy lacked this, and Trey didn't know what the heck he was doing, so it's been a long time since we had this kind of QB

Does he really have that scrambling ability? I'm not sure because we saw it in the Detroit game but I don't think they were ready for it. Why would they be when he hadn't shown it much all year. Brock isn't going to make his living scrambling. If he has to do it a lot then the Niners aren't going to win. That's not their plan.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Does he really have that scrambling ability? I'm not sure because we saw it in the Detroit game but I don't think they were ready for it. Why would they be when he hadn't shown it much all year. Brock isn't going to make his living scrambling. If he has to do it a lot then the Niners aren't going to win. That's not their plan.

yeah he does, he has plays like the infamous incompletion vs SEA, where he keeps the play alive for a very extended period of time. He was juking pass rushers in his first start. He has pretty good short area quickness. I don't think anyone is talking about him piling up rushing yds. The talk is him extending plays or buying time.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Agree he's not going to be Cam Newton in terms of scrambling ability. The Kyle Shanahan run game is always a handy crutch for Brock to call on if he feels a zero blitz coming and he has no hot route or alerts built in to the play call. In other words, *run the Damn Ball* Brock if you can see that you have no passing answers to a particular defense. Go to the ground. Either with his legs or with a RB.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I would encourage him to develop the Brady trait of having a plan for every play, some of Brady's best plays were free rusher and he finds his outlet and puts the ball 2 feet short in the dirt, it's intentional but it's no flag as the receiver is in the area. Elite ones limit how often they get squared up with their awareness and that's a guy without nearly the mobility of Brock. Now Jimmy lacked this, and Trey didn't know what the heck he was doing, so it's been a long time since we had this kind of QB
Yes, Brady was a master at limiting those blitz defenses. The way Spagnuolo and Mike MacDonald confused Purdy in those game losses, was that pesky zone blitz. Just delving a little into what these two defenses do - these defense do a pretty good job of pattern matching and zone blitzing and simulated pressures from all sorts of positions. They really manipulate and destroy the OLine pass blocking rules the way Kyle likes to manipulate and destroy defensive coverage concepts. That specially hurts when Feliciano goes down because of injury and you have to play Burford - who's not particularly great at picking up the protection changes - into the game.
This f**king guy lol

He's such an everyday dude, it's pretty cool. Jimmy was a GQ guy and kap was similar. It's kinda refreshing to have an everyday kinda guy to be ballin out and representing us.

well and everyday white guy. Hahaha

I mean I couldn't care less if he's GQ or Marty McFly lol. Just play well.
Share 49ersWebzone