There are 213 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder if that was part of Kyle's plan..to put the qb drama strain on the Cowboys and get rid of ours at the same time. If so, I am impressed lol.

Originally posted by tankle104:
The gift that keeps on giving!

im really anxious to hear how Brock looks in camp, mainly on if he is extremely decisive. Not that he wasn't in the past but I mean in the sense that he recognizes defenses quicker and knows where the best place to go with the ball is quicker. He Did a good job of that last year but I feel like he will improve upon that with more experience and time to review his film.

He has already tightened up his game, he will keep doing it. He was still learning the offense when he came in and was still balling. Now, he knows it, he is going to be even more comfortable with Shanny, the offense, playing in the NFL in general. Let's just say, it's going to be a Brees for him lolol. He is going to be even more fierce and ruthless.
Originally posted by Montana:
I wonder if that was part of Kyle's plan..to put the qb drama strain on the Cowboys and get rid of ours at the same time. If so, I am impressed lol.

The gift that keeps on giving!

im really anxious to hear how Brock looks in camp, mainly on if he is extremely decisive. Not that he wasn't in the past but I mean in the sense that he recognizes defenses quicker and knows where the best place to go with the ball is quicker. He Did a good job of that last year but I feel like he will improve upon that with more experience and time to review his film.

He has already tightened up his game, he will keep doing it. He was still learning the offense when he came in and was still balling. Now, he knows it, he is going to be even more comfortable with Shanny, the offense, playing in the NFL in general. Let's just say, it's going to be a Brees for him lolol. He is going to be even more fierce and ruthless.

Couple that with more experience facing different types of defenses and looks while playing in Kyle's offense (and chemistry with the boys), I expect the team will keep improving. Only 2 more months until camp…. But it's going to feel like forever. Lol
Couple that with more experience facing different types of defenses and looks while playing in Kyle's offense (and chemistry with the boys), I expect the team will keep improving. Only 2 more months until camp…. But it's going to feel like forever. Lol

Very true points.
Lolol longest off season ever..

wanna play Rummy with some Purdy playing cards? Lol
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I am looking forward to the outcome of a pre-season where we have competency and stability at QB. Timing between receivers should be improved, OL more integrated, with even better penetration in the running game.
I remember the team in the glory years coming out of training camp like a well- tuned Ferrari, rather than merely evolving throughout the season.
Here's hoping for that same lethality out of the gate this season for this team!

I'm looking forward to Tanner Mordechai and Joshua Dobbs too in preseason. I think both these guys are younger and more athletic than Brandon Allen. I'm hoping one of these guys unseats Allen and gets that QB squad a bit younger.

I don't know how long we can keep Brian Griese as a 49er coach, but I'm hoping ShanaLynch can get either Steve Young, Alex Smith or Jeff Garcia as the next coach in line to coach Purdy if we lose Brian.

Mordechai seems like someone we can use odd packages for. Isn't he super athletic? Maybe use him like the saints used Hill?

I like the idea of having

• Brock (starter)
  • Dobbs (I think he's an awesome backup)
  • Mordachai - a developmental guy who can be used in special packages if we want to get crazy.
Mordechai is much faster and seems more athletic than Brock. I like Allen too, but the age factor is a little bit of a negative for me. Dobbs I think is a bit taller as well as athletic also, but I could be wrong though.

Mordechai and Dobbs might have the mental intangibles to develop into a Brock Purdy 2.0. It's a long shot for both though - but I was impressed with both their Brock-Like intangible similarities to be able to absorb new playbooks and master the basics vs other so called equivalent first round pick level talents. (At least for Dobbs)

Walsh was able (I think) to convert backup QBs into low round picks (Bono and Elvis) later in their careers, but I could be wrong though. It would be nice to have some extras 5th and 6th round picks if these 2 QBs develop into tradable players a la Brieda.

I'm intrigued by Dobbs, smart, shown he can win games.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I'm intrigued by Dobbs, smart, shown he can win games.

I was really impressed with him when he was with the cards. He was given a very difficult task with the Vikings but he seemed to be a solid player with the cards last year, did a good job against us at least. Way more mobile than I anticipated.

this is actually impressive - it's hard to win a game when your defense is giving up 21+. Obviously mahommes is ridiculous but impressive Brock has a winning record with it - shows how many points we put up with him at the helm.

this is actually impressive - it's hard to win a game when your defense is giving up 21+. Obviously mahommes is ridiculous but impressive Brock has a winning record with it - shows how many points we put up with him at the helm.

Ya that's ridiculous
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Ya that's ridiculous

How many games has he started? 25 or so? And 11 of them we've given up 21+, pathetic on this defenses part. They need to get their dominance back so we can cap off a chip
How many games has he started? 25 or so? And 11 of them we've given up 21+, pathetic on this defenses part. They need to get their dominance back so we can cap off a chip

They made it all the way to the end. Then they had to face the guy that's #1 on the list you provided.

Percent of Career w/defense giving up 21+:
Patrick Mahomes - 63%
Brock Purdy - 44%

And even then,...he still blows the stat up as you provided.

Wouldn't use the defense as an excuse here,...especially if facing off against "that guy" again. No need to exaggerate about how only Brock's doing his job on the team. No fake props are needed,....there's just somethin different about Mahomes.
[ Edited by random49er on May 27, 2024 at 7:18 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

They made it all the way to the end. Then they had to face the guy that's #1 on the list you provided.

Patrick Mahomes - 63%
Brock Purdy - 44%

Wouldn't use the defense as an excuse here,...especially if facing off against "that guy" again. No need to exaggerate about how only Brock's doing his job on the team. No fake props are needed,....there's just somethin different about Mahomes.

Once again the 2 times we've played Mahomes you can't expect the d to play great near perfect all 60 mins. Twice our offense failed to put up pts when Mahomes either turned the ball over giving us great field position, horrific blocking causing missed pts and just boneheaded plays/turnovers. To beat this f**king guy every unit has to pick each other up, capitalize on their mistakes and not play dumb football making things much easier for him. Mahomes is good as hell but honestly we've made things way easier for his ass 2 times. F**k bringing up the NFL and refs it helps but even with them on their side or what not we have 7 playing the right way.

Mahomes is impressive but this stat might be misleading because the Chiefs O has been so good (except for last year) that in many of those wins their D allowed a lot of points in garbage time.
Game Manager.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Once again the 2 times we've played Mahomes you can't expect the d to play great near perfect all 60 mins. Twice our offense failed to put up pts when Mahomes either turned the ball over giving us great field position, horrific blocking causing missed pts and just boneheaded plays/turnovers. To beat this f**king guy every unit has to pick each other up, capitalize on their mistakes and not play dumb football making things much easier for him. Mahomes is good as hell but honestly we've made things way easier for his ass 2 times. F**k bringing up the NFL and refs it helps but even with them on their side or what not we have 7 playing the right way.

Yep, so damn frustrating
Originally posted by random49er:

Patrick Mahomes - 63%
Brock Purdy - 44%

No, Mahomes 65%
Purdy 54.5%

It's a winning record, and one of only two.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In my eyes, that's being limited. Being "limited" isn't just physical - it's mental as well.

if you struggle to handle the mental aspect of playing qb at its highest level, you're limited. So much of being a top notch qb is mental. It's why I say "either you have it or you don't". The physical aspect of playing qb is probably the least important aspect, a ton of guys have great physical skill sets. It's can you lead, can you anticipate, can you process, can you do all of that while under immense pressure, what are your study/work habits (not just working out). Etc.

what makes gauging if a guy will work out as a qb or not is that it's insanely difficult to measure someone's mind and how they see/process stuff.

this is why I always say that having a great physical skill set at qb isn't that important. Your physical tools just need to be good enough, it's really someone's mind that makes a great qb or not.

Those are good points and very true IMO. Brock "has it" between the ears. He also has enough athletic ability. His scrambling and running is under rated. Plus his arm is accurate and strong enough. Lots of great athletes can't play QB good. Justin Fields is a great example. He's fast and has a strong arm. But he can't play anywhere near as good of QB as Brock Purdy.

I remember an old Joe Namath article about him being able to process so fast that everything around him during a play seemed to slow down. I recollect an old Joe Montana tv interview which he mentioned the same thing. I'm wondering just how slow the game will be for Brock if he elevates his processor even faster - potentially - this upcoming season.

He will get better at that. It's already his best part. He can be in the MVP race this year. Last year they were always going to vote against him. Looking for excuses. This year it will be harder to not notice he's good because it's been years now. He just needs to not have that 1 clunker game like the Ravens at the end of the year. Plus the stats even a little more up. Both of which are possible.

If Brock does another 12-5 season, I think he's going to be up there in the top three QB's gunning for the MVP race. I think it's almost a lock for the Shanahan offense to generate a ton of passing offense. I remember Jimmy's passing was still generating great stats despite being a 2nd tier QB talent vs Brock's Elite level talent.

As for Brock's intangibles - there's a ton of room for improvement. I mean football is so much more of a mental game now than it was back even in Walsh's Dynasty days. One example is that the QB's now call *two* plays in the huddle, vs only one back in the day. I feel that Brock is going to be unstoppable this year in the passing game. I think what will make or break this years Superbowl run is the defense.
Share 49ersWebzone