There are 286 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Lol @ Temecula, I get candles from there sometimes.

Lol Jimmy..I remember being at the Raiders/9ers pre-season last yr and we lost the game. A girl comes up to me, gives my Purdy jersey the stink eye and cries, "We should have kept Jimmy!" I looked at her is disbelief lol and said, "Naa Purdy is the guy." Ya wouldn't believe how much drama was at a pre-season game lol. Lance pretty much melted in that game though lol.

you said it. purdy seems legit and with him goes a lot of our hope to get this SB won
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
you said it. purdy seems legit and with him goes a lot of our hope to get this SB won

Yep, I am hopeful we get it in the next few years. Hopefully, in Santa Clara! That would be dreamy.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by genus49:
This is never going to happen and every fanbase has these hopes that their guy will play for well below market value.

I think at most he will take a team friendly deal to ensure we won't get handicapped from adding players but he's not going to take $10+ million less than guys he's better than.

The Lions didn't play the "well you're only playing this well cuz of our scheme, running game, OL and receivers"

They paid the guy they felt helped them win games. No

49ers are in a great spot where they will hopefully get to see a full 2.5 seasons of starts from Brock and 9-10 playoff games and SB win before they can even try to extend him.

We were in a tough spot with Kap, I believe it was 1.5 years from him before he got paid. Jimmy was even crazier cuz we only got to see 5 starts from him.

If Brock makes that big contract it's because he's 100% good enough to make that much. That's a really good thing for the 49ers.

Good points in this post. And agree. I don't think he should take a deal..and I wouldn't expect him to. 40 ml..naaa that is not enough. We have gotten a damn bargain from him. Time to pay the man what he deserves. 50-55 ml sounds about right? We shall see.

lol did we do that with Jimmy?

it's not about Brock not deserving every dollar he can get, it's about building a sustainable team. Once we pay him, it will instantly make other parts of the roster weaker (unless we keep finding all pros in the draft - which is historically unlikely). Which puts more stress on him to carry the team.

look at all these teams paying QBs big money. Only one that's had success winning multiple chips once they pay big qb money are the chiefs and that's with one of the best qbs of all time, already. Brady was the perfect example - be a top notch player but not try to break the market so he can always have a little extra money to build around him. Thats Brock's and the 49ers best chance at winning a Super Bowl for the long haul.

Idk why people act like him still making hundreds of millions of dollars is like him getting screwed over somehow? Lol that isn't including for the field stuff.

im hoping he makes hundreds of millions during his career instead of "hundreds of millions plus a few more million".

I guarantee he will take a more team friendly deal than people believe. I think Hes going to get paid a ton but won't be resetting the market and it'll be in a super friendly structure like Jalen hurts did.

No we didn't do that with Jimmy. Jimmy got paid after 5 games here.

im sure Brock isn't looking to take the franchise hostage but just don't expect any major discounts.
Originally posted by genus49:
No we didn't do that with Jimmy. Jimmy got paid after 5 games here.

im sure Brock isn't looking to take the franchise hostage but just don't expect any major discounts.

The problem with the qb market is how fast the going rate for QBs is rising, IMO. It went from $25M a year with Jimmy to $50M+ a year in just 4-5 seasons. So who knows where it'll be this time next year.

I just hope that it's a good deal for both. I'm not expecting a major discount but if he can take 10-15% less than the max he can demand - that would be huge for helping keep talent around him.

I want Brock to get paid, and he deserves it. I just believe there will be a happy medium where he gets really rich and we do it in a sustainable way for the overall talent on the team.
I expect the 49ers to do drive a hard bargain in negotiations with Brock. Obviously if he has another MVP type year and we win the SB, it will be tough. have to wait and see what this year looks like. I find it hard to believe another team would offer top of the market money to him, as it stands now.
Man :/ our best chance to win a Super Bowl has passed, why even bother watching/following the season… lets pack it in, boys (and Montana)
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I expect the 49ers to do drive a hard bargain in negotiations with Brock. Obviously if he has another MVP type year and we win the SB, it will be tough. have to wait and see what this year looks like. I find it hard to believe another team would offer top of the market money to him, as it stands now.

There is always a desperate team that will overpay for a quality gb, look what the falcons just did with an old ass busted mediocre cousins.

I think it's great that we get to see Brock for another whole year before making that decision, we will learn a lot this year - specifically consistency and what kind of improvements he makes.

im very optimistic about him but who knows. I tend to believe that an actual off season for him will help a lot.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 15, 2024 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
There is always a desperate team that will overpay for a quality gb, look what the falcons just did with an old ass busted mediocre cousins.

I think it's great that we get to see Brock for another whole year before making that decision, we will learn a lot this year - specifically consistency and what kind of improvements he makes.

im very optimistic about him but who knows. I tend to believe that an actual off season for him will help a lot.

I was speaking more from a negotiating perspective. The 49ers aren't just going to give him a top deal because it's a thing to do (though Jed should keep his mouth closed).

I personally think it's likely that Cousins, and even Goff, are viewed as better QBs in a current free agent market. I don't agree, especially about Goff. Whether that's true or not, another year is going to work to answer that question.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Brock's biggest hurdle will be Kyle Michael Shanahan.
Originally posted by Koldo:

Lol… such a wild take. So bad.

Ya the guy who had a hand in drafting him, developing him, calling his plays, and made him into a household name. So dumb lmao

it will be an interesting negotiation. a comp may be Kurt Warner, who was undrafted, and had an unforgettable 99 season. He was then put in the elite tier on QB pay. Course he won league MVP and SB MVP, neither of which BP did, (he came close!)

we'll have to see how next year goes as you say. he will be plenty motivated
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on May 15, 2024 at 4:02 PM ]
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Lol… such a wild take. So bad.

It's wild but it holds some truth.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Ya the guy who had a hand in drafting him, developing him, calling his plays, and made him into a household name. So dumb lmao

Did you miss me, son?

All jokes aside, the main reason the 49ers and Kyle made it to the last two NFCCG's and the last SB was Brock Purdy; Shanny's play calling, particularly in the playoffs, was awful.
It's wild but it holds some truth.

It holds zero truth at this point in time.
Share 49ersWebzone