There are 222 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Brock is a good QB on a very good tam

When he is on $25-30 million a year and has a lower paid offense to play on (seeing he will take a bulk of the money), we will see how he goes.

25 mil a year is what Jimmy got 7 years ago. You're insane if you think that will be his contract

Brock is such a nice guy who doesn't want anything crazy. He's going to take a team friendly deal to play for like $100 a game.

i keep reading about that
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I think he's going to take a team friendly deal along the lines of what Hurts/Mahommes did and not what Lamar Jackson did. For some reason, some people on here think taking a team friendly deal means playing for Pennie's. It's really just the difference between playing for $40M instead of $45M or the length structure of the deal to help spread out the money.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I think he's going to take a team friendly deal along the lines of what Hurts/Mahommes did and not what Lamar Jackson did. For some reason, some people on here think taking a team friendly deal means playing for Pennie's. It's really just the difference between playing for $40M instead of $45M or the length structure of the deal to help spread out the money.

i'm on the pay the man train, provided he balls out in the year to come
we typically have guys go out of their mind, in the contract year, do we invite him to do the money manziel gesture??

that may be too much, but maybe just one time drop it in after a TD, to get paraag's attention
He is nice but also is a baller, knows his worth. Big money for BCB

Brock going to ignore a team friendly deal like he did that Dodgers fan lol

i'm on the pay the man train, provided he balls out in the year to come
we typically have guys go out of their mind, in the contract year, do we invite him to do the money manziel gesture??

that may be too much, but maybe just one time drop it in after a TD, to get paraag's attention

If the choice is to pay him top dollar, or lose him, I'd keep him. My main interest is building a dynasty and sustaining it - the a core reason the pat's could do it was Brady took a little less than he could have demanded, providing flexibility for other positions. Ideally, Brock still becomes filthy rich and provides the team with flexibility instead of him taking up 25%+ of the salary cap.

At the end of the day, having a top notch qb to pay is a great problem to have. I just hope we don't have to purge a bunch of awesome talent because we can't afford what we have anymore. I guess if that happens - at least we can trade a lot of them away for assets.
Griese specifically mentioned Purdy's timing and footwork as areas where the quarterback as improved. He was unable to focus much on those issues in previous offseasons due to his injuries.

"Being healthy is definitely going to be a benefit to Brock the whole offseason," Griese said. "It's hard to work on your timing and footwork and timing as a quarterback if you're not throwing the ball."

Assistant head coach/defense Brandon Staley, who coached against Purdy in joint training camp practices and during games while with the Los Angeles Chargers, believes the quarterback is more than capable of expanding his leadership duties.

"He has that way about him that just lifts the team up," Staley said. "He's a gym rat and he can effect the whole team, not just by how he plays. It's how he prepares and his work ethic, how coachable he is. I'm excited to team up with him."

Griese likes what he has seen from Purdy so far and expects more to come.

"Understanding his role, understanding the mental aspect of it, understanding how close we were last year and that there's an edge and sense of urgency and understanding your role in helping to use that to get better as a team collectively," Griese said. "I've seen growth in all those areas."
"Purdy has played in 25 games, with 21 being starts, and over those two years, he's thrown 614 passes with 44 touchdowns to 15 interceptions, good for a 111.4 passer rating to start his career. Again, I went to PFR and punched in how many quarterbacks have thrown more than 600 passes for a rating higher than 110 (to be as specific as possible) over their first 25 career games, and the machine spit this list out:

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

That's it, that's the list."

More here from the article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brock-purdy-did-something-in-2023-that-only-10-other-qbs-in-nfl-history-have/ar-BB1mW1S9
[ Edited by Montana on May 23, 2024 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
"Purdy has played in 25 games, with 21 being starts, and over those two years, he's thrown 614 passes with 44 touchdowns to 15 interceptions, good for a 111.4 passer rating to start his career. Again, I went to PFR and punched in how many quarterbacks have thrown more than 600 passes for a rating higher than 110 (to be as specific as possible) over their first 25 career games, and the machine spit this list out:

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brock-purdy-did-something-in-2023-that-only-10-other-qbs-in-nfl-history-have/ar-BB1mW1S9

Yup, it's been special. Just as it's felt special as a fan to watch it all.

I really feel like Pearsall & Cowing are going to be big time contributors this year. I think they'll become focal points of this offense in 2-3 years. Next year it'll probably be Aiyuk, Pearsall, & Cowing. I think they're all really talented route runners and bring elements to the game that we haven't had. Just hope they can deal with the physicality of the game

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

Damn that's not good company to keep. Mahomes is overrated and not that good

To me he's already the real deal. Idk if he will ever be a clear #1-2 (probably not) but I really believe we have a consistent top 5 QB. I think the FO wants to see one more year of some growth and improvement, and most important be great again this year.

If that happens, I will be very upset if we don't offer him a 7-10 year contract. I get the risk factor, but outside of a terrible injury, the kid is legit. Give him that 7-10 year deal, push a lot of the cap money down the line, and this also gives you so much cap flexibility with restructures.

The NFL isnt going anywhere anytime soon. The cap just keeps going up and up. AB posted about it as well, but it's estimated we will be over 300 mil cap space by 2030. So giving Purdy 40-50 mil a year and pushing that money down the line will basically be us paying him 25-30 mil a year against the cap for the first 3-4 years if we can lock him into a LONG term contract.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on May 23, 2024 at 1:17 PM ]

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

To be fair to some of the other QBs around the league not many had the coaching and talent around them that Mahomes and Purdy have. Most good QBs start their careers on bad teams.
To me he's already the real deal. Idk if he will ever be a clear #1-2 (probably not) but I really believe we have a consistent top 5 QB. I think the FO wants to see one more year of some growth and improvement, and most important be great again this year.

If that happens, I will be very upset if we don't offer him a 7-10 year contract. I get the risk factor, but outside of a terrible injury, the kid is legit. Give him that 7-10 year deal, push a lot of the cap money down the line, and this also gives you so much cap flexibility with restructures.

The NFL isnt going anywhere anytime soon. The cap just keeps going up and up. AB posted about it as well, but it's estimated we will be over 300 mil cap space by 2030. So giving Purdy 40-50 mil a year and pushing that money down the line will basically be us paying him 25-30 mil a year against the cap for the first 3-4 years if we can lock him into a LONG term contract.

I genuinely think he will be in the top 5 convo for a while and maybe in a few years, if he we can win a chip - he can be arguably 2nd behind mahommes.

whats interesting is that hurts contract was like 5 year contract but they have a ton of the cap hit 7-9 years later. Interesting structure to keep the cap low. I'd love to see us giving Brock a 6 year extension to his rookie contract (gives us 7 years of contract to play with).

yeah the cap will go up. Ultimately, it really comes down to how well we continue to draft/scout players. If we can do that and Brock continues on his trajectory - we will be in great shape for a long time. Having a franchise qb and top notch hc, which I think we have both, will set us up to compete for the next decade. I couldn't be happier with where we are. I just hope we can get over the hump
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

To be fair to some of the other QBs around the league not many had the coaching and talent around them that Mahomes and Purdy have. Most good QBs start their careers on bad teams.

To be fair…… even though some other quarterbacks might not have the talent or coaching around them as Purdy or Mahomes have had, there is no argument that almost all those quarterbacks had incredibly better pass protection than Purdy, and that is just as important as having weapons around them or a great play caller. We all saw what happens when a quarterback gets pressured in less than two seconds, the scheme doesn't matter as much and there's no time to hit your talented playmakers. So I don't agree with that at all.

Lol Mahomes is good...just not like they make him out to to be..like some football god.
Griese specifically mentioned Purdy's timing and footwork as areas where the quarterback as improved. He was unable to focus much on those issues in previous offseasons due to his injuries.

"Being healthy is definitely going to be a benefit to Brock the whole offseason," Griese said. "It's hard to work on your timing and footwork and timing as a quarterback if you're not throwing the ball."

Assistant head coach/defense Brandon Staley, who coached against Purdy in joint training camp practices and during games while with the Los Angeles Chargers, believes the quarterback is more than capable of expanding his leadership duties.

"He has that way about him that just lifts the team up," Staley said. "He's a gym rat and he can effect the whole team, not just by how he plays. It's how he prepares and his work ethic, how coachable he is. I'm excited to team up with him."

Griese likes what he has seen from Purdy so far and expects more to come.

"Understanding his role, understanding the mental aspect of it, understanding how close we were last year and that there's an edge and sense of urgency and understanding your role in helping to use that to get better as a team collectively," Griese said. "I've seen growth in all those areas."

Were you a writer in college? Good stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone