There are 283 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What QB eats Jack n the Box? Garbage stuff lol
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
I feel pretty damn confident in knowing whats gonna happen. Brock gonna get paid. We're gonna lose key weapons and he's gonna look pedestrian. Thats not a dig against him, i just think we'll see more of the purdy we saw when deebo and Trent were out. The teams gonna be locked into purdy and we're just gonna limp through his contract, maybe contending for a playoff spot, not any more than that.

Eh.....is what it is........

All depends on drafting. Losing Trent last year was a huge blow because he was our only good lineman. Is it still going to be Jalen Moore stepping in when Trent retires?

He played without Deebo his rookie year and was fine. Played without Aiyuk against NYG and had a good game. Just gotta get some real starting OL on this team before Trent retires and we'll be fine
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 14, 2024 at 4:05 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I feel pretty damn confident in knowing whats gonna happen. Brock gonna get paid. We're gonna lose key weapons and he's gonna look pedestrian. Thats not a dig against him, i just think we'll see more of the purdy we saw when deebo and Trent were out. The teams gonna be locked into purdy and we're just gonna limp through his contract, maybe contending for a playoff spot, not any more than that.

All depends on drafting. Losing Trent last year was a huge blow because he was our only good lineman. Is it still going to be Jalen Moore stepping in when Trent retires?

He played without Deebo his rookie year and was fine. Played without Aiyuk against NYG and had a good game. Just gotta get some real starting OL on this team before Trent retires and we'll be fine

A timing qb struggles when he loses the receiver he's created his timing with? You don't say 🤔
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

A timing qb struggles when he loses the receiver he's created his timing with? You don't say 🤔

He's been okay when missing a receiver when Trent is healthy. The real struggles come when Moore and McKivitz are the bookends. Even CMC struggles with that line
Originally posted by Montana:

lol who ate Jack? He must of been hammered and got like 20 of the tacos
He's been okay when missing a receiver when Trent is healthy. The real struggles come when Moore and McKivitz are the bookends. Even CMC struggles with that line

Jesus Christ would struggle behind that line. Specially with Burford at RG.
Jared Goff just signed a new contract. 4 years at $212 million with $170 million guaranteed. That just drove up Brock's price. I don't know who else is due but I suspect we'll see $60 million per year in the next year.

Is it time to do away with the salary cap? Keep in mind that it was created largely because of Eddie D and his willingness to spend. At the time many teams were still family owned. Now nearly every team is owned by a billionaire or a corporation of billionaires. They can all afford to pay as much as is needed. With the way the salaries are escalating for QBs and certain skill positions it won't be long before 3 or 4 players are eating over half the payroll. It's going to get harder to retain the talent around these stars that's needed to protect them and build a winner.

Maybe they go to a system like the NBA with a soft cap and a luxury tax. One player making $50 mil and 3 others at around $30 mil is $140 million. The cap is around $255 million. That leaves about $115 million for 49 players. That doesn't equated to long term success. It leaves a lot of players feeling underpaid. If they go to the NBA model they can pay some of the supporting players an extra $5 million or so if it means keeping them.

These billionaires can afford it. They just need to meet and change the rules. If it means keeping their high priced QB in one piece it would be worth it.
Originally posted by tankle104:

the Big Chicken Brock, now at select JiB locations
Originally posted by Waterbear:
4th and San Carlos… most dangerous street in San Jose? I got so many notifications of shootings from that street when I lived near there.

I went to SJSU at the time, I wouldn't consider it super dangerous as I had no problem walking to La Victoria to get food at 1:30am but that's also around the time Thursdays and Fridays the bars closed down so it was mostly hooligans under the influence of alcohol acting stupid... occasionally it escalated but when I was out there I never saw a gun pulled out.

But yes, Jeff Garcia got arrested at that Jack in the Box

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Drunken-driving-arrest-for-Garcia-Jailed-and-2812225.php

I don't think Brock will get into that kind of trouble after he gets paid... maybe get carried out of a buddy's wedding for being drunk but never in public like this
Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
4th and San Carlos… most dangerous street in San Jose? I got so many notifications of shootings from that street when I lived near there.

I went to SJSU at the time, I wouldn't consider it super dangerous as I had no problem walking to La Victoria to get food at 1:30am but that's also around the time Thursdays and Fridays the bars closed down so it was mostly hooligans under the influence of alcohol acting stupid... occasionally it escalated but when I was out there I never saw a gun pulled out.

But yes, Jeff Garcia got arrested at that Jack in the Box

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Drunken-driving-arrest-for-Garcia-Jailed-and-2812225.php

I don't think Brock will get into that kind of trouble after he gets paid... maybe get carried out of a buddy's wedding for being drunk but never in public like this

i thought you were referring to something recent, that arrest seems to be 20 years ago

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:

the Big Chicken Brock, now at select JiB locations

Lol I know what I'm forcing the company to use for catering lunch now
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Jared Goff just signed a new contract. 4 years at $212 million with $170 million guaranteed. That just drove up Brock's price. I don't know who else is due but I suspect we'll see $60 million per year in the next year.

Is it time to do away with the salary cap? Keep in mind that it was created largely because of Eddie D and his willingness to spend. At the time many teams were still family owned. Now nearly every team is owned by a billionaire or a corporation of billionaires. They can all afford to pay as much as is needed. With the way the salaries are escalating for QBs and certain skill positions it won't be long before 3 or 4 players are eating over half the payroll. It's going to get harder to retain the talent around these stars that's needed to protect them and build a winner.

Maybe they go to a system like the NBA with a soft cap and a luxury tax. One player making $50 mil and 3 others at around $30 mil is $140 million. The cap is around $255 million. That leaves about $115 million for 49 players. That doesn't equated to long term success. It leaves a lot of players feeling underpaid. If they go to the NBA model they can pay some of the supporting players an extra $5 million or so if it means keeping them.

These billionaires can afford it. They just need to meet and change the rules. If it means keeping their high priced QB in one piece it would be worth it.

Setting new cap rules will involve complex negotiations with the NFLPA. I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

49ers are going to be ok - *cap wise* - so long as they continue to draft as well as they have these past several years. Deebo and Aiyuk were once rookies and now are super-stars. Brock was once Mr. Irrelevant - he's also now a superstar. As long as the 49ers continue to draft well, they can afford to lose (for example) guys like Armstead, Buckner, Staley and still make the playoffs and Superbowl.

As for Brock's cap hit, it's going to be painful, but again, if the 49ers draft well - that's not going to be an issue. If they hit on a left tackle next year (for example - they find Trent Williams 2.0 in the 2nd or 3rd round), well they can let Trent Willaims 1.0 go - and move that cap space to Brock.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Absolutely not. The salary cap is what keeps s**t honest and allows parody.

baseball and basketball f**king blow because there is no hard cap. Players control the whole league and make everything about them and where they want to play. The stadiums are half empty all the damn time.

These billionaires are still paying hundreds of millions of dollars annually. they have vastly more players to pay than either baseball or basketball.

The cap is just the players money anyway. It's their piece of the revenue pie and the owners HAVE to use it or it gets dissolved back into the league and spread out among the players. The only thing the owners control is how the divide their cap up and the signing bonuses…if you got a owner willing to dish out a high end signing bonus you can essentially spread out that cap hit BUT the player gets more real cash up front. The owner has to have that real cash to give him.

Also for the love of god stop using APY to determine anything…no single player is getting paid $50M every yr of their contract. Most of those high end cap hit are not real numbers that will ever get applied to a teams cap for more then one yr.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 14, 2024 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Setting new cap rules will involve complex negotiations with the NFLPA. I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

49ers are going to be ok - *cap wise* - so long as they continue to draft as well as they have these past several years. Deebo and Aiyuk were once rookies and now are super-stars. Brock was once Mr. Irrelevant - he's also now a superstar. As long as the 49ers continue to draft well, they can afford to lose (for example) guys like Armstead, Buckner, Staley and still make the playoffs and Superbowl.

As for Brock's cap hit, it's going to be painful, but again, if the 49ers draft well - that's not going to be an issue. If they hit on a left tackle next year (for example - they find Trent Williams 2.0 in the 2nd or 3rd round), well they can let Trent Willaims 1.0 go - and move that cap space to Brock.

Not sure why people worry about the cap….we see teams like Philly and NO be like $75-$80M over the cap and get under within a week. I don't even think the saints lost a single meaningful player last time.

You got players worth paying for…pay them. If they're still worth the money down the road pay them again and continue to lower their cap hit with restructures. Its really not a big deal
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Absolutely not. The salary cap is what keeps s**t honest and allows parody.

baseball and basketball f**king blow because there is no hard cap. Players control the whole league and make everything about them and where they want to play. The stadiums are half empty all the damn time.

These billionaires are still paying hundreds of millions of dollars annually. they have vastly more players to pay than either baseball or basketball.

The cap is just the players money anyway. It's their piece of the revenue pie and the owners HAVE to use it or it gets dissolved back into the league and spread out among the players. The only thing the owners control is how the divide their cap up and the signing bonuses…if you got a owner willing to dish out a high end signing bonus you can essentially spread out that cap hit BUT the player gets more real cash up front. The owner has to have that real cash to give him.

Also for the love of god stop using APY to determine anything…no single player is getting paid $50M every yr other contract. Most of those high end cap hit are not real numbers that will ever get applied to a teams cap for more then one yr.

Yeah, the hard cap has its cons (like losing players you'd want to keep) but it's a major factor in what makes the league as competitive as it is. Otherwise, you'll see more super teams. Very rarely do you see a team bought, and if they do, it usually only lasts a season or two and they mortgage a few years.

for anyone that needs a reference on what NY means by the APY, go look at Jalen hurts contract. He's averaging $50M+ a year and it doesn't go over $30M a year until like 6 years from when he signed it. Tons of ways to move the numbers around but eventually his cap hit is nearly $100M in one year - which I'm sure will be adjusted.

overall, I love it when players get life changing money and happy for them, but taking a massive portion of a hard salary cap to one player makes winning a chip very hard. I think the qb market needs to relax. Even with the cap going up, there are numerous other positions that deserve to get paid too. Qb salaries are outta control
Share 49ersWebzone