There are 220 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
who's suggesting stuff around Brock was "bad" or "poor"? Lol only thing around Brock that can be discussed being "poor" is pass protection (minus Trent).

Lol no. You're selling that point even with Trent on the OL like Brock's Lamar Jackson or something. Calm it down,...Brock doesn't need the fairytale narratives to look like a good QB. That was the previous one you had to prop up.
Originally posted by random49er:
who's suggesting stuff around Brock was "bad" or "poor"? Lol only thing around Brock that can be discussed being "poor" is pass protection (minus Trent).

Lol no. You're selling that point even with Trent on the OL like Brock's Lamar Jackson or something. Calm it down,...Brock doesn't need the fairytale narratives to look like a good QB. That was the previous one you had to prop up.

Bad OL is not a fairytale. One great lineman makes it passable, but we've seen what happens to Brock and even CMC when Trent is injured
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 21, 2024 at 5:06 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Bad OL is not a fairytale. One great lineman makes it passable, but we've seen what happens to Brock and even CMC when Trent is injured

Everywhere I'm seeing ranks them average for the coming year.

Last year they ended the year Top 5 by "The Expert of Experts", Brandon Thorn.

"Top 5",..."Average",...and "Bad" rankings are not all the same.

And again,...we can say Brock is a good player without saying the OL is the worst ever. We don't need one before we are able to say the other. That "soon-to-be" 10k thread has 50% of it as a concocted fairytale,...and it'd be pretty cool if history doesn't repeat itself here.

p.s.: Speaking of fairytales,.....in these fairytale scenarios you guys keep dreaming up where you take our best player away,...do we get to take the other team's best player away too?

If not,...then what the hell is your point?

Everywhere I'm seeing ranks them average for the coming year.

Last year they ended the year Top 5 by "The Expert of Experts", Brandon Thorn.

"Top 5",..."Average",...and "Bad" rankings are not all the same.

And again,...we can say Brock is a good player without saying the OL is the worst ever. We don't need one before we are able to say the other. That "soon-to-be" 10k thread has 50% of it as a concocted fairytale,...and it'd be pretty cool if history doesn't repeat itself here.

p.s.: Speaking of fairytales,.....in these fairytale scenarios you guys keep dreaming up where you take our best player away,...do we get to take the other team's best player away too?

If not,...then what the hell is your point?

We didn't dream it up. Trent went down last year and showed just how bad our line sucks

BP video Giants game
[ Edited by Montana on May 21, 2024 at 5:21 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by genus49:
Definitely not and I'm excited to see him grow.

I got bit in the ass with Kap. I was one of his biggest fans, got his jersey as a rookie and I rarely buy jerseys and thought for sure he would keep developing and build on his hot start. We all know how that went.

QBs who aren't athletic freaks with huge arms can also grow and develop. Whether it's working on their mechanics, whether it's trying to get stronger, faster or going through timing drills with their receivers there is always stuff to work on. Drew Brees and Tom Brady never stopped working.

The growth Brock showed from his rookie year to last year was substantial and that was with a lot of rehab thrown in there.

Yeah I'm excited to see how he develops more now that he doesn't have to do rehab this offseason. I get the feeling Brock is like Brees and Brady constantly working and trying to improve.

ShanaLynch really beefed up the passing game this offseason. Ricky Pearsall with the choice and option routs with Deebo and Aiyuk, could be unstoppable. Slick Rick kind of reminds me of Pikachu Nacua.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

For sure, OLine and QB play are synergistic. If the OLine doesn't give Brock 2 seconds plus to throw, Brock can't even hit the 3 yard slant passes. There is a reason Puni was drafted right after Pearsall and Green.
Originally posted by Giedi:

For sure, OLine and QB play are synergistic. If the OLine doesn't give Brock 2 seconds plus to throw, Brock can't even hit the 3 yard slant passes. There is a reason Puni was drafted right after Pearsall and Green.

I'm eager to see Puni in pads. Would be a great to have a player on the right side of our OL
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 21, 2024 at 6:07 AM ]
We didn't dream it up. Trent went down last year and showed just how bad our line sucks

Lmao yeah idk what the hell he's talking about.
I'm eager to see Puni in pads. Would be a great to have a player on the right side of our OL

Puni looks like such an excellent fit for this offense, he's very athletic. Seems to be strong in pass pro.

i like the center from Michigan that we picked up as UDFA too.

I heard something interesting, but I'm not sure if I agree with it. This person said that he views o lineman as "either they can play or not". So essentially, just start them. I believe o lineman can be developed but that made me think. Their idea was to just start puni and the C from Michigan over Feliciano and Brendel. That Feliciano is an excellent back up. Not the wildest idea I've heard but idk how much I agree with it

Originally posted by Montana:

BP video Giants game

How many teams wouldn't suffer if they lost a tackle as good as Trent? How many even have a guy as good as Trent?

Puni looks like such an excellent fit for this offense, he's very athletic. Seems to be strong in pass pro.

i like the center from Michigan that we picked up as UDFA too.

I heard something interesting, but I'm not sure if I agree with it. This person said that he views o lineman as "either they can play or not". So essentially, just start them. I believe o lineman can be developed but that made me think. Their idea was to just start puni and the C from Michigan over Feliciano and Brendel. That Feliciano is an excellent back up. Not the wildest idea I've heard but idk how much I agree with it

Yeah we didn't address the line as early as I wanted but we were able to grab some intriguing prospects. That's what I hope, I want Puni and Nugent to earn the starting roles. If they solidify C and RG our offense is going to be ridiculous

Did you envision KC winning it all last year without Mahomes?

Missing a HOF player that is the best at his craft is pretty normal. No team out there has high caliber OTs hanging around on the bench, instantly ready.

This is only in your imagination. We certainly want a versatile young tackle or 2 that we can develop. But this is a different subject/context than what you are complaining about.
[ Edited by random49er on May 21, 2024 at 7:44 AM ]
Our OL is definitely still our biggest weakness. My hope is maybe some of the guys were playing hurt or had down years as a result to guys not playing up to snuff near them.

Look around the league and you'll see thin OL depth. Eagles may be the only one who keep churning them out and they got very lucky to find a gem like Mailata in the 7th round. It will be interesting to see how their young depth does in replacing a key piece like Jason Kelce. They basically have 2 new starters since Jurgens had to move in at Center to replace Jason with Tyler Steen going to RG. But most teams lose an All Pro on the OL and you feel it.

I know Banks was banged up, don't recall if Brendel was either but he needs to pick things up for sure. Getting the OL to play at their best in pass pro is key for us winning it all. Brock will do his part if we protect him. Hell he may be able to do his part even if we don't...but I'd rather we keep the man upright and give him time to make plays.
Did you envision KC winning it all last year without Mahomes?

This made me consider that Mahomes is kinda overdue for a more significant injury at this point. Look at Burrow in comparison, and how his injuries have really kept the Bengals back from achieving their potential since their SB appearance.
Share 49ersWebzone