There are 230 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Damn that's not good company to keep. Mahomes is overrated and not that good

Lol Mahomes is good...just not like they make him out to to be..like some football god.

That's the term you want to use feel free.

But pretty much everybody agrees he's the best QB in the league for several years now. When you keep calling him overrated, and you say you rather have Purdy, that's just silly. If anything you make Purdy into a football god.
Yeah trying to discredit Mahomes now is just a bad look. Dude is terrific and I hate him.
Don't doubt the competitiveness in Brock. He comes across as a laid-back , take it easy kind of guy in interview. He is not that person. He is going to figure out a way to come out on top one way or the other. The most appealing part of Brock is whats between his ears.
Originally posted by scottym:
Don't doubt the competitiveness in Brock. He comes across as a laid-back , take it easy kind of guy in interview. He is not that person. He is going to figure out a way to come out on top one way or the other. The most appealing part of Brock is whats between his ears.
Breece Hall saw it playing against Brock in Madden. Ruthless competitor
That's the term you want to use feel free.

But pretty much everybody agrees he's the best QB in the league for several years now. When you keep calling him overrated, and you say you rather have Purdy, that's just silly. If anything you make Purdy into a football god.

I think you make the word "clown" into a god lol

And no, I don't do that lol but yes, I would rather have Purdy. Feel free to criticize that 500 more times haha
[ Edited by Montana on May 24, 2024 at 4:18 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Yeah trying to discredit Mahomes now is just a bad look. Dude is terrific and I hate him.

I said he is a really good qb, does some really great stuff but yeah..not the mighty lord of football, no. Look, if BP didn't get injured, we would have won against the Eagles and won against KC..as we had Ryans and I believe our roster was at it's stongest. BP would have had a ring already..as long as you know who didn't crap the bed haha.
But that is a convo that has beat a dead horse 1 mil times over..and for that unfun thread where everyone bickers back n forth. I don't need ppl to agree with me. Some do, I definitely don't. Here for the fun ride:)
But that is a convo that has beat a dead horse 1 mil times over..and for that unfun thread where everyone bickers back n forth. I don't need ppl to agree with me.

Would u define everyone collectively kissing 1 of our players' arse with no disagreement or interruption as a "fun thread".... ?
Originally posted by random49er:
But that is a convo that has beat a dead horse 1 mil times over..and for that unfun thread where everyone bickers back n forth. I don't need ppl to agree with me.

Would u define everyone collectively kissing 1 of our players' arse with no disagreement or interruption as a "fun thread".... ?

How about moving on?
Originally posted by scottym:

The arguments just become circular a lot of times and they go on and on..like politics, it's a waste of time to me but yeah, moving on.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
"Purdy has played in 25 games, with 21 being starts, and over those two years, he's thrown 614 passes with 44 touchdowns to 15 interceptions, good for a 111.4 passer rating to start his career. Again, I went to PFR and punched in how many quarterbacks have thrown more than 600 passes for a rating higher than 110 (to be as specific as possible) over their first 25 career games, and the machine spit this list out:

- Patrick Mahomes

- Brock Purdy

That's it, that's the list."

More here from the article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brock-purdy-did-something-in-2023-that-only-10-other-qbs-in-nfl-history-have/ar-BB1mW1S9

I think the careers of Purdy and Patrick are similar in that the start of their careers were in such a high trajectory. If you compare his career to Joe and Steve (for now) Purdy is leaving both of them in the dust.

Both these QBs (Purdy and Patrick) have that Brady ability to elevate their surrounding players. Both offenses (KC and 49ers) will always be good with both QBs pulling the trigger. Key is *defense.* The difference between Joe's Superbowl runs and Steve's superbowl runs is that Joe had top-flight defenses throughout his career. Nither Aaron or Drew had that for most of their careers, IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:

i keep reading about that

I think he's going to take a team friendly deal along the lines of what Hurts/Mahommes did and not what Lamar Jackson did. For some reason, some people on here think taking a team friendly deal means playing for Pennie's. It's really just the difference between playing for $40M instead of $45M or the length structure of the deal to help spread out the money.

i'm on the pay the man train, provided he balls out in the year to come
we typically have guys go out of their mind, in the contract year, do we invite him to do the money manziel gesture??

that may be too much, but maybe just one time drop it in after a TD, to get paraag's attention

If the choice is to pay him top dollar, or lose him, I'd keep him. My main interest is building a dynasty and sustaining it - the a core reason the pat's could do it was Brady took a little less than he could have demanded, providing flexibility for other positions. Ideally, Brock still becomes filthy rich and provides the team with flexibility instead of him taking up 25%+ of the salary cap.

At the end of the day, having a top notch qb to pay is a great problem to have. I just hope we don't have to purge a bunch of awesome talent because we can't afford what we have anymore. I guess if that happens - at least we can trade a lot of them away for assets.

The draft is key to managing the Cap. Alex Mack cost a ton of cap space, but we replaced him with a undrafted Brendel for dirt cheap. If the 49ers continue to draft/acquire players well, they can continue to lose superbowl caliber players (as long as they keep Purdy) and keep that superbowl window open for a long time. Even if Brock is taking up 15%+ of the 49ers cap space.

Football can fun too, it's ok to be excited about something.
Damn that's not good company to keep. Mahomes is overrated and not that good

Lol Mahomes is good...just not like they make him out to to be..like some football god.

It's an interesting convo. He's probably the best player in the game, and playing QB at the highest level. He has the all 22 seemingly installed, as he sees the entire field, including feeling the rush, with eyes downfield.

Now, ppl I think who may not follow as close as we do, attribute all KC success to Mahomes. That's not the case. In SBs, we had him pretty well handled, and took the ball off him. He does indeed have a great HC, DC, and a lot of D player investment, and I question if he's winning rings without all that.
It's an interesting convo. He's probably the best player in the game, and playing QB at the highest level. He has the all 22 seemingly installed, as he sees the entire field, including feeling the rush, with eyes downfield.

Now, ppl I think who may not follow as close as we do, attribute all KC success to Mahomes. That's not the case. In SBs, we had him pretty well handled, and took the ball off him. He does indeed have a great HC, DC, and a lot of D player investment, and I question if he's winning rings without all that.

Of course he doesn't win any Super Bowls without surrounding talent. No quarterback single-handedly wins a game, let alone a Super Bowl. I think he benefits more from the league/refs than any player I've ever seen at this point, and it really puts a stain on the league IMO, but the fact of the matter is this: His can elevate the talent around him higher than probably any other QB in the league, and that to me is arguably the #1 factor in judging a QB. He had a top tier defense, and Reid has always been a good/great HC, but that offense last year was average at best....without Mahomes, it would've been garbage.
Share 49ersWebzone