There are 223 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nah. Mahomes could be a member of Westboro Baptist Church or ISIS and still be considered #1 by a wide margin.

Purdy just isn't overt. He's not tall, not particularly physically impressive, he's quick but not super fast, his arm isn't impressive, he looks like just a guy with a generic mall haircut, dresses like he's applying for a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car and speaks in very basic, non-controversial soundbites. He plays his ass off and wins but until he wins a SB, or really a couple of SB's, they'll continue to doubt and underrate him.

Enterprise-Rent-A-Car

Lol..seeing BP in a commerical ..walking into a rental car, "We'll pick you up". Lol.

Idk he looks pretty athletic to me...has a core of steel. I honestly might take that over whatever arm ppl tend to be obsessing over. Trey looked like he had "the arm/body of a great qb"..we all know how that has turned out so far lol. BP looks good to me, dude throws it deep, accurate, is a monster processor, idk what else ppl want, except that ring I guess..in time

Originally posted by frenchmov:
Lol yes, those heavily persecuted Christians in the United states.

Lol I wasn't saying that, it was just a thought but we can drop it lol. Just having a hard time figuring out what the heck it is. The dude has been close to perfect performance wise. Might be that the guy looks like he could be in a JC Penny catalog, doesn't have a ring..he isn't the first really good qb to be under appreciated, won't be the last. BP needs that SB win to shut up the noise..even after he wins an SB, he might be under appreciated..it happens. Just sucks when it's a 49er lol a damn good one too
[ Edited by Montana on May 21, 2024 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nah. Mahomes could be a member of Westboro Baptist Church or ISIS and still be considered #1 by a wide margin.

Purdy just isn't overt. He's not tall, not particularly physically impressive, he's quick but not super fast, his arm isn't impressive, he looks like just a guy with a generic mall haircut, dresses like he's applying for a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car and speaks in very basic, non-controversial soundbites. He plays his ass off and wins but until he wins a SB, or really a couple of SB's, they'll continue to doubt and underrate him.

Enterprise-Rent-A-Car

Lol..seeing BP in a commerical ..walking into a rental car, "We'll pick you up". Lol.

Idk he looks pretty athletic to me...has a core of steel. I honestly might take that over whatever arm ppl tend to be obsessing over. Trey looked like he had "the arm/body of an great qb"..we all know how that has turned out so far lol. BP looks good to me, dude throws it deep, accurate, is a monster processor, idk what else ppl want, except that ring I guess..in time

Originally posted by frenchmov:
Lol yes, those heavily persecuted Christians in the United states.

Lol I wasn't saying that, it was just a thought but we can drop it lol. Just having a hard time figuring out what the heck it is Might be that the guy looks like he could be in a JC Penny catalog, doesn't have a ring..he isn't the first really good qb to be under appreciated, won't be the last. BP needs that SB win to shut up the noise..even after he wins an SB, he might be under appreciated..it happens. Just sucks when it's a 49er lol a damn good one too

Just compared to other QBs he doesn't have that big of a frame.

It's pretty simple why he's under appreciated, it's because of where he was drafted. People just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a 7th round pick can be this good. Which is hard to blame them, u just don't have day 3 picks at QB that come in and play this damn good so early on.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Just compared to other QBs he doesn't have that big of a frame.

It's pretty simple why he's under appreciated, it's because of where he was drafted. People just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a 7th round pick can be this good. Which is hard to blame them, u just don't have day 3 picks at QB that come in and play this damn good so early on.

But he is that good, that is the thing. That is all that should matter. It's still the Mr. Irrelevant thing? Pretty sure he is past that. I know I used poor Trey as an example but..dude had "the body", 1st pick..doesn't mean crap if the dude can't process and folds under pressure. Brock has the mental and physical strength, accuracy, leadership..dude has it all pretty much. I don't get it but whatever. The main thing is..our coaches do and we got the guy.
I hope they give Brock like a 10 year deal. The reason the Chiefs are able to manipulate the cap when it comes to Mahomes is because they have so many years to work with and just keep pushing it down the road. You can't maneuver the cap much if it's just a 5 or 6 year deal. And even with them restructuring Mahomes contract every year, his cap hit the final 2 years of his deal is cheap. So when his cap hit is over $60 million in 25,26, and 27 they are just going to push some of it back to the final 2 years. You can do much with a longer contract.

Now obvious there is alot of risks also. You have to make sure you have your franchise QB and you have to hope he doesn't suffer a career ending or career altering injury.
Brock is already having a Drew Brees type of effect on our team. Pay the man!
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree. Joe had great people around him. Mainly hall of fame level. (Lott, Dean/Haley, Rice) anybody ranking Brock less that top 5 is clueless about the 49ers and football in general.

I'm taking these QBs over Brock:

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, Stafford.

If I had to win a game tomorrow so to speak, or go SB or bust in one year not factoring the future, I'm also taking Rodgers over him.

Stroud and Love could be reasonably placed ahead of him as well, but all three have a small sample size so we'll see what happens going forward.

I also don't think it would be unreasonable to compare him to Cousins and Dak, though I would take him over both.

Hard to disagree with those. I am a BIG fan of Stroud. I thought what he did last season was super super impressive. It will be fun to see him progress with higher expectations in place.

The sad thing is for Brock until he's able to show he can play without a stacked position group around him people won't give him his due. Brady dealt with the game manager label to start his career and it wasn't until the Pats brought him in some heavy hitters at the skill spots where he really took off and most of his haters had to shut up and instead moved to the "cheater" route for a bit.

The thing is I really think we haven't seen Brock's top level yet. That should be somewhat obvious considering he's going into his 3rd season but I'm speaking more about the OL pass pro issues we've had. To me that's really the major driving force behind how good a QB plays. Even the greats when pressured consistently can't produce to their standard. Look no further than that 2007 Pat Juggernaut offense. I think they averaged like 37 points per game which is insane but the Giants and ironically Spags managed to get pressure at Tom constantly in that SB matchup and they only managed 14 points.

Brock won't be able to enjoy his whole career playing in an offense with guys like CMC, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and JJ at his disposal at all times but if we can strengthen our pass protection and give him a good OL to play behind I think he can still do really good things even without all pro level guys at RB, WR and TE.

Obviously you don't want scrubs out there but we know a good marriage with Kyle and a QB will have the offense in good shape regardless.

As far as those rankings, Brock will keep on doing his thing and eventually some will buy in, some will still find some BS excuse to knock the kid. As long as he's here winning games for us that's all I care about. Put him 32nd on the rankings...just give us the 32nd overall pick in the draft when the season is over.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I can see Brock doing a 10 year deal with some years very low salary and others higher to better retain/obtain talent around him.

If I had to win a game tomorrow so to speak, or go SB or bust in one year not factoring the future, I'm also taking Rodgers over him.

Stroud and Love could be reasonably placed ahead of him as well, but all three have a small sample size so we'll see what happens going forward.

I also don't think it would be unreasonable to compare him to Cousins and Dak, though I would take him over both.

This is a very reasonable take. It's a small sample size that BP could be really anywhere from 5 to 15, give or take.

He has been Breesy for a while now but he is our Drew Brees isn't he? Bay Area is loving on him like they loved Drew in N.O. too.

THE BROCK PURDY EFFECT

He is gunna get such a phat check
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:

This is a very reasonable take. It's a small sample size that BP could be really anywhere from 5 to 15, give or take.

Meh, for me Stafford's age is a problem and Larmar chokes in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Is the offense constantly evolving or is what you're doing now basically refresher stuff from last year, from previous seasons?

"I mean honestly, I would say it's evolving a little bit. There are certain plays and concepts that we'd sort of run throughout the year and that we'd get to when we're scheming teams. And then in the offseason, it's like all right we have these base plays and really we don't run these a whole lot, but the plays that we do run, we're starting to install those early on and run them. And so, I think it's evolving a little bit. But at the same time, we're still running some really good plays that Kyle has had in forever in this offense and that have continued to show success year after year. We always have to hone in to those kinds of concepts early on in the offseason. But I would say we've got guys that have played, we understand how to run this system pretty well and we're able to do things I think a little bit quicker than in year's past."
I think the offense will evolve a great deal if Aiyuk gets signed because he'll be (with George) the guys running the choice/option routes. Man o man, if you have Pearsall distracting the coverage, and Brock's WRs reading defenses - this offense will be hard to stop.
Brock will win one for us! I just know it man.
[ Edited by picklejuice on May 22, 2024 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Montana:

He has been Breesy for a while now but he is our Drew Brees isn't he? Bay Area is loving on him like they loved Drew in N.O. too.

THE BROCK PURDY EFFECT

He is gunna get such a phat check

It just felt different the moment he stepped in the dolphins game to me. He seemed like he always belonged there and literally we didn't miss a beat - actually got better with him in there. It was wild.

im really excited to see how he looks this year the improvements he made in the off season. I think we will a huge improvement, and im not saying it was bad at all last year, in how fast and decisive he is with where he throws the ball on plays. In other words, his defensive recognition and where to go with tbe ball. Hes gonna dice fools up
Originally posted by picklejuice:

Don't jinx it like you did with Trey
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by picklejuice:

Don't jinx it like you did with Trey

Did ppl say Trey was gunna win the big one?
Share 49ersWebzone