There are 243 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I am looking forward to the outcome of a pre-season where we have competency and stability at QB. Timing between receivers should be improved, OL more integrated, with even better penetration in the running game.
I remember the team in the glory years coming out of training camp like a well- tuned Ferrari, rather than merely evolving throughout the season.
Here's hoping for that same lethality out of the gate this season for this team!

I'm looking forward to Tanner Mordechai and Joshua Dobbs too in preseason. I think both these guys are younger and more athletic than Brandon Allen. I'm hoping one of these guys unseats Allen and gets that QB squad a bit younger.

I don't know how long we can keep Brian Griese as a 49er coach, but I'm hoping ShanaLynch can get either Steve Young, Alex Smith or Jeff Garcia as the next coach in line to coach Purdy if we lose Brian.

Mordechai seems like someone we can use odd packages for. Isn't he super athletic? Maybe use him like the saints used Hill?

I like the idea of having

• Brock (starter)
  • Dobbs (I think he's an awesome backup)
  • Mordachai - a developmental guy who can be used in special packages if we want to get crazy.
Originally posted by tankle104:
In my eyes, that's being limited. Being "limited" isn't just physical - it's mental as well.

if you struggle to handle the mental aspect of playing qb at its highest level, you're limited. So much of being a top notch qb is mental. It's why I say "either you have it or you don't". The physical aspect of playing qb is probably the least important aspect, a ton of guys have great physical skill sets. It's can you lead, can you anticipate, can you process, can you do all of that while under immense pressure, what are your study/work habits (not just working out). Etc.

what makes gauging if a guy will work out as a qb or not is that it's insanely difficult to measure someone's mind and how they see/process stuff.

this is why I always say that having a great physical skill set at qb isn't that important. Your physical tools just need to be good enough, it's really someone's mind that makes a great qb or not.

Those are good points and very true IMO. Brock "has it" between the ears. He also has enough athletic ability. His scrambling and running is under rated. Plus his arm is accurate and strong enough. Lots of great athletes can't play QB good. Justin Fields is a great example. He's fast and has a strong arm. But he can't play anywhere near as good of QB as Brock Purdy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In my eyes, that's being limited. Being "limited" isn't just physical - it's mental as well.

if you struggle to handle the mental aspect of playing qb at its highest level, you're limited. So much of being a top notch qb is mental. It's why I say "either you have it or you don't". The physical aspect of playing qb is probably the least important aspect, a ton of guys have great physical skill sets. It's can you lead, can you anticipate, can you process, can you do all of that while under immense pressure, what are your study/work habits (not just working out). Etc.

what makes gauging if a guy will work out as a qb or not is that it's insanely difficult to measure someone's mind and how they see/process stuff.

this is why I always say that having a great physical skill set at qb isn't that important. Your physical tools just need to be good enough, it's really someone's mind that makes a great qb or not.

Those are good points and very true IMO. Brock "has it" between the ears. He also has enough athletic ability. His scrambling and running is under rated. Plus his arm is accurate and strong enough. Lots of great athletes can't play QB good. Justin Fields is a great example. He's fast and has a strong arm. But he can't play anywhere near as good of QB as Brock Purdy.

For some reason a lot of people think that you can take someone with great physical tools and teach them how to be great QBs, and I just don't believe that's true at all. I think there are numerous aspects of playing qb that just can't be taught he learned - either you have that or you don't. Some things can be honed, or improved upon, but doesn't mean you can become great at it.

ideally, we would love to take a Lamar Jackson with Tom Brady brain but that obviously isn't something we can just create through hard work. Lol it would require a lot of luck
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I am looking forward to the outcome of a pre-season where we have competency and stability at QB. Timing between receivers should be improved, OL more integrated, with even better penetration in the running game.
I remember the team in the glory years coming out of training camp like a well- tuned Ferrari, rather than merely evolving throughout the season.
Here's hoping for that same lethality out of the gate this season for this team!

I'm looking forward to Tanner Mordechai and Joshua Dobbs too in preseason. I think both these guys are younger and more athletic than Brandon Allen. I'm hoping one of these guys unseats Allen and gets that QB squad a bit younger.

I don't know how long we can keep Brian Griese as a 49er coach, but I'm hoping ShanaLynch can get either Steve Young, Alex Smith or Jeff Garcia as the next coach in line to coach Purdy if we lose Brian.

Mordechai seems like someone we can use odd packages for. Isn't he super athletic? Maybe use him like the saints used Hill?

I like the idea of having

• Brock (starter)
  • Dobbs (I think he's an awesome backup)
  • Mordachai - a developmental guy who can be used in special packages if we want to get crazy.
Mordechai is much faster and seems more athletic than Brock. I like Allen too, but the age factor is a little bit of a negative for me. Dobbs I think is a bit taller as well as athletic also, but I could be wrong though.

Mordechai and Dobbs might have the mental intangibles to develop into a Brock Purdy 2.0. It's a long shot for both though - but I was impressed with both their Brock-Like intangible similarities to be able to absorb new playbooks and master the basics vs other so called equivalent first round pick level talents. (At least for Dobbs)

Walsh was able (I think) to convert backup QBs into low round picks (Bono and Elvis) later in their careers, but I could be wrong though. It would be nice to have some extras 5th and 6th round picks if these 2 QBs develop into tradable players a la Brieda.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I remember an old Joe Namath article about him being able to process so fast that everything around him during a play seemed to slow down. I recollect an old Joe Montana tv interview which he mentioned the same thing. I'm wondering just how slow the game will be for Brock if he elevates his processor even faster - potentially - this upcoming season.
Originally posted by Montana:
Dak Unlimited, a new cologne to celebrate imagination

He should really be a spokesman for ExtenZe
For some reason a lot of people think that you can take someone with great physical tools and teach them how to be great QBs, and I just don't believe that's true at all. I think there are numerous aspects of playing qb that just can't be taught he learned - either you have that or you don't. Some things can be honed, or improved upon, but doesn't mean you can become great at it.

ideally, we would love to take a Lamar Jackson with Tom Brady brain but that obviously isn't something we can just create through hard work. Lol it would require a lot of luck

A guy with great physical tools has a CHANCE to learn/develop (however small that chance may be in many cases)

A guy with no good physical attributes can't grow 3 inches or develop a rocket arm or run 4.3

I get what you're saying and I'd always want the guy with intelligence/fundamentals but it's also easy to understand why a coach thinks he can teach a specimen
[ Edited by frenchmov on May 26, 2024 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Dak Unlimited, a new cologne to celebrate imagination

He should really be a spokesman for ExtenZe

Total stud
Originally posted by frenchmov:

A guy with great physical tools has a CHANCE to learn/develop (however small that chance may be in many cases)

A guy with no good physical attributes can't grow 3 inches or develop a rocket arm or run 4.3

I get what you're saying and I'd always want the guy with intelligence/fundamentals but it's also easy to understand why a coach thinks he can teach a specimen

I'll take the guy who's average height, decent arm (can make all the throws), and doesn't run a 4.3 but has the right mind for the position. That person is at worst a Kirk cousins type over the guy who's an athletic freak but doesn't have the right mind for the position (Zach Wilson).

i understand the whole "you can't teach physical attributes or athletisicm", and I think that applies for just about every position in football besides qb. The mental side of the position is a majority of executing the position, IMO. AS LONG AS THEIR PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES ARE "GOOD ENOUGH". I want to emphasize that I understand there are minimum physical attributes a qb must have to be able to play at this level, they need to be able to make all the throws. I get that. But once that criteria is met - it's mainly important that they have the right mind/vision/processing for the game. Thats how I view it.

id love a qb who's a mix of Lamar and Brady but id much rather have the qb who's more similar to Brady/Montana than Lamar. The physical stuff is sexy but doesnt translate necessarily to greatness. I like my qb to just be able to scramble
To buy time like Brock does, Big Ben used to, how mahommes does. Idc much about them running away. It helps but also greatly increases chances of getting hurt.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 26, 2024 at 3:48 PM ]

Nice legs

Dak is just Dallas's version of our Jimmy G. Not literally but figuratively.

"Version of" implies figurative language already,...don't think anyone here believes the 2 look like clones.

But I thought the "he's just like Jimmy G" guy was Tua?

Or do all teams have a Jimmy G?

I remember an old Joe Namath article about him being able to process so fast that everything around him during a play seemed to slow down. I recollect an old Joe Montana tv interview which he mentioned the same thing. I'm wondering just how slow the game will be for Brock if he elevates his processor even faster - potentially - this upcoming season.

He will get better at that. It's already his best part. He can be in the MVP race this year. Last year they were always going to vote against him. Looking for excuses. This year it will be harder to not notice he's good because it's been years now. He just needs to not have that 1 clunker game like the Ravens at the end of the year. Plus the stats even a little more up. Both of which are possible.
Since Purdy..the qb drama has left us and is now with the Cowboys..win win lol
Originally posted by random49er:
Dak is just Dallas's version of our Jimmy G. Not literally but figuratively.

"Version of" implies figurative language already,...don't think anyone here believes the 2 look like clones.

But I thought the "he's just like Jimmy G" guy was Tua?

Or do all teams have a Jimmy G?

They're all limited players who you don't want your system running through nor the game on their shoulders, they'll fail you every time - like they have.

theyre all the same end result and same issue, just different person. They're all average qbs who will let you down.
Since Purdy..the qb drama has left us and is now with the Cowboys..win win lol

The gift that keeps on giving!

im really anxious to hear how Brock looks in camp, mainly on if he is extremely decisive. Not that he wasn't in the past but I mean in the sense that he recognizes defenses quicker and knows where the best place to go with the ball is quicker. He Did a good job of that last year but I feel like he will improve upon that with more experience and time to review his film.
Share 49ersWebzone