There are 198 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by tankle104:
How many games has he started? 25 or so? And 11 of them we've given up 21+, pathetic on this defenses part. They need to get their dominance back so we can cap off a chip

They made it all the way to the end. Then they had to face the guy that's #1 on the list you provided.

Percent of Career w/defense giving up 21+:
Patrick Mahomes - 63%
Brock Purdy - 44%

And even then,...he still blows the stat up as you provided.

Wouldn't use the defense as an excuse here,...especially if facing off against "that guy" again. No need to exaggerate about how only Brock's doing his job on the team. No fake props are needed,....there's just somethin different about Mahomes.

No, Mahomes 65%
Purdy 54.5%

It's a winning record, and one of only two.

Lol....no. Mahomes has about 96 career starts. I was discussing the # of times the other team scored 21+ regardless of the outcome. 60/96 = 63%.

For Purdy's starts (going trusting the post above), you're at 44%.

Purdy's gotten much more help from the defense in that regard so it's not the time to call out our D with this stat.
Lol....no. Mahomes has about 96 career starts. I was discussing the # of times the other team scored 21+ regardless of the outcome. 60/96 = 63%.

For Purdy's starts (going trusting the post above), you're at 44%.

Purdy's gotten much more help from the defense in that regard so it's not the time to call out our D with this stat.

I don't think our defense is bad but if they're letting up 21+ over 44% of the time (essentially half of the time), that means they're average half of the time.

This stat is more complex than just what's being discussed cause there are factors like garbage time etc but it clearly illustrates that our defense has been good-average quite a bit of the time when it's usually elite.

Then offense is leading the league in points, if we can get our defense back to being consistently dominate (especially in the run game) - it would greatly increase our ability to win it all. I'm really intrigued by our off season additions on D, they weren't sexy but i think they were really good quality players across the board.
This stat is more complex than just what's being discussed cause there are factors like garbage time etc but it clearly illustrates that our defense has been good-average quite a bit of the time when it's usually elite.=

Cool but the guy that's #1 on the list has had it much worse (per the stat), and he's gotten 3 rings in the process. So I don't think we can pin this one on the dfefense, but there'll be plenty of other stats as the season nears where we can say it's all their fault.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I don't think our defense is bad but if they're letting up 21+ over 44% of the time (essentially half of the time), that means they're average half of the time.

This stat is more complex than just what's being discussed cause there are factors like garbage time etc but it clearly illustrates that our defense has been good-average quite a bit of the time when it's usually elite.

Then offense is leading the league in points, if we can get our defense back to being consistently dominate (especially in the run game) - it would greatly increase our ability to win it all. I'm really intrigued by our off season additions on D, they weren't sexy but i think they were really good quality players across the board.
Maybe one reason for the stat is that Mahomes arm is up there with the Elways, Namath's and Staubach's and one reason I think Pat has that kind of stat is his arm. Despite a opposing team scoring 21+ points on his defense and being ahead of his team - he has a cannon of an arm that can bring his team up from behind.

It's interesting that Brock's stats are trending in that direction, too, despite not having the same kind of arm. I wonder what Brady's and Montana's stats were.🤔
This stat is more complex than just what's being discussed cause there are factors like garbage time etc but it clearly illustrates that our defense has been good-average quite a bit of the time when it's usually elite.=

Cool but the guy that's #1 on the list has had it much worse (per the stat), and he's gotten 3 rings in the process. So I don't think we can pin this one on the dfefense, but there'll be plenty of other stats as the season nears where we can say it's all their fault.

Pat had an awesome defense last year, they only allowed like one team to score at least 27 on them - that's incredible.

regardless, who's arguing that what pat has done isn't incredible? It's really as simple as "it's wild that both of them are the only QBs to have a winning record in games when their defense gives up 21+".

anything else is nonsense. It's impressive on both of their fronts. Pat has three super bowls in 7 or so years. Brock's only full season ended in OT of the Super Bowl. Let's see what it looks like 6-7 years from now.
Fred Warner on Brock:

"People gotta understand and remember that he's only going into Year 3," Warner said. "But you'd think he's going into Year 7 like me because that's just the presence that he holds and the type of guy that he is. And I think what's been cool to see is just his growth and maturity as a leader in our locker room, and the guy, right? And he's earned every bit of that in the way that he's worked, and the way that he's played – especially in the biggest moments."

"He's had a lot of experience just within a short two years, and his best ball is ahead of him which is scary because he has played at an MVP level. When the time does come he'll be the reason we have an opportunity to win a Super Bowl"
Fred Warner on Brock:

"People gotta understand and remember that he's only going into Year 3," Warner said. "But you'd think he's going into Year 7 like me because that's just the presence that he holds and the type of guy that he is. And I think what's been cool to see is just his growth and maturity as a leader in our locker room, and the guy, right? And he's earned every bit of that in the way that he's worked, and the way that he's played – especially in the biggest moments."

"He's had a lot of experience just within a short two years, and his best ball is ahead of him which is scary because he has played at an MVP level. When the time does come he'll be the reason we have an opportunity to win a Super Bowl"

Love hearing all this. I also feel like some of our players said the same s**t about Jimmy.

im excited that he actually gets a full off season to work on stuff besides trying to make the team or rehab. Hopefully he takes all that momentum and keeping improving.
a lot goes into football, but if we want to be quick and dirty it's often your QB and HC. You want to be elite in both. I see these teams meeting it:

Chargers
Chiefs
Ravens
Jags (if TL bounces back)
Lions (borderline with Goff)
Packers
Rams
49ers

how we fit in depends on how you would rank Kyle vs the coaches above and Brock vs the QBs above
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Fred Warner on Brock:

Love hearing all this. I also feel like some of our players said the same s**t about Jimmy.

im excited that he actually gets a full off season to work on stuff besides trying to make the team or rehab. Hopefully he takes all that momentum and keeping improving.

We know they didn't say that last part about Jimmy, with all due respect to him lol.

The other obvious difference is where each guy was in their respective careers. Fred is 100% it's funny how the perspective and expectations on Brock are so different than players in the same timeframe in their career.

Career accomplishments so far he's been above Mahomes through their first 2 seasons. Now obviously Mahomes went into another stratosphere in year 3+ but Brock has a 4-2 record in the playoffs after just 2 years in the NFL.

One of those losses was him getting his elbow torn up on the first drive of the game. The other was him getting the team a lead every time he was on the field in the 4th qtr/OT and watched helplessly as the defense failed to stop one of the best QBs in the game from winning another one.

I just hope our OL gets it's sh*t together for this season and beyond and we really get to see Brock cook.
Originally posted by genus49:
We know they didn't say that last part about Jimmy, with all due respect to him lol.

The other obvious difference is where each guy was in their respective careers. Fred is 100% it's funny how the perspective and expectations on Brock are so different than players in the same timeframe in their career.

Career accomplishments so far he's been above Mahomes through their first 2 seasons. Now obviously Mahomes went into another stratosphere in year 3+ but Brock has a 4-2 record in the playoffs after just 2 years in the NFL.

One of those losses was him getting his elbow torn up on the first drive of the game. The other was him getting the team a lead every time he was on the field in the 4th qtr/OT and watched helplessly as the defense failed to stop one of the best QBs in the game from winning another one.

I just hope our OL gets it's sh*t together for this season and beyond and we really get to see Brock cook.

if you look at KC vs SF thru the lens of QB / HC, you see why we are losing. Reid / Mahomes is #1 in the league in that metric, no surprise they are the active dynasty. Brock elevating his game to insane levels is probably our best hope.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Fred Warner on Brock:

Well the main thing Jimmy had going for him was the players did love him. He was a good leader. But I don't recall players saying he was playing at an MVP caliber.

its interesting cause at the time, Jimmy was the best qb they'd been around and we won a lot with him. I'd really like an honest take, which I doubt will happen, from a player to discuss the differences in ability/performance in Jimmy/Brock. I think it's fairly noticeable - Brock has made it very blantantly clear how much Jimmy was holding us back (I knew Jimmy was limited but I personally didn't think he was holding us back as much as he actually was).

I thought aiyuks comment of getting the ball on any play now was really telling. I can't wait to see/hear how Brock has improved in camp this year. If he takes another step, could do some great things. It's exciting
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
if you look at KC vs SF thru the lens of QB / HC, you see why we are losing. Reid / Mahomes is #1 in the league in that metric, no surprise they are the active dynasty. Brock elevating his game to insane levels is probably our best hope.

We didn't lose cause mahommes and Reid are exponentially better than us, we had every chance to win that game - we just blew it. Numerous turnovers, not capitalizing in the red zone, didn't take advantage of turnovers etc. we were begging to lose that game - it's a shame but hopefully we win the big one next time
Well the main thing Jimmy had going for him was the players did love him. He was a good leader. But I don't recall players saying he was playing at an MVP caliber.

its interesting cause at the time, Jimmy was the best qb they'd been around and we won a lot with him. I'd really like an honest take, which I doubt will happen, from a player to discuss the differences in ability/performance in Jimmy/Brock. I think it's fairly noticeable - Brock has made it very blantantly clear how much Jimmy was holding us back (I knew Jimmy was limited but I personally didn't think he was holding us back as much as he actually was).

I thought aiyuks comment of getting the ball on any play now was really telling. I can't wait to see/hear how Brock has improved in camp this year. If he takes another step, could do some great things. It's exciting

the biggest difference is BP has the internal clock, JG would go simple jack if the play or throw wasn't on.

We didn't lose cause mahommes and Reid are exponentially better than us, we had every chance to win that game - we just blew it. Numerous turnovers, not capitalizing in the red zone, didn't take advantage of turnovers etc. we were begging to lose that game - it's a shame but hopefully we win the big one next time

i agree tank. my premise is football there is a lot going on. so more to it than just QB and HC. but if we want to boil it down quickly that's who is doing all the winning. Brady went to 10 Super Bowls, with elite HC. Now KC has the best pairing and is the dynasty. That's the easiest way to predict success, QB and HC. excited to see BP with a true offseason to work on his game

i agree tank. my premise is football there is a lot going on. so more to it than just QB and HC. but if we want to boil it down quickly that's who is doing all the winning. Brady went to 10 Super Bowls, with elite HC. Now KC has the best pairing and is the dynasty. That's the easiest way to predict success, QB and HC. excited to see BP with a true offseason to work on his game
Brady won without BB, BB hasn't done anything before or after Brady. It's more QB than anything else
Share 49ersWebzone