There are 270 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think situations like the end of the packers game, he made some HUGE runs that really helped us win that game. Some tough runs too.

thats why I always call him "Dirty Purdy" cause he's done some defenders dirty with his legs. Lol

Yeah, definitely had some Steve Young vibes with those runs in the GB game. I was expecting them to use his legs more in the SB..I was expecting a lot of things in the SB lol..in the end..it was a bit like flat soda, disappointing lol
Hopefully, next time better calls, less mistakes, no fumbles or injury setbacks...oh and win would be cool too lol

This is going to be a great year. Just need to enjoy it as it goes and root our asses off. If the guys can play clean, complimentary football, we have a great chance.

we also have a budding super star qb, IMO. So that's exciting
This is going to be a great year. Just need to enjoy it as it goes and root our asses off. If the guys can play clean, complimentary football, we have a great chance.

we also have a budding super star qb, IMO. So that's exciting

I want to see machine-like efficiency on offense plowing teams like during Steve Young''s quest for the prize.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on May 17, 2024 at 9:16 PM ]
https://ftnfantasy.com/nfl/qbs-under-pressure-in-2023

The Obligatory Brock Purdy Section Yes, it's an article looking at quarterback statistics from the 2023 NFL season, so we have to spend some time talking about Brock Purdy. Welcome to Purdgatory.

Purdy led the league in DVOA when pressured, with a DVOA of -23.7%. Purdy led the league in DVOA when not pressured, with a DVOA of 99.0%. He's the first player to lead the league in both categories since Patrick Mahomes in 2018. He had the second-best DVOA under pressure of the last five years, just behind 2020 Dak Prescott's -22.2% in the pandemic season. His DVOA without pressure is the best we've recorded since at least 2017, though we can't compare exact DVOAs that far back because of different data providers which means different definitions for pressure. And while yes, his YAC helped him out some, he also had the third-largest aDOT on completions both with and without pressure.

Purdy's performance under pressure is the thing that most differentiates him from his predecessor Jimmy Garoppolo. The last time we wrote this article, the lede was about why the 49ers had decided to move on from Jimmy G for the enticing Trey Lance – the fact that his performance consistently nosedived when opposing pass-rushers got pressure on him. In Garoppolo's three qualified seasons in San Francisco, he finished eighth, third and second in DVOA in clean pockets. But when pressured, that fell to 29th, 23rd and 31st. Had he qualified for the main leaderboards this year, he would have been 28th with a -85.6% DVOA under pressure. Garoppolo has simply never managed to handle a pass rusher in his face – a more extreme version of Goff's splits.

Purdy didn't qualify for the leaderboards as a rookie, but his -41.0% DVOA when pressured would have been third in the league in 2022. He certainly was better this season – his yards per play jumped up by more than two yards – but his relative calm under pressure wasn't new. No one is going to mistake him for Lamar Jackson when a play breaks down, but he has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to extend plays where Garoppolo would have flailed. Purdy had 39 first downs or touchdowns on pressure plays last season, more than Garoppolo had in 2021 and 2022 combined. Purdy had a sack rate of 18.1% and an interception rate of 2.6% under pressure; Garoppolo's best marks in a qualified season were 23.9% and 2.9%, and he averaged 25% and 4.0%.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The Obligatory Brock Purdy Section Yes, it's an article looking at quarterback statistics from the 2023 NFL season, so we have to spend some time talking about Brock Purdy. Welcome to Purdgatory.

Purdy led the league in DVOA when pressured, with a DVOA of -23.7%. Purdy led the league in DVOA when not pressured, with a DVOA of 99.0%. He's the first player to lead the league in both categories since Patrick Mahomes in 2018. He had the second-best DVOA under pressure of the last five years, just behind 2020 Dak Prescott's -22.2% in the pandemic season. His DVOA without pressure is the best we've recorded since at least 2017, though we can't compare exact DVOAs that far back because of different data providers which means different definitions for pressure. And while yes, his YAC helped him out some, he also had the third-largest aDOT on completions both with and without pressure.

Purdy's performance under pressure is the thing that most differentiates him from his predecessor Jimmy Garoppolo. The last time we wrote this article, the lede was about why the 49ers had decided to move on from Jimmy G for the enticing Trey Lance – the fact that his performance consistently nosedived when opposing pass-rushers got pressure on him. In Garoppolo's three qualified seasons in San Francisco, he finished eighth, third and second in DVOA in clean pockets. But when pressured, that fell to 29th, 23rd and 31st. Had he qualified for the main leaderboards this year, he would have been 28th with a -85.6% DVOA under pressure. Garoppolo has simply never managed to handle a pass rusher in his face – a more extreme version of Goff's splits.

Purdy didn't qualify for the leaderboards as a rookie, but his -41.0% DVOA when pressured would have been third in the league in 2022. He certainly was better this season – his yards per play jumped up by more than two yards – but his relative calm under pressure wasn't new. No one is going to mistake him for Lamar Jackson when a play breaks down, but he has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to extend plays where Garoppolo would have flailed. Purdy had 39 first downs or touchdowns on pressure plays last season, more than Garoppolo had in 2021 and 2022 combined. Purdy had a sack rate of 18.1% and an interception rate of 2.6% under pressure; Garoppolo's best marks in a qualified season were 23.9% and 2.9%, and he averaged 25% and 4.0%.

Man I love this kind of spank bank material.

jokes aside, that's awesome data! Appreciate you sharing it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I very much enjoyed going to Purdgatory! Thx

We sure got an upgrade from Jimmy G ..sorry ass Rams lol

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Alex Smith had virtually the same praise.

I'm so glad that despite the Super Bowl loss, the "Purdy can't lead a game-winning drive though!!" nonsense narrative has been put to bed thanks to the two playoff wins.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

I'm so glad that despite the Super Bowl loss, the "Purdy can't lead a game-winning drive though!!" nonsense narrative has been put to bed thanks to the two playoff wins.

Alex? when the adrenaline came he rolled right and put it out of bounds

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Alex is a very intelligent guy but I don't think he had natural instincts for the game that are neccessary to be a top qb. If the play went well and the guy got wide open, he could make the throw. If anything went wrong or got tough, the odds of him having a successful play dropped exponentially.

he seems like an awesome and good person, but a very average - above average qb on his best days. He needed everyone to do their job perfectly, he never really made anyone better around him. Thats my opinion anyways.
According to some dipsh!t named Mark clay from ESPN - Brock is going to have a steep decline in his game. Lol what a moron. Nothing is different except we added offensive weapons and upgraded a few spots on D. Lol
Love the Brock Purdy doubt and nay sayers! Let's keep it coming! Also, only a moron would put tua and Richardson so high. Richardson is going to be a bust and tua is a Jimmy g clone. Lol I get Brock not being at the top of this list but this guy must be hammered.

Love the Brock Purdy doubt and nay sayers! Let's keep it coming! Also, only a moron would put tua and Richardson so high. Richardson is going to be a bust and tua is a Jimmy g clone. Lol I get Brock not being at the top of this list but this guy must be hammered.

I really don't understand the Anthony Richardson hype. Apparently three decent games is enough to crown him but 1.5 seasons isn't enough for Purdy Purdy has MORE PLAYOFF WINS than Richardson has games played…

I really don't understand the Anthony Richardson hype. Apparently three decent games is enough to crown him but 1.5 seasons isn't enough for Purdy Purdy has MORE PLAYOFF WINS than Richardson has games played…

But but but Richardson is a crazy athlete - so he has SO much potential… lol it's a joke. Dude has great skill sets but reads the field horribly and is inaccurate
Share 49ersWebzone